Name: Ann Graves 1
Reference Number: 2516
Death: 1818 in Caswell County, North Carolina
LONG: W79.3357 1
Ann (Nancy) Graves
Ann Graves died in 1818. She married Bartlett Yancey. He was born about 1736 in Hanover County, Virginia, and died in 1784. Bartlett, a native of Granville County, North Carolina, of Welsh descent, moved to Caswell County, North Carolina, and settled some six miles south of what is now called Yanceyville. His parents were James Yancey (1713-1779) and Ann Thornton, who had migrated from Hanover County, Virginia, to Granville County, North Carolina. The following list of children is found in her will and in administration records of Caswell County, North Carolina.
Below are the children of Ann (Nancy) Graves and Bartlett Yancey, Sr. as compiled by the Graves Family Association;
1. John Graves Yancey, b.c. 1764, m. Elizabeth Lightfoot Moore, 24 Feb. 1789, d. Nov. 1818.
2. James Yancey, b.c. 1772, m (1) Lucy Kerr, 14 Jan. 1794, m (2) Zilpah Johnston, 24 June 1811, d. 17 Oct. 1829.
3. Thomas Yancey, b.c. 1769, m (1) Keziah Simmons, 24 Feb. 1789, m (2) Elizabeth Tate, 2 (or 10) Feb. 1802, d. 1804.
4. Elizabeth Perry Yancey, b.c. 1770, m. Nathaniel Slade, 26 June 1792, d. 1854.
5. Isabel (or Isabelle) Yancey, b.c. 1774, m (1) John Kimbrough, c. 1790, m (2) John (or Joseph) Collier, 17 Sept. 1805.
6. Sarah Yancey, b.c. 1777, m. Isaac Rice, 6 July 1811, d. before 1816.
7. Mary Yancey, b.c. 1768 (or 1774), m (1) John Graves (possibly #962), 13 Feb. 1794, m (2) ______ Riddle (or Biddle).
8. Nancy Yancey, b.c. 1770 (or 1775), m. Isaac Johnston, 10 Dec. 1795 (Caswell Co., NC).
9. Frances W. Yancey, b.c. 1780 (or 1784), m. Alexander Wiley, 2 Oct. 1804, d. before 1816.
10. Bartlett Yancey, Jr., b. 19 Feb. 1785, m. Nancy Graves, 8 Dec. 1808, d. 3 (or 30) Aug. 1828.
Source: Graves Family Association
Note that Louise Graves also has 1818 as the year of death. Birth date is unknown. Mother of ten children, including Bartlett Yancey, Jr. Source: Graves: Twelve Generations, Some Descendants and Kin, Louise Graves (1977).
Bartlett Yancey, Jr. (1785-1828), and Ann Graves (1786-1855) may have had ten children. Only three, all daughters, had long lives (88, 79, and 77). The average age of the others at death was around 14 years (with none of the seven making it past 30).
Set forth below is a list of those children, along with brief life facts:
1. Rufus Augustus Yancey (1809-1829). He graduated from the University of North Carolina and died unexpectedly young at age of twenty while visiting Richmond, Virginia.
2. Frances Williams Yancey (1811-1839). She is the second child and first daughter. In 1829 she married Dr. Henry McAden, M.D. (c.1800 - c.1843). The couple had four children, and Frances Williams Yancey McAden apparently died giving birth to the fourth on 3 October 1839 (Frances Yancey McAden). The children were orphaned, and a brother of Frances Williams Yancey McAden was appointed guardian.
3. The third child of Bartlett Yancey, Jr., and Ann Graves is shown by many Yancey family researchers as Caroline L. Yancey, born 13 December 1812 and died 1813. However, the existence of this person has not been confirmed. No primary source record has been found, and she has no grave marker in the Yancey Family cemetery in Yanceyville, Caswell County, North Carolina. The Yanceys did have a daughter named Caroline Louisa Yancey (thus, a Caroline L. Yancey) born much later, 19 October 1823. Of course, the existence of a later child with the same name as a deceased sibling is not without precedent.
4. Curtius Yancey (1813-1814).
5. Algernon Sidney Yancey (1816-1846). In 1838 he married his first cousin Henrietta Williams Graves (1816-1872) who outlived him by many years. Her second husband is John Howe Mebane (1806-1875). She is Mebane's third wife.
6. Mary Catherine Yancey (1817-1906). In 1837 she married Giles Mebane (1809-1899). Her mother's will gave to her the portrait of Bartlett Yancey, Jr.
7. Bartlett Yancey (born and died in June 1819). Some researchers claim that he lived until 1820, but provide no supporting documentation that would call into question the grave marker date.
8. Elizabeth Yancey (1821-1900). In 1855 she married Thomas Jefferson Womack (1831-1889), and the couple had at least four children.
9. Caroline Louisa Yancey (1823-1842). In 1841 she married Lemuel H. Mebane (1816-1855), and died the next year. However, her exact death date is uncertain.
10. The tenth (and believed last) child Graves is Virginia Bartlett Yancey (1826-1904). She was born Maria Virginia Yancey, but changed her name. In 1842 she married the notorious George William Swepson (1819-1883). No children are known.
No son of Bartlett Yancey, Jr., had a son. Thus, the Yancey name associated with this branch of the family died out in the first half of the nineteenth century.
Father: John Graves b: ABT 1715 in Virginia
Mother: Isabella Lea b: 1738 in King and Queen County, Virginia
Bartlett Yancey b: ABT 1736 in Hanover County, Virginia
in Orange County, North Carolina 1
Name: Bartlett Yancey
Spouse: Ann Nancy Graves
Marriage Date (Day, Month, Year): 1760
City: Orange County
Source: Edmund West, comp. Family Data Collection - Marriages[database online] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2001.
U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
Name: Bartlett Yancy
Birth Place: VA
Birth Year: 1736
Spouse Name: Nancy Ann Graves
Marriage State: NC
- Isabell Yancey b: ABT 1774 in Orange County, North Carolina
- James Yancey b: ABT 1768 in Orange County, North Carolina
- Sarah Yancey b: ABT 1777 in Caswell County, North Carolina
- Bartlett Yancey Jr. b: 19 FEB 1785 in Caswell County, North Carolina
- Frances W. Yancey b: ABT 1780 in Caswell County, North Carolina
- Mary Yancey b: ABT 1768 in Orange County, North Carolina
- John Graves Yancey b: ABT 1764 in Orange County, North Carolina
- Thomas Yancey b: ABT 1769 in Orange County, North Carolina
- Elizabeth Perry Yancey b: 15 FEB 1770 in Orange County, North Carolina
- Nancy Yancey b: ABT 1770 in Orange County, North Carolina
- Details: Yancey Family Genealogical Database