Ancestors of a 21st century British family

Entries: 75403    Updated: 2013-05-13 12:21:32 UTC (Mon)    Owner: Richard Hodgson

Index | Descendancy | Register

  • ID: I64947
  • Name: Peter de Coudray
  • Sex: M
  • Death: ABT 1302
  • Residence: Little Woolstone, Bucks
  • LVG: 1284
  • Note: 1

    In Buckinghamshire, Fulk Coudray held Moulsoe, or Mulshoe, in the time of Henry III. (Testa de Nevill), and transmitted it to five generations of his descendants in the male line. The last heir?another Fulk?was childless; and Margery, daughter and coheir of Sir Thomas Cowdray, married Sir Roger Tyringham, a knight banneret, who was Sheriff of Bucks and Berks in 1317 and 1322.
    ---
    The manor of Little Woolstone, Bucks, was successively in the families of Paganell, Somery, Coudray, Tyringham, and Broughton.
    ---
    The de Chislehamptons transferred their rights in the manor of Little Woolstone, Bucks to the Coudrays, and in 1262 Peter de Coudray granted a messuage and a carucate of land in Little Woolstone to Hugh de Chislehampton and Rosamund his wife for life.
    Peter de Coudray, jun., who may have been a younger son, held Little Woolstone in 1284, but had been succeeded before 1302?3 by Thomas, the eldest son of Peter, who died about this date.
    Thomas de Coudray was still lord in 1316, and settled the reversion of this half fee, extended at eighteen messuages, a mill, a carucate and 8 virgates of land in Little Woolstone, on his daughter Margery and her husband Roger, son of Roger de Tyringham.
    Richard de Woodhill, probably the husband of Peter de Coudray's widow, held for life at this date and in 1325, but by 1346 Roger de Tyringham was in possession. By 1397 Little Woolstone had passed from the Tyringhams to the Broughtons.
    (VCH)
    ---
    Woolstone Coudray is another name for Little Woolstone.
    ---
    The manor of ASTWOOD, WITH ASTWOOD-BURY, Bucks descended from Fitz Ausculf to the family of Paganel. Fulk Paganel had a grandson, Gervase, who, in 1182, confirmed to the INIonks of Tichford, the Chapel of Eslwode, which seems to be the first mention of this place in Ecclesiastical History.

    From the Paganels, this Manor passed in marriage to the family of Somery. Roger de Soraery held this estate in 1272 ; and the same Roger, or one of the same name, in 1290; and it continued in that line until John de Somery was seised in 1342. A fine was levied about three years afterwards between William de Northwell, Clk. and Robert de Rokeley of this Manor, and also of the Church, Manor, and Advowson, (presumed to be the Ecclesiastical Manor) to the use of William de Northwell ; but the marriage of the Suttons, Barons of Dudley, with the Bottetourts, brought this Manor into the latter family.
    ---
    In 1297 Peter de Coudray granted a lease of his five manors, Padworth and Lyford in Berkshire, Herriard and Barton Stacey in Hampshire, and Moulsoe in Buckinghamshire, to his son, Thomas, for life.
  • _UID: 1DB0E505760D437B9B031A44804A25694C5D
  • Change Date: 25 APR 2013



    Marriage 1 Spouse Unknown
      Children
      1. Has Children Thomas Cowdray

      Sources:
      1. Text: THE BATTLE ABBEY ROLL.
        WITH SOME ACCOUNT OF THE NORMAN LINEAGES.
        BY THE DUCHESS OF CLEVELAND.
        IN THREE VOLUMES.?VOL. I
        (Transcribed on 1066: A Medieval Mosiac
        http://www.1066.co.nz/library/battle_abbey_roll1.htm)
    • We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

      Index | Descendancy | Register

      Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly Version Search Ancestry Search Ancestry Search WorldConnect Search WorldConnect Join Ancestry.com Today! Join Ancestry.com Today!

      WorldConnect Home | WorldConnect Global Search | WorldConnect Help
      We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

      RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.