Name: Rachel INMAN
Census: I550 S150 J520 GA
Birth: 16 NOV 1797 in Burke Co., GA 1 2 3
Death: 07 NOV 1862 in Brooks Co., GA 2 3
Note: Died at the home of her son, John William Spain.
Burial: Jones Cemetery, Forest Hill Plantation, Quitman, Brooks, GA
1850 CENSUS - Unk, Lowndes, GA roll 75 p 395 fam 479.
1860 CENSUS - Georgia Militia District 1200, Lowndes, GA roll 129 p 856 fam 152.
Rachel Inman was the daughter of Daniel S. Inman and Ava Allen. She married first Levi Spain and had one son, John Wm. Spain. Rachel and Francis Jones did not have any children. These are the only two graves left at this cemetery. They are brick , above the ground vaults with tall headstones, 5' chain link fence. This area is now a planted pine forest and hunting club off the Old Madison Hiway and Dewey Rd. Rachel Inman was a sister of my 3rd.gt.gd.mother Sophia Inman and Francis Jones wa s a brother of my 3rd gt.gd. father Berry Jones. They also had another sister, Elizabeth Inman who married Matthew Jones, this was three sisters married three brothers.
FOREST HILL by Nancy Young Schmoe
- This lovely old country home, built in 1830, probably the first two story house built in what is now Brooks County, is located off the old Madison road about six miles southeast of Quitman, Georgia. The road running beside the house was an ol d stage coach road that came out of Lowndes County into Brooks, crossing the Withlacoochee at a place known as "Spain's Crossing," where a ferry boat plied the river here for many years. This road wound on to join the Savannah-Tallahassee road an d became a part of what was known as the old DeSota Trail. Many early settlers settled along this road, building pioneer homes. Some homes have been lost to fire, rain, or decay, but Forest Hill has survived and is still standing today after on e hundred sixty years. It was here that the Spain Family lived for five generations. It sits on a bluff overlooking the valley of the Withlacoochee River, the river the Indians called Little Running Waters, and the land around "Happy Hunting." It' s a little frayed by age and repairs, but nevertheless charming and inviting as it must have been so long ago when it was called home by a loving family. It is surrounded by stately live oak, several virgin pines and magnificent magnolia trees, gn arled and twisted by age. Their large limbs form a canopy over the grove. Outside the grove is a forest of young pine trees, stretching as far as you can see toward the hills beyond, and the river itself.
- The house is built of sturdy heart pine and cypress lumber, put together with square nails. The rafters and hand-hewn logs support the structure built on a brick foundation high off the ground. The house is not elaborate or a mansion, but is spa cious with large rooms, plenty of windows, and double plantation doors, with etched glass above and on both sides of the front door. It's built along the lines of an English Country House similar to those in Virginia and the Carolinas. It has a sh ort high front porch with an overhanging roof. Four columns support the roof, attached to brick pillows that reach to the ground. Simple front steps lead to the entrance where there is a wide hall with two rooms on each side and a back stairway th at leads upstairs to another wide hall with similar rooms and small sitting rooms at each end of the hallway. Another bedroom has been added at the back, which may have been part of the old kitchen and dining room, as it seems to have similar lumb er, doors, and windows. A smaller kitchen has been added to the left side of the house, with more modern equipment. All the rooms are heated by fireplaces, not changed much since the day it was built.
- Mrs. Newton Kennedy, from the Kennedy Hill Section of Brooks County, whose father R.R. Shaffer was the overseer for the Spain family for many years, remembers the place fondly. The Shaffers lived in a large cottage beside the old home and she sa id when she was there, there was a white picket fence surrounding the entire grove. A very thick heavy sunburst gate joined the fence at the end of the grove, and a six-foot brick walk led to the front steps from this gate between the line of th e magnolia trees. At the entrance to the gate was a beautiful carriage house that held three carriages. Her own father drove a Surrey with two horses, which he often stalled there. A side gate from the side road that passed their cottage led famil y and guests over a four-foot brick walk to the entrance, and then beyond the grove is a forest of virgin pine trees. The road leading by their house traveled on to the river and Spain's Crossing, where they went for fish frys and picnics. She als o mentioned that in her days, there was a large dining room with two huge doors on each side and many windows, which were opened up for entertaining, and also a large kitchen with a cooking fireplace, holding logs at least four feet long. These tw o rooms were attached to the end of the house. All of this was joined together with a U-shaped, back porch which looked toward the river.
- This home was built by John William Spain (1818-1870) and his wife Elizabeth Young Spain (1822-1885). The first record we have of this family is that John William Spain and his wife and widowed mother Rachel Inman Spain, came to a section of wha t is now Lowndes County known as Kinderlou sometime before 1830. They came from the Carolinas and were of Welch descent. John William then bought twenty five thousand acres of land on both sides of the Withlacoochee River, and soon moved with hi s family across the river and built this home known as Forest Hill. There they raised a family of two girls and one son, Rachel Lavania, Sara, and Francis Jones. Soon after moving here, his mother Rachel Inman Spain married Major Francis Jone s II from Kinderlou. Major Francis Jones II, was a man of great wealth, and joined with his stepson, they soon acquired many more substantial land holdings in that section. John William Spain was a man of culture and highly educated, and acquire d an interesting library. He also became a successful planter, growing many crops and owning a large number of cattle and hogs. He was a representative from Lowndes County, 1841-1842, before Brooks County was formed.
- Major Francis Jones, his stepfather, built a beautiful southern mansion up the road from Forest Hills for his wife Rachel Inman Spain, but he did not live long after that. When he died he left his entire estate to his wife and stepson John Willi am Spain.
- At John William Spain's death the estate passed to his daughters and son. Francis Jones Spain continued to carry on the plantation. He married Elizabeth Stapler and they reared five children. John William Spain was an outstanding citizen of Broo ks County. He was one of the founders of the Bank of Quitman, a stock?holder in the Cotton Mills, South Georgia Lumber Company, and South Georgia Railroad. He was instrumental in building the Hotel Marie in Quitman, named after his daughter Marie . He was an extensive planter and businessman, and is considered one of the leaders in building the new county of Brooks. This time was probably considered the best days of old Forest Hill, with weddings, parties, entertaining, hunting, horsebac k riding and picnicking.
- Their daughter Marie married H.W. Stubbs, and after her father's death they took over the management of the plantation and home. Mr. Stubbs was President of the Bank of Quitman and a prominent businessman. Although they lived in Quitman they use d Forest Hill as a vacation home and many family members re?turned often including Marie's sister, Mrs. Willingham of Macon, Georgia.
- Mrs. Kennedy remembers all of the family very well and was very fond of them. It was during this time that her father took on an extensive farming operation for the family. There was a corral in the grove, where the huge cattle herd was drive n to be separated for selling, and a three-story syrup mill run by steam, where syrup was bottled and sold. Cane was planted in the fertile valley near the river and turned into syrup at the mill. Raising swine was also a part of the family operat ion, and hog killing, the curing and selling of ham was a big business then. There was a large refrigerator house in use for this then, and she remembers the wagon loads of block ice that was brought from Quitman to keep the meat cool, and the hap py times they had on hog-killing day and during cane grinding time. These were rather social days then. Cotton, peanuts and corn were also grown. A commissary was used to furnish supplies to the laborers and the commissary still stands, until toda y, beside the house. Mrs. Kennedy also told us that there were no schools in those days. The children were taught by
governesses or visiting tutors. Her own mother taught her until age eight when her father, and the Buckhead Plantation went together and established the first school there in a tenant house at Forest Hill. Trience Yathes Howard was the teacher. La ter this school with the Johnson and Mills School formed the larger Palmetto School, still standing today, on the old Empress Road.
- Marie's brother, John William Spain, owned and operated another of their plantations, Buckhead, on down the river from Forest Hill.
- Mrs. Bell Young, a cousin of the Spain's, remember visits with the family at Forest Hill for picnics down by the river in a little summer house called Kneehigh, but also said her favorite place was Buckhead Plantation, known for its hospitalit y and entertainment.
- Mrs. Ida Jane Ferrell of Valdosta, stepdaughter of H.W. Stubbs, also remembers visits to the plantation as a little girl. After Marie and H.W. Stubbs' death the Spain family sold the place to J.S. Griffin in 1965. A year later, the Langdale Comp any of Valdosta bought it, and still owns it today. Mr. and Mrs. Harley Langdale who now live at Kinderlou, across the river from Forest Hills, now share in the history of this lovely piece of land on each side of the Withlacoochee River, rich wit h history and legends, since the time of the Indians. Forest Hill today is used occasionally as a hunting lodge.
- The descendents of the Spain family are scattered now, none remain in Brooks County. Their contributions to the business, cultural, and community life of Brooks County are still remembered here.
- The old family cemetery can be found on the hill above the house. Only two graves remain, those of Major Francis Jones II and his wife Rachel Inman Spain Jones, -side by side facing south. The other members of the family buried there have bee n removed and interned in the Spain Family lot at West End Cemetery in Quitman.
- All is quiet now at Forest Hills, except for the occasional call of the hunter. It sits in solitude with only the commissary by its side. Long gone are the great virgin pine trees, the sugar mill, and the corral. The Shaffer cottage is slowly fa lling down, Kneehigh is no more, and the road to the river is grown over with trees. Buckhead has long ago passed into history.
- The forest is rapidly growing back and, where there were once cotton fields and sugar cane in the valley, now wild turkey roam, deer run free and quail scamper through the bushes. There is a large lake down near the river now where hunters an d their families often go for picnics and to fish. The busy, yet carefree way of the old Plantation life that the Spainsí knew and Mrs. Kennedy remem?bers is now a By Gone Era. The land is slowly returning to its natural state and only Francis an d Rachel keep watch.
Father: Daniel Shadrack INMAN , Sr b: abt 1771 in Burke Co., NC
Mother: Ava ALLEN b: abt 1780
Levi SPAIN b: 27 JAN 1792
- Sarah Ann SPAIN b: 10 JUL 1815 in GA
- John William SPAIN b: 04 DEC 1818 in Burke Co., GA
- Rachel SPAIN b: abt 1821 in GA
Francis JONES , II b: 27 JAN 1792 in Screven Co., GA
26 MAR 1826
- Title: LDS records.
Abbrev: LDS records.
- Title: FindAGrave.com Cemetery Records
Abbrev: FindAGrave.com Cemetery Records
- Title: Photo of headstone.
Abbrev: Photo of headstone.