Name: Roger de Aske
Change Date: 13 DEC 2005
The priory of Marrick was founded at the beginning of the reign of Henry II (1154-89) by Roger de Aske.
Marrick church stands partly on the site of a Benedictine nunnery founded by Roger de Aske in 1165.
The earliest document in the Leeds collection is of c.1170, a charter of Helia, son of Philip de Morton, confirming a gift of 'two bovates of land' to the nuns of Marrick. The Priory had recently been founded by Roger Aske, grandson of another Roger, to whom the manor had been granted by the Crown shortly after 1100.
Marrick Priory was one of 25 nunneries in medieval Yorkshire. It housed about a dozen nuns and was dissolved in 1539. The records are in the Stapleton family (Barons Beaumont) archive at DDCA(2)/29. They include the 1154 founding gift of Roger de Aske.
Father: Wilhomer de Aske b: 1150
Whitemal de Dalton
- Conan de Aske
- Grandfather of Wimar of Thornton