Residence: Quidhampton, Wiltshire
Change Date: 24 MAR 2009
The Partition Roll gives Quidhampton among the knights' fees of Giles Lord Badlesmere in 1340. It was held by Robert Russell at a rent of 6/. yearly, and was assigned to Lord de Roos. The Prior of Bradenstoke held a tenement in Chadington of the Barony of Combe at the same time, worth 6/. 13s. 4d., and continued on the rolls as owing service for it up to the dissolution.
The estate of Quidhampton stands in the names of Oliver Russel in 1365, Robert Russell succeeded his father of the same name in 1392, Thomas Russel held it in 1404; on his death, in 1417, the wardship and marriage of his son, a minor, was claimed on account of the paramount lord, and the bailiff of the barony ordered to seize the fee into the lord's hand.
In 1424, and several subsequent years, it was held by Richard Dicton, probably as feoffee; since, in 1454, it had reverted to the Russell family; John Russel, Esquire, doing service for it in that year.
In 1476, "the tenants late of William Burdenhill," are named on the rolls as owing service for Chetington, which is a singular revival of a name, not found in connection with the estate since the time of Henry III., probably it was only used to identify the estate, the clerk of the court not knowing the actual holder, for in 1473 John Russell, the last owner, had died, and precept was issued to the bailiff of the knight's fees " to distrain John Colingbourne, who claims to be heir to John
Russell, Lord of Quidhampton, &c."
In 1475, John Colingborne, in 1481, William Colingborne, were the mesne tenants. In 1547, the Lady Elizabeth Reede; in 1600, the heir or heirs of John Spenser.
(The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine. v.2:()1855. p 284.)
In 1307 Bradenstoke priory gave the estate later known as Chaddertons in Lydiard Millicent to Robert Russell in an exchange.
The estate was later enlarged and, called Chadderton?s, reputed a manor.
It descended in the Russell family, apparently like Bradfield manor in Hullavington, and belonged to Thomas Russell in 1412.
By 1452 it had passed to John Russell (d. c. 1469), whose heir is said to have been John Collingbourne, and in 1476 it was settled on William Collingbourne (attainted and executed in 1484). [Joan Russell?s?s son]
- Joan Russell