Name: Henry LANDIS
Given Name: Henry
Birth: 1700 in Europe
Death: Nov 1760 in Manheim Twp, Lancaster Co, PA
Mennonite Minister at Hammer Creek Mennonite Church
residence before 1754: Hammer Creek, Warwick Twp, Lancaster Cnty
residence after 1754: Manheim Twp, Lancaster Cnty
Henry and Veronica lived on the Hammer Creek just west of the Cocalico Creek in Warwick Twp about five and one half miles northeast of the land for which John Landis received a patent... Most of this farm lies to the north of the Hammer Creek and is bounded on the east by what is now Erb's Bridge Road... Henry and Veronica's home, which no longer stands, was on the south side of the Hammer Creek about 100 yards southwest of Erb's covered bridge on Erb's bridge Road. This home, along with a portion of the farm north of Hammer creek was sold to Henry's son-in-law, John Schrantz (Frena's husband), evidently soon after the death of Veronica Groff. The rest of the farm was divided equally among his 11 children. This was later transfered to Peter Hull on 25 Sep 1783
They lived on the Hammer Creek in Warwick Twp on 184-1/2 acres he warranted in 1733 and patented 24 Jul 1741.(Warwick Twp Deed X-1-164 Lanc. Co Court House)
They were married approx. 25 years and had 11 children, 10 daughters and the last child, 1 son, Henry, Jr.
At the time of Veronic's death, Henry moved to Manheim Twp where he purchased 216 acres from Benjamin and Anna (Snavely) Landis on 20 Dec 1753 (Deed D-75, recorded in Lancaster Cnty 12 Jan 1754). This land was part of a patent obtained by John Jacob Snavely (Anna Snavely's grandfather) of Manheim Twp.
A house on the property was built in 1728 and was a restaurant for a number of years known as the Landis House Restaurant. Later was remodeled for commercial offices. The barn was renovated as a County court office for Lancaster Cnty. The house was lated sold back to a descendant of Benjamin Landis and has remained in the family. Reputed to be the second oldest house in Lancaster Cnty (Second only to Hans Herr House). Farm house is located at 2201 Oregon Pike, 3/4 mile NE of Roseville along Landis Run.
Around the time Henry moved to Manheim Twp he married his second wife Mary Shelley.
He was buried between Oct and Nov 1760 in Roseville Cemetery (on his Manheim Twp Farm?)
He signed a will on 26 Oct 1760 in Lancaster Cnty, giving his Manheim Twp farm to his son Henry, Jr.
A codicil of the will added to include land to be deeded to his second wife Mary - 198 acres on the Chiques Creek in Donegal Twp, Lancaster Cnty
Father: Jacob LANDIS b: 1667 in Canton Zurich, Switzerland
Mother: Anna WITMER b: 1671 in Zurich
Veronica GROFF b: 1706 in Germantown, Philadelphia Co, PA
- Henry LANDIS, JR b: 4 Mar 1751 in Warwick Twp, Lancaster Co, PA
- Mary LANDIS b: Abt 1732
- Frena LANDIS b: abt 1733
- Anna Groff LANDIS b: 1734 in Warwick Twp, Lancaster Co, PA
- Christina LANDIS b: abt 1735 in Lancaster Co, PA
- Susanna LANDIS b: abt 1736 in Warwick Twp, Lancaster Co, PA
- Barbara LANDIS b: abt 1736 in Warwick Twp, Lancaster Co, PA
- Margaret LANDIS b: abt 1743 in Warwick Twp, Lancaster Co, PA
- Elizabeth Groff LANDIS b: 9 Oct 1743
- Magdalena LANDIS b: 1744 in Warwick Twp, Lancaster Co, PA
- Catherine LANDIS b: 1747 in Warwick Twp, Lancaster Co, PA