Name: Waite STILLMAN 1
Birth: 27 NOV 1758 in Westerly, Kings Co., Rhode Island
Death: 13 FEB 1833 in Petersburg, Rensselaer Co., New York
Burial: Petersburg, Rensselaer Co., New York
Change Date: 18 NOV 2005
Waite Stillman was a Private in the Rhode Island Militia in 1777- 1778
1776 Living in Stephentown, went to serve in American Revolution.
"N. Y. in Revolution," p. 227, lists him as in 6th Regiment,Albany County Militia, Land Bounty Rights. Cowell's "Spirit of' 76" lists him as a private in Colonel Topham's Regiment in 1776.
Stephentown was settled in 1766, chiefly by inhabitants from Rhode Island. Other groups came from Rhode Island in 1772, 1776,1780. Part of Stephentown became Petersburg in 1791, and Albany County was divided. This part became Renssalaer County in 1791.
1780 Seventh Day Baptist Church organized, Waite one of first members
1790 U.S. Census shows Waite had eight children
1791 1791 Recorded "earmarks" in Petersburg
1806 Berlin formed from parts of Petersburg, Stephentown, and Schodak; Waite a first settler.
1820 Overseer of Highways and Fence viewers
1829 - 1831 Name appears on road assessments list.
1833 Died, buried in Stillman Village Cemetery, one mile west of Petersburg
1843 Nov. 23, will filed in Surrogate's office, Troy, by youngest son, Perry, administrator, saying Waite Stillman died 14th Feb. 1833, and "left widow now deceased". He gave certain life rights to his widow in his farm in Petersburg and one in Berlin "where I now live"; after her to be divided among his surviving sons, of whom Paul and Perry continued to live in Berlin
Other Waite Stillman's sometimes confused with him;
1. His son Waite died at age 16.
2. His grandson Wait, son of Benjamin, "killed with cannon at general training" Sept. 2, 1839, age 23. Buried with parents in Lorraine, Jefferson County, New York
3. His grandson Waite, son of David, who settled in Alfred, N.Y., and died before his father. Waite was living with his grandfather when will was made. He was known in Berlin as Waite, Jr., and written up as a prominent citizen in "Landmarks of Renssalaer County." He is buried in Troy, New York.
The preceding was written by Hannah Amelia Stillman Bradfield in FAMILY HISTORY OF HANNAH STILLMAN (MRS. RICHARD) BRADFIELD dated November 1, 1963
Father: Benjamin STILLMAN b: 25 Jan 1724/25 in Westerly, Kings Co., Rhode Island
Mother: Mary ?Polly? SAUNDERS b: 13 MAY 1731 in Westerly, Kings Co., Rhode Island
Wealthy Chloe MAXSON b: 9 MAR 1762 in Westerly, Kings Co., Rhode Island
- Abigail STILLMAN b: 11 MAR 1783 in Hopkinton, Washington Co., Rhode Island
- Eunice STILLMAN b: 1786 in Rhode Island
- Elizabeth STILLMAN b: 8 OCT 1793 in Rensselaer Co., New York
- Perry G. STILLMAN b: 17 DEC 1800 in Petersburg, Rensselaer Co., New York
- Clarissa STILLMAN b: 24 JUN 1808 in Petersburg, Rensselaer Co., New York
- Text: Rootsweb Worldconnect database by Jon Saunders, email@example.com, http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=:2232377