Name: John Hedworth 1
Burial: 5 JAN 1600 1
Residence: Harraton, co Durham
Change Date: 23 JUL 2011
Only son of his mother (and he had four sisters).
Married Jane dau of John Bellasis.
Said in several books to have divorced Margaret Belasis in 1549.
The Hedworths held at their highest pitch of elevation, besides Harraton, the manor of Southwick, the Grange of Saltwellside, Urpeth, Ricleden near Chester, lands in Cleadon, Whitburne, Scots House, Jarrow, Hedworth, and Sunderland, and in Moorhouse and Picktree, part of the manor of West Herrington, derived from the heir of Darcy, the manor or grange of Burnigill, and lands in Woodham, Brafferton, and Bursblades, traced from the heiress of Chaunceler.
In 1599, Sir John Hedworth executed a long entail of most of these estates:
1. to his only grandson John Hedworth, with remainder to:
2. John Hedworth (of the Deanery).
3. Charles Hedworth, a younger son of Old Sir Ralph Hedworth.
4. John Hedworth, son of Marmaduke deceased, (who ran away with Lady Dacre,) brother of Charles.
5 and 6. John and Arthur Hedworth, brothers of Marmaduke:
7. William Hedworth, of St. Martin's in the Fields
8. John Hedworth, of Durham, Barrister at Law; sons of Anthony Hedworth, of Jarrow, brother of Old Sir Ralph Hedworth.
Father: Ralph Hedworth
Mother: Anne Hilton
Jane Belasyse b: 1540
- Ralph Hedworth
- Type: Book
Periodical: The History & Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham
Author: Robert Surtees