Name: Hugh de Brandeston
Change Date: 28 DEC 2010
Hugh de Brandeston is mentioned as lord of Lapworth, Warwickshire, in 1348, at which date his wife was Christine, (fn. 36) and in 1359, (fn. 37) and 1361, (fn. 38) when his wife's name was Sybil.
He died in 1362 leaving three daughters, of whom one, Beatrice, was a nun at Wroxall; (fn. 39) his estates were therefore divided between the other two?Rose, who married Richard de Montfort, and Agnes, who married first Philip de Aylesbury and afterwards John Buckmore.
In 1356 Hugh son of Henry de Braundeston sued the Prior of Chalcombe for the manor of Grandborough, which he claimed had been entailed on his grandfather by the gift of Mr. Henry. The prior replied that he did not hold the whole manor, but for the part which he held he called to warranty the three sisters and heirs of Edmund de Bereford. The suit, apparently as the result of bribery, ended in Hugh's favour. He then enfeoffed John de Haveryngdoune, vicar of Chalcombe, and Thomas Sarazin, chaplain; but on his death-bed Hugh acknowledged to them that he had recovered it from the priory by unjust means and charged them to restore it. They therefore sought, and obtained, the king's licence in 1362 to assign it to Chalcombe Priory, to save the soul of Hugh from mortal peril.
In 1372 Hugh de Braundeston?s daughters Roese and Agnes with their respective husbands Richard de Montfort and Philip de Aylesbury shared the manor, which was called Harecourtfee and was held of the Prior of Coventry as half a knight's fee; and in 1390 Roger Aylesbury conveyed the reversion thereof after the death of his mother Agnes to William Montfort (son of Richard). William's daughter Margaret married John Catesby, in whose family the manor remained for about 100 years.
Father: Henry de Brandeston b: 1283
- Rose de Brandeston