Name: David Renton
Suffix: of Billie
Residence: Billie, Berwickshire
Change Date: 20 FEB 2013
HIS FATHER IS CONJECTURE BASED ON AVAILABLE INFORMATION.
The Barony of Renton in Berwickshire, known at the date of its foundation in the early part of the twelfth century as Reguinton and during the reign of William the Lion (1198-1210) as Renington, was one of those granted by the Scottish Crown to English settlers of distinction, chiefly of Norman descent, soon after the Conquest. The original name of the family, like those of Lamberton, Mordington, Ayton, Edington, Lumsdean and Quixwood, has not been preserved: the name Reguin ? which is Scandinavian and signifies Friend of the Storm ? pointing as probably to the previous invasion of that coast by Norse rovers in the ninth century, as do the Saxon names of Lambert and Mordyn to the still earlier invasion under the son and nephew of the Saxon Hengist in the sixth.
The lands, villages and peel (or castle) of Renton ? remains of the foundations of which castle and village are still extant behind the manor house of Renton, fourteen miles from the English border ? were situated in the parish of Coldingham, over which, with other contiguous lands forming the district known as Coldinghamshire, the Prior of Coldingham exercised ecclesiastical jurisdiction, in addition to certain rights of taxation and military service. Although Coldingham itself, or Colaunham ? the ham or town of the Meeting of the Waters ? the Colania of Ptolemy?s map of Britain, the urbs Coludi of Bede, is of much greater antiquity than Berwick, the monastery dates only from the year 1098, when it was founded by King Edgar as a dependency of Durham ? to be annexed in 1504 to the Abbey of Dunfermline; and not very long after its foundation it entered into official connection with the Renton family, as Foresters, or Rangers, over the lands of the Priory.
By Prior AErnald (1202-1208) this office was made hereditary, in the person of Richard of Rennington, who in consequence, and, it may be, others of the family, designated himself as Forester ? see the Charters of Edward de Auldcambus and David de Quixwood, attested by him respectively as Ricardus Forestarius and Ricardus de Reningtona ? and was confirmed by Prior William Drax (1418-1431) in the person of another Richard of Renton in 1421.
The oldest and most important offshoot of the Renton family were the Rentons of Lamberton, who acquired the property from the Hepburns of Hailes in the early part if the sixteenth century, in the person of David Renton, whose daughter Susan in 1543 married Andrew Haig, twelfth Baron of Bemersyde, and in favour of whose son, John Renton, the lands of Billy Castle ? the ruins of which are still to be seen ? appertaining to the Priory of St. Bathan?s, were conveyed by the Prioress in 1557. From him were descended the two Miss Rentons of Billy, celebrated by Smolett, one of whom married the first Earl of Leven, dying in 1651; the other marrying a landowner in Dumbartonshire, who, calling the group of buildings he had erected for his workpeople by his wife?s maiden name, gave origin to the now flourishing town of Renton.
[If the above suggests that the two Miss Rentons might have been sisters, they were evidently not.]
Billy became the property of David Renton of Lamberton. In 1557 teh lands of Billy were conveyed to John, son and heir apparent of David Renton of Lamberton.
Father: John Renton b: ABT 1543
- Agnes Renton b: in Billie, Berwickshire
- Text: The Rentons of Renton, William Renton, 8pp
Pub 19th Century?