Name: James CAIRD
Given Name: James
Prefix: Rt Hon Sir
Suffix: KCB LLD FRS MP
Title: KCB LLD FRS MP
M.P. for Dartmouth 1857-9, and the Stirling Boroughs 1859-65, and was subsequently a member of the Inclosure Commission and of the Board of Agriculture
Change Date: 23 SEP 2005 at 08:31:25
HENRYSON-CAIRD OF CASSENCARY
JAMES ALEXANDER HENRYSON-CAIRD, of Cassencary, Creetown, co Kirkcudbright,
J.P. & D.L., b 24 Feb. 1847; m. 19 Dec. 1877, Alice Mona , only child of John Alison, of 90 Lancaster Gate, London, and has issue,
ALISTER JAMES b. 22 March 1884
Mr. Caird assumed the additional name of HENRYSON by Patent from the Lyon Court in 1897 .
LINEAGE.- This family settled in Wigtownshire before 1800.
JAMES CAIRD of Drumfad, m. ISABELLA, dau. of Archibald McNeel, and great granddaughter of Alexander Stewart of Tonderghie, & d. 1836, having by her (who died 1848) had, with other issue, a second surviving son, RIGHT HONOURABLE SIR JAMES CAIRD K.C.B., P.C. LL.D, F.R.S., of Cassencarry; co. Kirkcudbright, J.P. and D.L., cos, Wigtown and Kirkcudbright. He was M.P. for Dartmouth 1857-9, and the Stirling Boroughs 1859-65, and was subsequently a member of the Inclosure Commission and of the Board of Agriculture.
He was born 1816; m. 1st., 15 Feb 1843, MARGARET, only child of CAPT. JOHN HENRYSON, R.E., who was descended from the Henrysons or Hendersons of Fordel, and from Robert Henryson, the poet, who died about 1490. By her (who died 14 March, 1863) he had issue,
1. JAMES ALEXANDER , now of Cassencary.
2. ROBERT HENRYSON , of Southbroom House, Devizes, and Millwall, Sandwich, Kent, J. P. Wilts, (Reform Club), b. 10 June 1850; m. 30 April, 1879, Annie dau.of James Butchart, J. P., of Bushy Park, Victoria.
3. LINDSAY HENRYSON, Major late Border Regiment., b. 2Decembe1860; m. 1st, 5
November 1891, Janet Laura, dau of the late Rowland Hunt of Boreatton,Shropshire, and by her (who d. 1892) has issue,
1. James Robert, b. 4 November 1892.
He m. 2ndly., 18 October 1894, Marion Adele Flora, dau of Major-General William Booth, late R.A., and has issue,
2. William James, b. 22 March 1897
3. John Lindsay, b. 4 July, 1899
4. ANNE HENRYSON, m. 17 April, 1873 Edmund Newman Snow, of Franklyn, Exeter, and has issue 2 daus.
5. AGATHA MARGARET, m. 1880, the late Charles Emanual Goodhart, of Langley Park, Kent and has issue, three sons.
"Cassencary was sold a few years ago , to James Caird, born 1816, late M.P.
for Stirling, which he vacated on appointment as a Commissioner for Tithes.
He is the second son of the late James Caird , writer, Stranraer, and his wife Isabella, daughter of Archibald M'Neil, California. He married in 1843, Margaret, daughter of Captain Henryson, Royal Engineers. She died at Nice in 1863, and had issue:-
(1) James Alexander Henryson Caird (who married, on 19 December 1877, Alice Mona , only surviving child of John Alison, late of Australia, and Lancaster Gate, Hyde Park London);
(2) Robert Peel Caird
(3) Lindsay Henryson Caird (married, in April 1873, Edmund N. Snew, Exeter);
(4) Anne Henryson, m. 17 April, 1873 Edmund Newman Snow, of Franklyn, Exeter, and has issue 2 daus.
The present owner of Cassencarie (Castle Cary) -which is now a Caravan Park- is A O Henryson Caird.
Father: James CAIRD
Mother: Isabella MCNEEL
18 FEB 1843
in St Leonard's Church,Exeter
- Anne Henryson CAIRD b: 1844 c: 13 MAR 1844 in Kirkinner,Wigtown,Scotland
- Isabella Matilda CAIRD b: 1845 c: 17 MAY 1845 in Kirkinner,Wigtown,Scotland
- James Alexander HENRYSON-CAIRD b: 1846/1847 c: 24 FEB 1847 in Kirkinner,Wigtown,Scotland
- Agatha Margaret CAIRD b: 1848 c: 23 SEP 1848 in Kirkinner,Wigtown,Scotland
- Robert Peel HENRYSON CAIRD b: 10 JUN 1850 c: 11 JUL 1850 in Kirkinner (Wigtown) Scotland
- Agatha Margaret CAIRD b: 1852 c: 11 SEP 1852 in Kirkinner,Wigtown,Scotland
- John Henryson CAIRD b: 11 JUL 1855 in Kirkinner,Wigtown,Scotland
- Lindsay Henryson CAIRD b: 2 DEC 1860