Name: Kitty Applegate
Given Name: Kitty
Birth: in ,, Oregon
Death: in ,, Oregon
! (1) Richard C. Metcalfe. E-mail email@example.com (2007). Cites: (a) Wesley Engelman. (b) "Identity of Heirs of Late Col. R.B. Metcalfe Revealed in Suit Here," "The Lexington Leader," 4 May 1906.
Change Date: 16 Apr 2011 at 01:00:00
(2) Henry F. C. Heidtmann letter dated 14 Jan 1910, Fossil, OR, to James K. Metcalfe, Silver City, NM, posing a series of questions in the form of an affadavit, with handwritten answers and attached letter from Mollie Metcalfe to Henry F. C. Heidtman. Original in possession of Richard C. Metcalfe (2008).
! Birth: (2) d/o or gd/o Chief APPLEGATE of the Shasta Tribe.
Marriage to Robert Baylor METCALFE?: (1) Abt 1853. Robert never considered himself married to Kitty, but admitted to his brother James that he was father of her 3 daughters. (2) Lived together and had children together.
(1) Robert Baylor METCALFE decided to return to TX and made arrangements to place his daughters, separately, with 3 families in OR. Each family received $1000 in gold to care for his daughters. His brother James said he believed that the daughters were taken without Kitty's consent, and she had died shortly thereafter.
(2) 1910, 14 Jan: Henry D. C. HEIDTMANN, Fossil, OR, wrote to James K. METCALFE, Silver City, NM, "Dear Uncle. Kindly answer following questions, if memory will permit you, and you feel disposed to do so, for your nieces Ellen, Winnie and Mary, daughter of R.B. METCALFE deceased." "Q: Was the Rogue River country the native country of the Shasta Indian Tribe? A: Lived on both Rogue and Klamath Rivers. Q: Were the Shasta Indians living on a Reservation at Rogue River, when you met your brother and family at Jackson Creek: A: No. Q: Was Jackson Creek included in the Reserve? A: No. Q: What was the name of the Reserve? A: Table Rock, I think. ... Q: Was your brother living on the place with his family at the time the place was taken? A: He always called it his home, but lived there only part of the time - part of the time he was mining. ... Q: What was your brothers occupation when you met him living with his family on Jackson Creek, when the children Ellen and Winnie were 4 and 2 years old? A: Mining on Jackson Creek. Q: Was Chief APPLEGATE alive at that time? A: Yes, I knew him well. Q: Were the children's mother Kitty and a sister, the only children the Chief had? A: I think they were his grandchildren. Q: Was Chief APPLEGATE's wife alive at that time? A: [He?] had three wives alive. Q: Was you with your brother and family when the Shasta Tribe was moved to the Siletz Reserve? A: Yes, he was in command of the soldier. ... Q: After arriving at the Siletz Reserve, did your brother live with his family on the Reserve until he left for Kentucky? A: Yes, but he went to Texas. Q: While with your brother, did he mention to you how long he had lived with Kitty APPLEGATE, that he considered her his wife, and that the children were his children? A: He spoke of the children as his, but he did not consider Kitty his wife, and I do not know how long he had been living with her. Q: Did the mother of the children die at the Siletz Reserve while you were there, or did she die after you and brother had left there? A: Afterwards. ... Q: Do you remember any other incidents, the happenings of which would refer to the family live of your brother Robert B. METCALFE? A: My mother gave the families who took the girls to bring up $1000 in gold. I think the children were taken without Kitty's consent."
Robert Baylor Metcalfe b: 12 Jul 1825 in , Wayne Co., Kentucky
- Ellen Metcalfe b: 8 Jan 1854 in , Jackson Co., Oregon
- Mary "Mollie" Metcalfe b: 18 Aug 1855 in , Polk Co., Oregon
- Winifred "Winnie" Metcalfe b: 8 Feb 1857 in , Jackson Co., Oregon