Name: Thomas Restwold 1
Occupation: Lord of manor of Southcote, Berks.
Change Date: 10 SEP 2009
The hamlet of SOUTHCOTE (Sudcote, Southcott) lies to the south-west of Reading. In 1086 Southcote was held by William de Braose. By the early 13th century it had been attached by the Braoses to the honour of Knepp (co. Sussex), of which it was held by Henry Belet. In 1337 a grant of free warren was made to Michael Belet for his demesne lands there. In 1365 Southcote was held by Thomas Restwold and Alice his wife, who appears to have been an heir. Lucy daughter of Henry Restwold married Lawrence Drew of Seagry, Wiltshire; their son Thomas Drew of Seagry left a daughter Margaret, born about 1420, who became her father's heir. She married Walter Sambourne and died in 1494. The inquisition taken after her death stated that she held the manor of Southcote of Hugh Kenepy by fealty only for all service, and that it was worth £20; but according to the inquisition taken after the death of her son Drew Sambourne the manor was held of the Abbot of Reading 'as of Canape Manor.' ( The correct tenure had evidently been lost.
Drew Sambourne's heir was Margaret the daughter of his eldest son William; Margaret married William second Lord Windsor, whose grandson Henry Lord Windsor sold Southcote to Anthony Blagrave (Feet of F. Berks. Hil. 38 Eliz).
- Henry Restwold
- Type: Web Site
- Type: Book
Periodical: Victoria County History of Berkshire