Name: Philip de Prendergast
Suffix: Lord of Enniscorthy 1
Residence: Enniscorthy, Wexford, Ireland
Occupation: Constable of Leinster 2
Change Date: 22 JUN 2004
Maurice De Prendergast?s eldest son Phillip went with his father to Ireland and became the Lord of Duffry, an extensive district West of Enniscorthy. He was summoned as a Baron in 1206, 1207 and 1221. In about 1190 Phillip married Maude, daughter and sole heir of Robert de Quenci, Strongbow?s standard bearer and hereditary Constable of Leinster, who was killed in a battle with the O? Dempseys and the Irish of Offailey, a few months after his wedding.
During Maude's minority Strongbow gave the Constableship and the custody of the standard and banner of Leinster to Raymond le Gros, to whom he had also given his sister Basilia in marriage at Wexford; on Maude?s marriage Phillip obtained it and became Constable of Leinster and long held the office in her right. The lands acquired at Wexford, passed in the third descent to heirs female, the Rochforts.
In 1207 he was granted 40 Knight's fees in Cork. In 1217 he received the town of Enniscorthy in exchange for other lands and in 1225 (Lord of Bantry-Duffrey Estate Enniscorthy) he built the castle at Enniscorthy, County Wexford, that is now the Wexford County museum.
Phillip De Prendergast witnessed the charters of King John and Edward 1.
Father: Maurice de Prendergast
Maude de Quincy
- Gerald de Prendergast
- Type: Gedcom File
Title: Jim Weber
- Text: Origins of the Prendergast Name.