Name: William Walter HOWARD
Birth: 15 Jan 1849 in Cooper, Missouri, USA
Death: 23 Nov 1935 in Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah, USA
Burial: 25 Nov 1935 Brigham City Cemetery, Box Elder, Utah, USA
LDS Baptism: 14 Mar 1867
Endowment: 10 Oct 1872 Temple: SGEOR - St. George, UT
Change Date: 30 Jul 1901 at 07:07
Title: William Walter Howard
William lived on a farm in Decatur County, Iowa about 1850with his paternal grandparents (Wm and Esther Ashby Howard).
Wiliam was a lumberman.
William Howard died at the home of Mrs. LettyChristoffersen Sunday at 1:30 pm following a short illness.He came to Utah in 1865. He married in the Endowment House. He moved to Rockland, Idaho in 1884. Sixteen years laterhe moved to Brigham City. His sons and daughters survivingare William W. Howard of American Falls, Idaho; John C.Howard of Carlin, Nevada; Mrs. Lola Sweeten; Edward L.Howard of Fair Oaks, California; Letty Christoffersen; Mrs.Verna Minear; Charles A. Dewey; Jack Howard of Pine,Arizona. Funeral services at the Sixth Ward. He will beburied in the Brigham City Cemetery.
Notes from Letty:
W.W. Howard, when three years old, went to hisfather's parents in Decatur County, Iowa-- William Walterand Esther Howard. He spent ten years with his grandparentsand then traveled west (at the age of 13). He camped nearBear Lake where he met his older brother, Andrew J. Howard.
After her mother died, her father, Wm. W. Howard,visited his children in Arizona and California. He was avery active man--only ill five weeks. He mostly lived withLetty.
Letty remembers that in the spring of 1914, his "heartreached out to a homeless lad but five years old." Headopted this child and named him James. He was muchcomforted in later life by this last acquired son.
In December of 1863 in Vancouver, Washington, heenlisted as a Union soldier with the 1st WashingtonVolunteers. He served for one year and ten months and saw afew skirmishes with hostile Indians, but no real warfare.He received an honorable discharge in October of 1854.
In the army, he became acquainted with Jack Hays ofBountiful, Utah. They traveled together after the war toUtah.
After settling in Deweyville, he worked for the UnionPacific Railroad in Weber Canyon--fall 1867.
In 1871, he was a cattleman.
May of 1872 saw him working in a quartz mill inCarson, Nevada.
While living in Deweyville he was the first SundaySchool superintendent; he was one of the best riflemen inthe country.
In 1919, he made his home on South Main Street inBrigham City, Utah.
More from a newspaper clipping saved by Letty:
William W. Howar, civil war veteran, was born January 15,1849 in Cooper County, Missiour. He was raised on a farmuntil he was thirteen, then headed out west, travelling onfoot to St. Joseph, Missiour and then with a freightsompany to Washington where he met his brother, AndrewJackson Howard. He joined the Union army as a volunteer inWashington. After his discharge, he was offered a job onthe J. C. Dewey farm, where he probably met Eliza. On March14, 1867, he was baptized. He worked on the railroad andwas present at the Golden Spike in 1869. He homesteaded inDeweyville, married Eliza on October 10, 1872. She was theeldest daughter of Bishop Dewey. In the spring of 1884,they moved to Rockland, Idaho. She served several missionsfor the church and worked on the building of the LoganTemple (1878).
Father: Silas Ashby HOWARD b: Abt 1817
Mother: Phoebe TRACY b: Abt 1821
Mary Eliza DEWEY b: 9 Mar 1855 in Bountiful, Davis, Utah, USA
10 Oct 1872
in Endowment House, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
- Sealing Spouse:
10 Oct 1872
in EHOUS - Endowment House
- Change Date:
29 Jul 1901
- William Walter HOWARD b: 2 Jul 1873 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, USA
- John Cyrus HOWARD b: 18 Jan 1875 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, USA
- Charles Ashby HOWARD b: 31 May 1877 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, USA
- Edward Lorenzo HOWARD b: 14 Dec 1879 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, USA
- Mary Eliza (Lila) HOWARD b: 14 Dec 1881 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, USA
- Horace Silas HOWARD b: 26 Oct 1884 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, USA
- Phoebe Ina HOWARD b: 3 Dec 1886 in Rockland, Power, Idaho, USA
- Mabel Matilda HOWARD b: 1 May 1888 in Rockland, Power, Idaho, USA
- Ira Dewey HOWARD b: 1 Jul 1890 in Rockland, Power, Idaho, USA
- Emily Hazel HOWARD b: 18 Dec 1892 in Rockland, Power, Idaho, USA
- Letty Eunice HOWARD b: 19 Oct 1895 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, USA c: Dec 1895 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah, USA
- Verna Manila (Brownie) HOWARD b: 12 Apr 1898 in Rockland, Power, Idaho, USA
- Austin Harry HOWARD b: 1900 in , Missouri, USA
- Jack William HOWARD b: 24 Oct 1910 in Laramie, Albany, Wyoming, USA