"In 1710 the inhabitants residing at the west parish petitioned the town for land in their pr ecinct upon which to erect a meeting house. As has been shown they were obliged to travel fro m three to five miles via the ferry to attend religious services. In March, 1716, they petiti oned to be set off as the second parish and in June of the same year they were incorporated a s such by the General Court. They erected a meeting house in a commanding spot and November 2 8, 1716, Rev. Samuel Tompson, of Newbury, a graduate of Harvard in 1710, was settled as thei r pastor. He married Hannah Norwood by whom he had several children and died December 8, 1724 , aged 83. He was laid to rest in the old burial place of the parish and his tomb stone is st ill standing." [Pringle, James R., "History of the Town and City of Gloucester, Massachusetts ," (Published by the author, MA, 1892), p. 56]
Father: Edward THOMPSON b: 20 Apr 1665 in Of Newbury, Essex Co., MA
Mother: Sarah WEBSTER b: 31 Jul 1659 in Newberry, Essex Co., MA
Marriage 1 Mrs. Hannah NORWOOD b: ABT 1695 in Of Glouchester, Newbury, Essex Co., MA
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.