Name: Roger Hales
Occupation: Coroner of Norfolk 1303-13
Change Date: 15 FEB 2010
His elder daughter Alice married Sir Thomas Brotherton in 1320.
Sir Roger de Hales was born about 1260 and died 1313. He was well known for funding the building of churches, including the one at Norton about 1297 and the chapel of Saint Andrew, which was initially located at Hales Hall, and in 1287 was moved to the manor of Wrantishagh, another one owned by Sir Roger.
In 1303 John Jermy and Isabell his wife purchased of Roger de Hales, 3 messuages, 120 acres of land, 4 of meadow, 8 of pasture, 15 of wood, and 20s rent in Tharston, Waketon and Forncett, which was held in the time of Henry III by Roger de Wynthsted.
Often aid to be ?of Harwich?, which originated in Ralph Brooke's Catalogue of Nobility (1619) and is repeated in several genealogies, was perhaps a mistake for Norwich.
- Jane Hales