Name: John De Olney
Residence: Weston, Bedfordshire
Change Date: 10 MAY 2013
Half of the Domesday manor of Weston Underwood was granted by John de Bidun in the reign of Henry I to Ralf de Nowers, who was still holding in 1166. (fn. 35) His descendant Aumary de Nowers was sued in 1222 by Amice de Clinton, mesne lord between Nowers and William Brewer, for service in the king's army at Bytham Castle in Lincolnshire, which was raised to suppress forces of William de Albemarle in 1220. (fn. 36) The Nowers were lords of Gayhurst (q.v.), with which this manor descended (fn. 37) to the last John de Nowers, against whom John Barker of Olney, merchant, obtained judgement in 1361 for the recovery of £20. (fn. 38) The sequel is probably to be found in the transfer of the manor two years later to Barker for the yearly rent of 8 marks, (fn. 39) which rent was quitclaimed to him in the following year by John de Nowers.
John Barker of Olney, who appears to be identical with John de Olney, described in 1371 as 'marchaunt' of Weston, (fn. 41) in 1375 obtained permission for himself and his wife Denise to have a portable altar and to choose their confessor.
John Olney had died before 1396, and had been succeeded by his son John, then holding the manor with his mother Denise, Sir Richard Abburbury and John Olney of London, the reversion belonging to himself. (fn. 44) On 11 May 1420 he made his will, which was proved on 2 December 1422. (fn. 45) He was survived by his wife Margery, to whom in 1439 Robert Nevill of Gayhurst, son of one of the Nowers heirs (see Gayhurst), released all right in the manor. (fn. 46) John Olney's successor was Robert Olney, probably his son, who in 1434, as Robert Olney of Weston, was required to take the oath not to maintain peace-breakers.
Father: John De Olney
Mother: Dionysia Adderbury
Margery Olney b: in Tachebrooke, Warwickshire
- Robert Olney b: 1394
- Alice Olney