Name: John Eulowe 1
Birth: in Of Ewloe, Flintshire, Wales
Residence: Chester, Cheshire
Occupation: Mayor of Chester
Change Date: 4 MAY 2013
Must be this man:
John EULOW (EWLOW) (fl.1405-11) of Chester. A Welshman.
Had a son, Edmund. (www.cheshirepast.net)
1405-11 Mayor. (www.chester.gov.uk)
1408 He led the civic authorities in their dispute with William Venables(q.v.).
1409 Suspended from office. (ibid.)
1416 He, Edmund his son, and others attacked a citizen in Eastgate Street. (ibid.)
A native Welshman (integer Wallicus natus).
A David Eulow was Mayor of Chester 1381-5.
Ewloe is a place on the Flintshire/Cheshire border.
Throughout the later 14th and earlier 15th century the main civic offices in Chester were dominated by a relatively small group of families, mostly merchants, such as the Blunds, Bellyetters, Hopes, Hattons, Ewloes, and Whitmores. Such men were often rich: John Ewloe (mayor 1405-10, d. 1418) owned property in Bridge Street, Watergate Street, Cuppin Lane, and Cow Lane, land in the fields of Handbridge and Claverton, and fishing stalls in the Dee, as well as extensive holdings in right of his first wife in and near the city.
John Ewloe (mayor of Chester 1405-10, d. 1418) owned property in Bridge Street, Watergate Street, Cuppin Lane, and Cow Lane, land in the fields of Handbridge ...
The year 1409 is remarkable fur the mayor; John Ewloe, being removed from the government of the city of Chester, which was transferred to Sir William Brereton.
In 1395 we find the enrolment of a lease to [a] John de Ewloe of the coal-mines in Ewloe, "excepting those which the heirs of Ithel ap Blethin held on their own land."
1398: Licence for John de Eulowe,of the county of Chester, who holds certain lands and tenements of the king in Eulowe,co. Flint, by the services of 8d year for every acre of land?
Extract from Roll of Court of Ruthin held before John de Eulow, steward of Deffren Cloid, February 24, 1402...
Nothing was received for the demesne coals at Ewloe in 1407 and only small sums from Welshmen for the following three years. John de Ewloe, mayor of Chester since 1404, successfully re-applied for his lease in 1408,81 but owing to accumulated debts had to relinquish his hold on them in 1413-14.82 The favourable terms of £ 3 6s. Sd. for the first two years, and £ 4 p.a. until the lease's expiry date, must be taken as either an attempt to get John to retain his holding, or to get coal production re-started. The increasingly expanding population of Chester and the guilds that served them would have been anxious to have their supplies of stone-coal renewed. The extent to which this materialised during the first half of the fifteenth century is difficult to determine. What we are told with some certainty is that the city's inhabitants were still complaining in 1450 of their poor trade with the Welsh.
- Elizabeth Eulowe b: 1411
- Type: Gedcom File
- Type: Book
Periodical: Victoria County History of Cheshire