Name: William ELDER
Given Name: William
Birth: 1705 in "Goodwill," Prince George's Co., MD
Death: 22 Apr 1775 in Emmitsburg, Frederick Co., MD
Burial: Elder Family Cemetery, Emmitsburg, Frederick Co., MD
In 1727 William received one cow and one calf from his step-father's estate.
Change Date: 18 Feb 2016 at 09:23:05
In 1728 William was among a party of Catholics who travelled into the interior of Frederick C o., MD on an exploratory trip. He settled first at Zentz's Mill, clearing the land and buildi ng a home before moving his new family there. On 27 Aug 1732 he received a patent for land i n Frederick Co. from Lord Baltimore. He is still listed in the 1733 census of Prince George C o., MD.
On 24 Aug 1743 William Elder purchased from his father-in-law, Arnold Livers, a section of "O gle's Good Will". William and Jacoba built their home on this land. The house was built of lo gs and the parlor-chapel was equal in size to the rest of the house. Here the Catholics of th e area gathered for Mass as often as the presence of a priest permitted.
William Elder was successful in his move to Frederick County. He named the mountain ST. MARY' S MOUNT where later Mt. St. Mary's College would begin. After the death of his first wife Ann , he married the daughter of his neighbor Arnold Livers. She was named Jacoba Clementina afte r James, the Old Pretender to the English throne, and his wife Clementina. This marriage adde d 7 more children to the 5 already in the Elder household. Guy Elder, a son of William, was a n active orator in the pre-revolution days and on one cool damp evening as William was listen ing to his son talk at a barn on Tom's Creek, the elderly man caught pneumonis and died a fe w days later on April 11, 1775. Jacoba lived to be 90 years old and in the 1790 census was li sted as head of the household with one son and six slaves. Most of the land that Mt. St. Mary 's is now using for the College and Seminary was deeded (donated or sold to) by the Elder Fam ily. Ogles Good Will and Elders Resurvey were two portions of land now with the college. Th e original Elder Cemetary is still sitting in the middle of college land.
Father: William ELDER b: ABT 1681 in Lancashire, England
Mother: Elizabeth FINCH b: 1687 in "Goodwill," Calvert Co., MD
Ann WHEELER b: 1708/1709 in Charles Co., MD
in Charles Co., MD
- William ELDER b: 15 Sep 1729 in Good Will, Prince George's, MD
- Charles ELDER b: 1730 in Frederick Co., MD
- Guy ELDER b: 1732 in Good Will, Prince George's Co., MD
- Richard ELDER b: 1734 in Good Will, Prince George's, MD
- Mary ELDER b: 1735 in Good Will, Prince George's, MD
Jacoba Clementina LIVERS b: 1716/1717 in Prince George's Co., MD
1 Feb 1742
in Frederick Co., MD
- Elizabeth ELDER b: 7 Feb 1743 in Frederick Co., MD
- Arnold ELDER b: 15 Feb 1745 in Frederick Co., MD
- Ann ELDER b: ABT 1746 in Emmitsburg, Frederick Co., MD
- Thomas H. ELDER b: 4 Jan 1748 in Frederick Co., MD
- Ignatius ELDER b: ABT 1749 in MD
- Francis ELDER b: 23 Aug 1755 in Frederick Co., MD
- Aloysius ELDER b: 1756/1757 in Frederick Co., MD