Name: James JACKSON
Given Name: James
Birth: March 29, 1798 in Duanesburgh, Schenectady, NY
Death: January 16, 1892 in , Orleans, NY
Burial: Boxwood Cemetery, Ridgeway, Orleans, NY
Census: 1855 Ridgeway, Orleans, NY age 57, born Albany Co, NY
Census: 1865 Ridgeway, Orleans, NY age 67 farmer born Albany Co, NY
Census: 1870 Ridgeway, Orleans, NY age 72 retired farmer
Line 29, dwelling 502
Census: 1880 Ridgeway, Orleans, NY age 82 farmer
Living with son and daughter-in-law, Frank and Carolyn. The census data for 1865 indicate the father of James 1798 was born in England, his mother in NJ.
James indicates his place of birth as Albany County, corroborated by his death certificate; his brother, John, says he was born in Schoharie County; his brother, Benjamin, says he was born in Schoharie County and brother, William, says he was born in Schenectady County - all in the 1865 census. All three counties adjoin one another. The place of birth is important when attempting to place the ancestors of Jackson, born in 1775.
Obituary, Marcellus Observor, September 30, 1880 and October 14, 1880 -of James Jackson, born England 1775.
Contributed by Jodell McVey.
James was the first of three brothers to move to Ridgeway, Orleans, NY, in 1823. ? followed in 1825.
Census: 1830 Ridgeway, Orleans, NY 4 males 10 or under, 1 f under 5, 1 f 10-15; James 30-40, wife 30-40
Census: 1850 Ridgeway, Orleans, NY age 52 farmer, dwelling 550
Census: 1855 Ridgewoay, Orleans, NY age 57 farmer, b Albany County
1. Ancestry World Tree Project: Bartlett/Bain/Robinson/Marks Family Tree
2. Jackson Family History compiled by J. Ceylon Jackson, contributed by Jodell McVey.
3. Genealogical and Family of Greater Wester New York, William Richard Cutter, Vol 1, pps 306,307
4. Lynn Crowder
5. Pioneer History of Orleans County, New York by Arad Thomas, page 350
6. Stephen B. Yim
History of Orleans County, page 350:
James Jackson, eldest son of James Jackson, was born in Duanesburg, NY March 29, 1798. He married Maria Marlatte, February 21, 1819, He settled on part of lot 20, township 15, range 4, in Ridgeway in February 1823 where he has resided since. He has been a successful farmer, overcoming by sturdy industry the obstacles of sickness, hardship and the privations of a new country by which he has been beset. He has had ten children, nine of whom survived. His wife died November 13th, 1870.
Death Certificate # 4097, Ridgeway, Orleans, NY; State of New York
Died January 16, 1892, Ridgeway, NY age 93 years, 9 months, 3 days
Birthplace, Duanesburg, New York
Father, James Jackson, born London, England
Mother, Mary West, born London, England; seems to indicate his father James was married in England prior to coming to the United States.
Burial, Boxwood Cemetery
69 years at Ridgeway, Orleans, NY
Reporte by Frank Jackson, Medina, Orleans, NY
Father: James JACKSON b: May 6, 1775 in London, England
Mother: Ruth ELLISON b: ca 1780 in Mohawk Valley region, NY
Marie MARLETT b: November 15, 1797 in , Montgomerey, NY
February 21, 1819
in , Onondaga, NY
- Charles JACKSON b: 1823
- Catherine JACKSON b: January 1830 in , Orleans, NY
- Wesley JACKSON b: 1833 in , Orleans, NY
- Maria B. JACKSON b: December 1835 in Ridgeway, Orleans,NY
- Francis A. JACKSON b: January 18, 1837 in , Orleans, NY
- Julia E. JACKSON b: July 1, 1841 in Ridgeway, Orleans, NY
- Betsey JACKSON b: 1820 in , , NY
- Joyce JACKSON
- John JACKSON b: July 19, 1821 in , Onondaga, NY
- Spencer JACKSON b: 1827 in , Orleans, NY
- Mark S. JACKSON b: 1859 in , Orleans, NY