Name: Robert Eyre
Death: 21 MAR 1459
Burial: Hathersage Church, Derbyshire
Residence: Padley, Derbyshire
Baptism: 1392 Hope, Derbyshire
BATT: Agincourt 1415
MEM: Hathersage Church, Derbyshire: altar tomb with brass
FILE: ~/Documents/Ged Pics mstr/Eyre, Robert d 1459.jpg
Title: Eyre, Robert d 1459.jpg
_SIZE: 267.000000 400.000000
_CROP: 0.000000 1.000000 162.000000 399.000000
Change Date: 2 DEC 2011
Robert Eyre bap.1392, the third son of Sir Nicholas Eyre and his wife Joana Barlow, at Hope, Derbyshire. His brothers were, Nicholas Eyre the eldest who settled in Maltby, Yorkshire and William Eyre the second son who settled in North Lees, Derbyshire.
Robert Eyre married Joana de Padley. Apparently Robert Eyre was not considered favourably by Joana?s guardian and I have read two conflicting accounts
1. The couple met secretly at Stony Middleton, a quite place in the Hope Valley, where later in their marriage Joana built a chapel to commemorate the safe return of Robert from the battle of Agincourt 1415. Unfortunately I believe that they were married around 1421.
2. That Robert with the help of some of his relations, carried Joana off by force to marry her.
A reason for not being welcome by the Padley?s may have been as a result that Robert?s father Sir Nicholas Eyre was under ban by the church for activities during battles that he was involved in. There is no mention what the activities were.
Despite all the legends they had 16 children and resulted in the following branches.
The sons shown in birth order.
1. Robert Eyre II of Padley, Highlow and Shatton.
2. Nicholas Eyre of Nether Hirst, Hathersage.
3. Roger Eyre of Holme Hall, Dunston, Newbold and Rampton.
5. Ralph Eyre of Offerton and Abney Grange.
9. Edmund Eyre of Brookfield Manor, Bubnell and Rayton.
10. Stephen Eyre of Hassop Hall and Bradway.
Father: Nicholas Le Eyre
Mother: Joanna Barlow
- Robert Eyre
- Roger Eyre
- Stephen Eyre
- Elizabeth Eyre
- Type: Web Site