Name: John Horsey
Death: DEC 1546
Burial: 23 DEC 1546 North Transept, or "Horsey Ilse?, Sherborne Abbey
Residence: Clifton Maybank, Somerset
Occupation: Sold Longleat to the Thynnes
MEM: Wickham chapel, Sherborne Abbey, Dorset: effigy of him and son
FILE: ~/Documents/Ged Pics mstr/Horsey, John, d 1546.jpg
Title: Horsey, John, d 1546
_SIZE: 500.000000 300.000000
_CROP: 0.000000 58.000000 313.000000 157.000000
Change Date: 19 JAN 2013
He lived in the reign of King Henry VIII. At the time of the dissolution of monasteries, his land adjoined that of the Abbot of Sherborne, and there is a letter showing that he secretly paid Thomas Cromwell 500 marks in order to be appointed that Abbot's steward. He was, as a consequence, on the spot in 1539 when the Sherborne Monastery was dissolved and he purchased it for £1,242, including the Sherborne Abbey Church and churchyard, and the manors of Bradford Abbas, Trill and Creech on the Isle of Purbeck. He left his widow the Parsonage of Bradford; the Count [Court?] Baron House was located on the back portion of the Parsonage land.
Will: Written 20 Dec 1546 Proved 20 Jun 1547.
His son Sir John married Edith Phelips.
On Jan. 4, 1539-40, Sir John Horsey (3) obtained by Indenture from the Court of Augmentations, a lease of all the prebend of Sherborne for 21 years, expiring in 1560-1 (3). If the word "all" meant to be understood literally, then Sir John Horsey was in possession iof both the Rector's and Vicar's share of the Sherborne prebend. There were three successive Sir John Horsey's who farmed the Sherborne prebend in turn:
1. the lay impropriator, who died in December 1546
2. his son, who died in January 1564-5
3. his grandson. who died July, 1589
All of them were buried in the North Transept, or "Horsey Ilse," of the abbey church. The first Sir John reserved the transept to his own use when he sold the abbey church to the parishioners, intending no doubt to place the family vault there. In 1547-8, according to the Churchwardens' Account for that year, the parishioners bought the North Transept for #8; and later, the Horsey monument was removed to the adjoining so-called Wickham chapel.
On October 29, 1545, Sir John was granted an extension of the lease for another 20 years, to take effect from the date of the expiry of the former one - i.e., giving him possession of it until 1580-1.
By his will, dated December 20, 1546, he left his term of years in the tithes of North Wootton, Whitfield, Burton Lillington and Holnest, parcel of the prebend of Sherborne, to his cousin, John Leweston, and his assigns, out of which he was to pay #9 per annum to his son and heir, the second Sir John Horsey.
Henry VIII on 4 January, 1540, made over to Sir John Horsey the house and site of the late dissolved monastery together with certain of its possessions. (fn. 91) Sir John, on 26 March following, sold to the parishioners of Sherborne, for the sum of 100 marks, the conventual church, which has from that time been the parish church of the town.
When the Clifton Maybank mansion was demolished near the end of the 18th century, the entrance was saved and brought to Montacute.
In 1539 the Priory of Longleat was sold by the Crown to him, and in 1540 he resold it to Sir J. Thynne.
(Proceedings of Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. 1906. p237.)
Father: John Horsey b: 1479
Mother: Elizabeth Turgis b: 1478
Johanna or Elizabeth Maudley
- Eleanor Horsey
- Type: Web Site
Author: Ralph Roberts
- Type: Book
Periodical: House of Commons, 1509-1558
Author: Stanley Thomas Bindoff
Publication: The History of Parliament Trust by Secker & Warburg