Name: William de Monte
Residence: Craig, Stanhope, co Durham
Change Date: 31 OCT 2007
We will begin with the proprietors of this house [Stanhope] before the Fetherstons succeeded to its property. The first on record is William de Monte who lived in the time of King Stephen sometime between 1135 & 1154. He is called in Latin ?de monte?, of the mountain because his mansion or castle was on a hill called Craig hill a little out of the town of Stanhope in the county of Durham. The English of his name in those days, was, no doubt William o? th? Crag. Hutchinson visited this mansion towards the end of the last century and thus describes it in his history of Durham, as it was then.
Within a little distance of the town of Stanhope, towards the west is a large ancient building, called Stanhope Hall situated on an eminence and guarded with a curtain wall to which you ascend by a large flight of many steps. This is one of the possessions of the Earl of Carlisle. It was the ancient family house of the Fetherstonhaughs, the last male of which race fell in the (wars) field in the civil wars, soon after which the estate was sold. There is a considerable demesne appertaining to this house in which are valuable lead mines.
- Robert de Stanhope
- Type: Web Site