Name: Ann Ophelia STILLMAN 1 2 3 4
Birth: 12 NOV 1851 in New York
Death: 2 MAR 1933 in Seattle, King Co., Washington
Change Date: 26 OCT 2011
Ann Ophelia (Stillman) Clarke 1851-1933
Categories: Alfred, New York, Deacon / Deaconess, The Sabbath Recorder Obituary
"The Sabbath Recorder", Vol 114, No 17, p 406, Apr. 24, 1933.
Ophelia Ann Stillman Clarke was born November 12, 1851, at Alfred, N. Y., and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. A. G. Elder, Seattle, Wash., March 2, 1933.
She was the daughter of Samuel N. and Chloe Sherman Stillman. She received her education in the Alfred public schools and Alfred Academy, but due to a severe illness never was graduated. She was married to Chester S. Clarke. To them were born five sons and one daughter. Three of these sons have gone to the life beyond - Percy L., Ford S., and Walton B. The two surviving are Lewis B., of Allegany, N. Y., and Clarence L., of Chicago, Ill.
At an early age she was baptized and united with the First Alfred Church. Later she transferred her membership to Nile, N. Y. In 1900, the family moved to a farm near Alfred. Here, and later in the village, she made her home, until a few years ago when failing health caused her to leave Alfred and take the trip to Washington, where with her daughter she lived until death called her. After returning to Alfred, in 1900, she moved her membership with her, and was elected as deaconess, an office of which she was well worthy and capably filled.
She was a woman of noble character, and possessed a sweetness of manor and a sincerity of grace that placed her in the eyes of her friends as one who was living close to her God and was continually drawing from his spirit. These characteristics, with her willingness to sacrifice and her devotion to others, made one feel that she was one of God's saints and that her spirit was continually flowing out and blessing others.
Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Ulysses S. Hawks of Bothell, near Seattle, Wash, and interment was in the nearby cemetery. A. C. E.
GRAD: Alfred, Allegany Co., New York: Alfred University
Census: 1880 Friendship, Allegany Co., New York: age 28
Father: Samuel Newberry STILLMAN b: 27 JUN 1812 in Newport, Herkimer Co., New York
Mother: Chloe SHERMAN b: 30 JUN 1817 in Norway, Herkimer Co., New York
Chester Smedley CLARKE b: 15 JUL 1849 in Scott, Cortland Co., New York
25 OCT 1871
in Alfred, Allegany Co., New York
- Percy LeFloyd CLARKE b: 9 JUN 1874 in Nile, Allegany Co., New York
- Ernest Ford Stillman CLARKE b: 18 FEB 1887 in Nile, Allegany Co., New York
- Walton Babcock CLARKE b: 28 MAR 1889 in Friendship, Allegany Co., New York
- Text: Rootsweb Worldconnect database by Jon Saunders, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=:2232377
- Text: "The "Clarke" Families of Rhode Island"; by George Austin Morrison, Jr.; The Evening Post Job Printing House, New York; 1902
- Text: Book ?First Alfred Seventh Day Baptist Church Membership Records, Alfred, New York?;Author: Ilou M. Sanford
Publication: Heritage Books, Inc., Bowie, MD; Date: 1995
- Text: Stillman Website URL: http://www.stillman.org/