Name: James CHILTON MAYFLOWER
Given Name: James
Birth: 1555/1556 in Of Canterbury, Kent, England
Death: 18 Dec 1620 in On board Mayflower in Provincetown Harbor
Notes from Caleb Johnson's www.mayflowerhistory.com
Change Date: 18 Feb 2016 at 09:23:07
James Chilton was born about 1556, probably at Canterbury, Kent, England, the son of Lyonel l Chilton and his second wife (whose name has not been found). James married about 1585 or 1 586, and had his first child baptized at St. Paul's, Canterbury, Kent, England on 15 Januar y 1586/7. The name of his wife is not found in any records. The long-published claim that s he was Susanna Furner was disposed of by Michael Paulick's research published in 1999.
James Chilton and wife had seven children born in Canterbury, Kent, before moving about 160 0 to Sandwich, Kent, where he had his last three children baptized. In 1609, his wife (unfor tunately called simply "___ Chilton wife of James Chilton," was charged by the Archdeaconry C ourt with attending the secret burial of a child (they opposed the "popish" burial ceremonie s of the Church of England). It was presumably not long before the family left for Holland . In 1619, James Chilton (aged 63) and his oldest daughter Isabella were caught in the middl e of an anti-Arminian riot in Leiden, and he was hit in the head with a stone, requiring th e services of the town surgeon Jacob Hey.
James, his wife, and his youngest daughter Mary came on the Mayflower in 1620. James, at th e age of 64, was the oldest person to have made the Mayflower's voyage. James died on 8 Dece mber 1620 onboard the Mayflower, which was then anchored off Provincetown Harbor--one of si x passengers to die in the month of December. His wife also died sometime the first winter , but daughter Mary survived.
Father: Lyonell CHILTON b: ABT 1725 in England
Unknown MAYFLOWER b: ABT 1557
- Isabella CHILTON c: 15 Jan 1587 in St. Paul, Canterbury, England
- Jane CHILTON c: 8 Jun 1589 in St. Paul, Canterbury, England
- Mary CHILTON b: ABT 1591 in Of Canterbury, Kent, England
- Joel CHILTON b: ABT 1592 in Of Canterbury, Kent, England
- Elizabeth CHILTON c: 14 Jul 1594 in St. Martin's Parish, Canterbury, England
- James CHILTON c: 22 Aug 1596 in St. Martin's Parish, Canterbury, England
- Ingle CHILTON c: 29 Apr 1599 in St. Paul, Canterbury, England
- Christian CHILTON c: 26 Jul 1601 in St. Peter, Sandwich, England
- James CHILTON c: 11 Sep 1603 in St. Peter, Sandwich, England
- Mary CHILTON MAYFLOWER c: 31 May 1607 in Sandwich, Kent, England