Name: William DREW
Prefix: 7th gg-father
Reference Number: LH5L-9D9
Birth: 1627 in Devonshire, , England
Death: APR 1669 in Dover, Strafford Co., New Hampshire
Note: or Durham
Christening: 14 NOV 1622 Wendron, Cornwall, England
LDS Baptism: 18 DEC 1894
Endowment: 11 JUN 1903
Sealing Child: 31 JUL 1997 Temple: HAWAI
FILE: /Our Pictures/Reunion pics/Immigration ship.jpeg
Title: Immigration ship
_SIZE: -1.000000 -1.000000
_CROP: 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
Change Date: 16 OCT 2015
History of Durham, Vol.2, p.134 - The Drews of England, Eng., claim descent from Drogo, son of Malger le pons, who was Uncle of William the Conqueror. Their coat of arms is thus described, ?Ermine, a lion passant gules,? and is one of the most ancient.
William Drew, born without doubt in Devonshire, 1627, was rated at Oyster River in 1648. He lived on the south side of the river, at Drew's Point, where on a hilltop may be seen the cellar of the garrison house built by him or by his son, Francis.
On the 10 Aug 1653, there were granted to William Drew sixty acres of upland, on the north side of Bransons Creek, joining to his marsh. This was laid out to his son, Francis, in 1669. The birth dates of William Drew, of his wife, Elizabeth, and of his brother Thomas are learned from depositions.
William Drew died in April 1669. His widow Elizabeth born 1628, daughter of Francis and Thomasine (Channon) Matthews married, 20 July 1671, William Follett. The inventory of Drew's estate shows a house, one cannon, two fishing boats and fishing tackle. His brother Thomas Drew, born 1632, received the farm at Drew's Point in 1680 from William Follett and wife, Elizabeth and he was killed by Indians, 18 July 1694. His widow, Mary, who married Richard Elliot of Portsmouth quitclaimed the estate in favor of John, son of William Drew, who conveyed it to Stephen Jenkins in 1712, and he deeded it to James Langley in 1714.
Passenger & Immigration Lists Index, 1500?s-1900?s, Source Publication 1262, p.94 - William Drew, year 1648, place New Hampshire, Primary Immigrant: William Drew.
History: William Drew: William Drew, of Oyster River, was born probably in Devonshire or the Isle of Wight, about 1627, and emigrated to America at some time previous to 1648, in which year he is shown by the Dover records to have owned land on the south side of Oyster River, being listed as tax-payer on October 19, 1648. He was without doubt the builder of the first Drew garrison, which was situated on Drew?s Point and was totally destroyed by the Indians at the Oyster River massacre of July 18, 1694. His wife, Elizabeth, was born in 1628, and after the death of her husband married William Follet of Kittery, Maine.
William Drew died at Oyster River in April 1669. An inventory of his estate mentions his dwelling house, one cannon, two fishing boats named ?Hopewell? and ?increase,? and a vast amount of fishing tackle which showed that he was chiefly engaged in fisheries. His estate was conveyed by William Follet and his wife to his brother Thomas Drew June 20, 1680. Thomas Drew was killed by the Indians at the massacre of 1694 and his widow, Mary, who afterward married Richard Elliot, quit claim to his estate in favor of John Drew, son of William, November 15, 1706. The estate was in turn conveyed by John Drew to Setphen Jenkins May 10, 1712, and by him to James Langley Nov 5, 1714.
William Drew, born in 1627, had wife Elizabeth, who was born in 1632; he was taxed in Dover in 1648; lived at Oyster River; was taxed there 1662 & etc. He died in 1669 intestate; his widow Elizabeth was appointed Administratrix. She married William Follet 20 Jul 1671. ?on the 8 July 1671, she conveys certain land to Thomas Drew, as equivalend to the 70 lbs due him from estate of William Drew, of Oyster River, her husband.? The children of William Drew were (1) Francis, b. 1648; (2) John born 1651; and perhaps (3) James, whose inventory was entered 25 July 1675.
Book - An Illustrated History of the Counties of Rock and Pipestone, Minnesota, by Arther P. Rose, 1911 - "As early as 1648 the name of William Drew was recorded on the tax books of Dover, NH. He later moved to Oyster River (now Durham), NH. Born in 1627, died in 1669 and left three sons, one of whom survived the father only a few years. It is to these two brothers (William and Thomas) that the founding of the American branch of the Drew family is credited."
Book- History of Strafford County, NH - Genealogical Items relating to Dover, NH, p. 36-37 - William Drew, born 1627 had wife Elizabeth who was born in 1623. He was taxed in Dover in 1648; lived at Oyster River; was taxed there in 1662. He died in 1669 intestate; his widow Elizabeth, was appointed Administer. She married William Follet 20 July 1671. "On the 8 July 1671 she conveys certain land to Thomas Drew, as equivalent to the 70 poinds due him from estate of William Drew, of Oyster River, her husband." The children of William Drew were Francis b. 1648; John b. 1651; and perhaps James whose inventory was entered 25 July 1675.
Marriage - New England Marriages Prior to 1700, by Clarence Almon Torrey, page 231 - William Drew (1627-1669) & Elizabeth Matthews (1628-), m2 William Follett 1671?/1672?; Born 1648, Isles of Shoals. Soldier in King Phillip's War - William Drew, served with Capt. Henchman.
History of the Town of Durham, NH (Oyster River Plantation), Vol.1 Narrative, page 52 - The next lot west of Wakeham's Creek was first owned by Darby Field, conveyed by him to William Roberts, and by him to William Drew before 1648. Doubtless Drew was the first one to live here, and the place was long known as Drew's Point. The cellar of his garrison house may be plainly seen and traces of the orchard around it. The house burned in 1694. This place with the Wakeham farm eventually came into the possession of the Mathes family, who seem to have gradually bought everything that joined them.
History of Durham, by Stackpole - The Rev. Hugh Adams, in a petition to the Govenor, Council and Assembly, in 1738, states that "the inhabitants of said town proceeded by their chosen committee at their most general meeting to divide their commons, voting the minister aforesaid should, as he did, draw lots for them all." The division was made in the meeting house, the land divided being largely located near Little River, in that part of Durham which is now Lee. The division was made 18 March 1733/4 and those received lands included: Wm Drew 25 acres.
History of Durham, p.39 - The next lot was granted to William Drew, 10th of 8th month, 1653, "sixty acres of upland being on the north side of Bransons Creeke joining to his marsh." This was assigned to his son, Francis Drew, and laid out in 1669. Francis Drew deeded this to his son Thomas, 9 Oct 1691. Some time after the return of Thomas from captivity in Canada he settled here with his wife, Tamsen, but the other heirs of Francis Drew long afterward claimed some right in this farm. This explains the deed of Elijah Drew, son of Thomas and Tamsen, dated 15 May 1744, when he conveyed to Joseph Wheeler and Zachariah Edgerly "all right in lands and tenements which did belong unto Mary Green of Stratham.
Book - Landmarks in ancient Dover, NH p.28 - Branson?s Creek. Mentioned the 10th 8 mo., 1653, when Wm. Drew had a grant of 60 acres of upland on the north side of Branson?s creek, joining his marsh next Thomas Willie?s land. He afterwards assigned this land to his son, Francis Drew.
Note - "The first Wm Drew I have was born about 1495 > Thomas > Edward born 1542 > Thomas b. about 1590 ? William b. 1603 m. Eliz Matthews ? John m. Rebecca Cook and on down to my mother." Natalie Rickner (email@example.com).
History - The origin of the Drews, as Drews, dates back to about the middle of the eleventh (11th) century, shortly before the invasion of the Normas into England, although their line of descent reaches back through a long line of Saxon kings to the first King of England, born about the year 780.
Sir Bernard burke, Ulster King of Arms, in his Heraldic Register, published about 1850 (p.27) gives the following: ?The preamble to the Drew pedigree, as arranged by Sir William Betham, Ulster King of Arms, and given under his official seal, attests that the ancient and knightly family of Drew, of Devonshire, are the lineal descendants of Drogo or Dru, a noble Norman, son of Walter de Ponz and brother to Richard, ancestor to the Cliffords.? He further states in his Landed Genrty, Fifth Edition, also in his Authorized Arms, published in 1860, that Walter (or William) de Ponz was Earl of Arques and Thoulouse and third son of Richard, Duke of Normandy, grandfather to William the Conquerer, King of England; that this Walter de Ponz accompanied William the Conaquerer to England, and had three sons, Walter, Dru and Richard. Dru, the second son, was the ?stirp? of the family of Drew in Devon, where he had no less than seventy-three manors at the time of the Domesday Survey. Additional records published in Nichols? Topographer and Genealogist, state that the grandson of the above Drogo, or Dru, who was called Drogo de Tign, was Lord of Tington-Drew in Devon in the reign of Henry the Second.
The Drews of Oyster River, (Dover, NH) were without doubt the earliest of the name to settle in America. They were shortly followed, however, by the Drews of Plymouth, MA.
Father: William DREW b: BEF 1601 in Devonshire, , England
Mother: Alice LLOYD b: 1603 in Devon , England
Elizabeth MATTHEWS b: 27 DEC 1623 in Ottery, St. Mary, Devonshire, England c: 27 DEC 1623 in Ottery, St. Mary, Devonshire, England
in of Devonshire, , England
- Sealing Spouse:
22 JAN 1930
- Francis DREW b: 1648 in Dover, Strafford Co., New Hampshire
- John DREW b: 1651 in Dover, Strafford Co., New Hampshire, USA
- William DREW b: ABT 1653 in Dover, Strafford Co., New Hampshire
- James DREW b: ABT 1655 in Dover, Strafford Co., New Hampshire
- Elizabeth DREW b: 1660 in Dover, Strafford Co., New Hampshire
- Hannah DREW b: ABT 1661 in Dover, Strafford Co., New Hampshire
- Thomas DREW b: 1665 in Oyster River, Strafford Co., New Hampshire