Name: Adam PURVES
Given Name: Adam
Birth: 1 Apr 1808 in Eyemouth, Berwick, Scotland
Death: 28 Mar 1889 in Manchester, Hillsborough Co., NH of general debility
In 1841 Adam (30 not Midlothian) was a shoemaker residing at No. 18 Charles Street, Bucclluch , St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian with his wife Margaret (30 not Midlothian) and childre n Mary (6 Midlothian) and John (1 Midlothian). In 1851 Adam (32 Eyemouth) was a shoemaker a t 76 Plesance, Canongate, St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh with his wife Margaret (33 Chirnside) an d children John, Elizabeth, and Margaret [note: ages should be 42 and 43]. By 1858 he was a s hoemaking foreman. In 1861 Adam (53 Eyemouth) was a widower and shoemaker residing at 18 Scie nnes, Newington, St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh with his daughter Margaret. In 1871 he was a salesm an in a shoe shop living at the same address with his unmarried daughters Elizabeth (saleswom an in a shoe shop) and Margaret (dressmaker).
Change Date: 23 Mar 2017 at 05:25:41
Adam (age 60, shoemaker) sailed from Scotland on the "S. S. Samaria" and arrived in Boston, M A on 31 Aug 1879 (LDS Film #0205875).
In 1880 Adam (72 Scotland) was a clerk in his son-in-law's dry-goods store at 37 South Unio n Street, Pawtucket, Providence Co., RI (page 146) with his daughter Margaret Robbie, son-in- law John Robbie, their son George, and Alander Drummond (clerk in dry-goods store), age 23 fr om Scotland.
Father: John PURVES b: 25 Sep 1766 in Eyemouth, Berwick, Scotland
Mother: Agnes MCKAY b: 24 Jun 1766 in Eyemouth, Berwick, Scotland
Margaret SHIELS b: 22 Feb 1807 in Chirnside, Berwick, Scotland
29 Apr 1839
in St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Edinburgh
- Note: The marriage records reads: Adam Purves, shoemaker residing in No 18 Charles Street and Marga ret Shiels or Lambert also residing in the same place, both in the Parish of Bucceluch withi n this Parish, daughter of William Shiels, farm servant at Hallydown in the Parish of Colding ham and relict [widow] of the deceased Gideon Lambert, mason in Brown Street have been thre e several times duly and regularly proclaimed in order to marriage in each of the parish chur ches of St. Cuthberts and Buccleuch and no objection offered. Married this day by the Reveren d William Bruce, Minister of the United Assiociate Session Congregation in Cowgate, Edinburgh .
- Mary PURVES b: 1834/1835 in Midlothian, Scotland c: 7 Aug 1836 in St. Andrew, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
- John PURVES b: 16 Nov 1839 in St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
- Elizabeth PURVES b: 16 Aug 1842 in St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
- Margaret PURVES b: 16 Jul 1844 in St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland