Name: Mrs Martha HOPPER
Given Name: Mrs Martha
Birth: 1766 in ,North Carolina,USA
Death: AFT 1850 in ,Polk,Missouri,USA
LDS Baptism: 16 APR 1994 Temple: BOISE
Endowment: 23 AUG 1994 Temple: BOISE
!CENSUS:1850 U.S. Census, Johnson Twp,Polk Co,Missouri, Roll 411, Vol 11,
Change Date: 29 DEC 1999 at 00:00:00
p.R56, LDS FHL Film #443619. NOTES: 83 in 1850, born in North Carolina, blind, lived with Daniel and Rachel Molder family.
DIED: after 10 OCT 1850 and before 1860. (Assumed from Fed Census records.)
NOTES: She was blind in 1830 Federal Census, Madison Co, TN.
Her age is listed wrong in 1830 Fed Census. She was 63 in 1830.
Census age listings: 1820: Age 45; 1830: Bet 50/60; 1840: Bet 70/80; 1850: Age 83.
Martha is listed with the family of Rachel and Daniel Molder in Madison
Co, TN in the 1830 Fed Census. She was then evidently a widow, thus indicating that Charles had died between 1820-30. She continued to live with her daughter, Rachel and son-in-law, Daniel Molder and moved with them from Madison Co, TN to Polk Co, MO between 1830-34. She is with them in Johnson Two, Polk Co, MO in the 1840 Fed Census, and again listed with the family in the 1850 Fed Census of Polk Co, MO.
NOTE: I have not found her maiden name yet.
Not in Ancestral File 4.13.
Following is an interesting excerpt I found in: "Genealogical Data From Southwest Missouri Newspapers 1860-1870"; Volume 2, p 43; LDS FHL Fiche #608891: "Mrs. Hopper, who has for some years been partially insane, on Fri. week last started from residence of W.W.Burkett's refusing to tell where she was going. On Sunday following, she was found dead in the road. She was old and decrepid and is supposed to have fallen down in the road and perished for want of assistnce." Excerpt dated: March 9, 1867. If this was Martha, she would have been about 101 yrs old when she died. The reason I believe this may have been Martha is: When daughter, Rachel died Daniel married Elinda Bradley, who died in 1864. Daniel then married Judith Predeau. Judith was Daniel's wife in 1867, and Martha was living with them in 1860 according to the 1860 Census. She was not with them in the 1870 census. Judith's deceased first husband's surname was "Burchett," which is very close to the spelling of "Burkett" in the newspaper excerpt. Judith, and Martha could have been visiting Judith's Burchett relatives when Martha walked away and died, or she could have been staying with some of Judith's relatives. [Research to do: Check Obituaries in Polk Co, for 1867.]
Charles HOPPER b: 1763 in ,North Carolina,USA
in ,North Carolina,USA
- Sealing Spouse:
28 MAY 1996
- Note: !MARRIAGE: LDS Church Family Search LDS Options; Ordinance Index; North America; Parent Search; IGI Addendum 1.00; Call #20346622.
- Gabriel HOPPER b: 23 DEC 1785 in Salisbury District,Rowan,North Carolina,USA
- Semour HOPPER b: 13 OCT 1787 in ,Rowan,North Carolina,USA
- Sylvana HOPPER b: 19 DEC 1789 in ,Rowan,North Carolina,USA
- Elizabeth HOPPER b: 29 FEB 1792 in ,Rowan,North Carolina,USA
- Charles HOPPER b: 20 FEB 1794 in ,Rowan,North Carolina,USA
- Sarah Jane HOPPER b: 23 MAY 1796 in ,Jefferson,Tennessee,USA
- Rachael HOPPER b: 3 JUN 1798 in ,Jefferson,Tennessee,USA
- Martha HOPPER b: 19 JUL 1800 in ,Jefferson,Tennessee,USA
- Cynthia HOPPER b: 20 JAN 1803 in ,Tennessee,USA
- Archibald HOPPER b: 24 FEB 1805 in ,Grainger,Tennessee,USA
- Mahala HOPPER b: 8 DEC 1808/1809 in Knoxville,Knox,Tennessee,USA
- Mahuldah HOPPER b: 10 APR 1812 in ,Grainger,Tennessee,USA