Name: John Billerbeck
Given Name: John
Change Date: 12 APR 2012 1
Birth: 13 NOV 1835 in Prussia 2
_SDATE: 1 JUL 1853
Note: HIs obituary says he came to Freeport the same year he immigrated, but h is daughter Anna Billerbeck Snyder's obituary says they first moved to S t. Louis and then came to Freeport at the outbreak of the Civil War.
_SDATE: 1 JUL 1861 Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois
Note: According to his daughter, Anna Billerbeck Snyder's obituary, they live d in Saint Louis, Missouri until the Civil War broke out and then moved t o Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois.
Death: 14 MAY 1899 in Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois 2
Note: His burial location is not given in his obituary, but it's very likely t hat it's Saint Joseph's Cemetery in Freeport, Stephenson County, Illino is since that's where his wife Wilhelmina is buried.
Occupation: baker and owner and operator of the Vienna Bakery corner of South Galena Avenue & Galena Street (later called Main St.), Freeport, Stephenson Co. IL
This baker, referred to as the Billerbeck Bakery, was the reason the Fr eeport High School was called the Freeport Pretzels. John Billerbeck's b akery flooded the town with pretzels, so much so that Freeport was call ed the Pretzel City. Hence the high school teams were called the Freep ort Pretzels, and still are.
PROP: large tenement house (apartment house) on South Galena Avenue, Freeport, Stephenson County, IL 2
From his wife Wilhelmina Reineke Billerbeck's obituary:
In 1880 Mr. Billerbeck and his wife opened a bakery on Galena Street in t he building now occupied by the S. Ortmeier shoe store. They conducted t heir business there until 1884, when they moved to the present location o f the Vienna Bakery on South Galena Avenue. Their business grew and in 1 888 they erected the four-story building on the northwest corner of Sou th Galena Avenue and Galena Street. (Alice Horner's note: Galena Stre et was later renamed Main Street.) In 1897 they erected another large b uilding north from Spring Street on the east side of South Galena Avenu e. The building contains a number of store rooms and apartments.
Father: A. Billerbeck
Peterkedina Van Deest b: 24 NOV 1839 in Ihrenerfeld, Leer, Ostfriesland, Germany
- Anna Billerbeck b: 12 JUL 1859 in Saint Louis, Saint Louis County, Missouri
- Anton Billerbeck b: 1862 in Illinois
Wilhelmina Reineke b: 26 DEC 1842 in Germany
15 MAY 1864
in Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois
- Charlotte Billerbeck b: 12 MAR 1867 in Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois
- Caroline Billerbeck b: 8 NOV 1866
- John F. Billerbeck b: 20 OCT 1869 in Illinois
- Josephine Billerbeck b: 27 DEC 1871 in Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois
- Charles Billerbeck b: 4 NOV 1874
- Charles A. Billerbeck b: 31 JAN 1881 in Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois
- Abbrev: Descendants of Wilhelm "William" Peters Van Deest
Title: Roger Cramer, "Wilhelm "William" Peters Van Deest family group sheet," c ompiled May 24, 2011 ().
- Abbrev: John Billerbeck obituary, http://www.genealogytrails.com/ill/stephenson
Title: John Billerbeck obituary, The Daily Journal, Freeport, Stephenso n County, Illinois, May 15, 1899, http://www.genealogytrails.com/ill/st ephenson
- Abbrev: Anna Billerbeck Snyder obituary, http://www.genealogytrails.com.ill/.stephenson
Title: Anna Billerbeck Snyder obituary, Freeport Journal Standard, Free port, Stephenson County, Illinois, March 8, 1917, http://www.genealogyt rails.com/ill/stephenson