Name: Lester Courtland ROGERS
Given Name: Lester Courtland
Surname: Rogers 1 2
Change Date: 27 JUN 2013
Occupation: Minister, professor
Religion: Seventh-day Baptist
Birth: 11 DEC 1829 in Waterford, New London Co., Connecticut
GRAD: 1853 Alfred, Allegany Co., New York
Note: Alfred Academy
GRAD: 1856 Williamstown, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts
Note: Williams College - AB
GRAD: 1859 Williamstown, Berkshire Co., Massachusetts
Note: Williams College - AM
GRAD: 1861 New Brunswick, Middlesex Co., New Jersey
Member 1872 Milton, Rock Co., Wisconsin
Note: SDB Church
Note: Seventh pastor of the Milton SDB Church, serving from 1872 to 1875.
Note: First Pastor of the Milton Junction SDB Church, serving from 1875-1876.
Census: 1880 Edgerton, Rock Co., Wisconsin
Note: age 50, minister
Death: 02 JAN 1900 in Westerly, Washington Co., Rhode Island
Burial: 1900 Westerly, Washington Co., Rhode Island
Note: WY008, River Bend Cemetery
Obituary 08 JAN 1900
"The Sabbath Recorder", Vol 56, No 2, p 31, Jan. 8, 1900.
In Westerly, R. I., January 2, 1900, Professor Lester Courtland Rogers, aged 70 years and 22 days.
Prof. Rogers was born in Waterford, Conn., Dec. 11, 1829. He was graduated from Alfred Academy in 1853, and from Williams College in 1856, and from Rutgers Theological Seminary in 1860. In 1862 and 1863 he was Chaplain of the Twenty-ninth New Jersey Volunteers. From 1858 to 1895 he served almost continuously as pastor of various Seventh-day Baptist churches, his longest pastorate being at New Market, N. J. In 1888 he was appointed to the Charles Potter Professorship of History and Political Science in Alfred University, a position which he held till failing health caused him to resign in June, 1898. He was ever an earnest and faithful Christian, a scholarly and efficient instructor, a thoughtful and fluent writer, an able and eloquent preacher, and completed with his three score and ten years a well-rounded and useful life. He was married in youth to Miss Josephine Wilcox, of Homer, N. Y., who with one son, Charles Potter Rogers, of New York, and a brother, Orson C. Rogers, of Westerly, R. I., survive him. S. H. D.
Father: Lester Tuthill ROGERS b: 24 SEP 1797 in Waterford, New London Co., Connecticut
Mother: Susannah Harper CRANDALL b: 05 SEP 1801 in Potter Hill, Washington Co., Rhode Island
Josephine WILCOX b: 30 AUG 1830 in Homer, Cortland Co., New York
- Lester Wilcox ROGERS b: 02 OCT 1861 in Westerly, Washington Co., Rhode Island
- Hortense ROGERS b: 07 JAN 1865 in New Market, Middlesex Co., New Jersey
- Charles Potter ROGERS b: 02 JUN 1867 in New Market, Middlesex Co., New Jersey
- Title: James Rogers of New London, Ct. and his Descendants
Author: James Swift Rogers
Publication: Self Published, 1902
Page: 275, 373
- Title: Elder John Crandall of Rhode Island and His Descendants
Author: John Cortland Crandall
Publication: Higginson Book Co., Salem MA, 1949
- Title: An Analysis of Milton, Wisconsin SDB Church Members 1840-1968
Author: Prof. David Nelson Inglis, Milton College
- Title: 1880 Census , Url: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/census/main_census.asp?
- Title: Rhode Island Historical Cemeteries Transcription Project, Url: http://www.rootsweb.com/~rigenweb/cemetery/
- Title: Find A Grave, Url: http://www.findagrave.com