Name: REV. JOHN (Immigrant, 1633) COTTON
Sex: M 1
Birth: 4 Dec 1584-1585 in Derby, England
Death: 23 DEC 1652 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
FILE: ~/Pictures/Genealogy Photos/Cotton Rev. John.jpg
Title: Rev. John Cotton
_SIZE: 243.000000 294.000000
Change Date: 20 FEB 2007
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., Attorney General Elliot Richardson, and John Lithgow are descendants.
GRANDFATHER OF REV. COTTON MATHER
VICAR OF ST. BOTOLPH'S CHURCH, BOSTON, LINCOLNSHIRE, ENGLAND
The city of Boston was named primarily to honor Rev. John Cotton who had been the vicar of St. Botolph's before he and his followers fled to America. John and Gov. John Winthrop were the leading figures of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Cotton was largely responsible for the banishment of Anne Hutchinson and Roger Williams.
Notes on this website are authored by Larry Overmire, unless noted otherwise. Permission of the author is required to reproduce elsewhere.
1) Dan Bennett Database, 21 Jan 2004
2) Bruce Cox Database, 20 Apr 2004
3) John Cotton, infoplease.com
4) Mary Beth Wheeler Database, 30 Nov 2003
5) "The Cotton Family," from NEHGS "Register," Vol. 1, page 164.
6) Paine Ancestry, The Family of Robert Treat Paine, by Sarah Cushing Paine, ed. Charles Henry Pope, Boston: 1912, NEHGS Library, pg. 110
Sarah (Immigrant) Hawkredd b: 1601 in England
25 APR 1632
- Change Date:
24 JUN 2005
- Note: 20:51
- Rev. Seaborn (Immigrant, 1633) Cotton b: 12 AUG 1633 in born at sea on the ship "Griffin" c: 8 SEP 1633 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
- Rev. John Cotton b: 15 MAR 1640 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
- Maria (Mother of Cotton Mather) Cotton b: 15 FEB 1641 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
- Media: Website
Title: The Ancestry of Overmire, Tifft, Richardson, Bradford, Reed
Author: Larry Overmire
Publication: RootsWeb World Connect Project, © 2000-2010
Date: 26 Jan 2010
Date: 26 JAN 2010