Return to normal view

some KELLY MONK CAVAYE BRUEN EVANS HAMILTON TORRANCE FRIEDLANDER ancestry, and the kinsfolk of Alexander COWAN

Entries: 19041    Updated: 2013-01-02 18:07:08 UTC (Wed)    Owner: Roger    Home Page: website links  Note: You will leave RootsWeb

  • ID: I15213
  • Name: Robert Peel HENRYSON CAIRD
  • Given Name: Robert Peel
  • Surname: Henryson Caird
  • Suffix: JP
  • Title: JP
  • Sex: M
  • Birth: 10 JUN 1850
  • Christening: 11 JUL 1850 Kirkinner (Wigtown) Scotland
  • Note:
    of Southbroom House, Devizes, and Millwall, Sandwich, Kent, J. P. Wilts, (Reform Club),
    Head of the London Homoaepathic Hospital

    Mr. Robert Henryson CAIRD, J.P.
    The chairman of the House Committee of the Hospital since 1908, and a Member of the Board of Management since 1904. Chairman of the Building Committee for the building of the Sir Henry Tyler Wing and the New Nurses Home, 1908-1911.

    Surely this is one form of that charity which is, in the words of the poet:
    Not what we give, but what we share :
    For the gift without the giver is bare.

    When the new Hospital was designed and rebuilt in 1895 it was arranged that a further wing facing west to Queen Square could be added at any time when it might be required. In 1908 it was found that the building was totally inadequate to the demands made upon it, and, indeed, for two or tree years the usefulness of its work had been greatly hampered by the lack of space.

    The extension of the Hospital building on the adjoining freehold ground, including the "Queen's Head" public-house, which by this date had been purchased for the purpose, was now very forcibly impressed upon the Board of Management. That there was now very forcibly impressed upon the Board of Management. That there was an urgent need for enlargement was only too apparent when serious cases frequently had to be refused admission because there was no room to receive them. In one small section only of the In-patients, nine women each waited over three months, and eight others WAITED OVER SIX MONTHS FOR ADMISSION.

    The present Hospital Building has now been in use for sixteen years, 1895-1911, and during the last eight years in the old building in Great Ormond Street the In-patients totalled:
    1887 to 1895 ..... 5,680
    In the next two periods of eight years in the present building the In-patient had increased to:
    1895 to 1902 ..... 8,150 In-patients
    1903 to 1911 ..... 8,699 do.
    after much consideration the Board decided to enlarge the Hospital, and with a view to starting an extension fund to build a new West Wing to the existing Hospital, Sir Henry Tyler, as already mentioned, contributed £ 10,000, the late Mrs. Rylands £ 5,000, Lord Dysart £ 2,000, the late Captain Cundy, Vice-Chairman of the board, £ 1,000, C.M. £ 1,000, and with the assistance of many other warm friends and supporters of the Hospital, the sum of 47,000 was soon raised for the purpose.

    The Homeopathic Hospital
    at Neuilly in France, 1914-1916
    by Dr M. Geoffrey Miller.
    Presented by Sylvain Cazalet
    (Excerpted from: The Anglo French-American Hospital: An Account of the Work Carried On Under Homeopathic Auspices during 1915-16 at the Hôpital Militaire Auxiliare, No. 307, Neuilly-sur-Seine, In Conjunction With the French Red Cross Society, (Part IV). With Financial Statement, Medical Report, List of Subscribers', and Appendices I-VIII. By the British Committee sitting at London (1917[?])
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Editor's Note:
    Homeopathy (or Homoeopathy) is the treatment of disease by drugs that in a healthy person would produce symptoms of that disease. It was widely practiced during WWI because orthodox management of disease had the capacity to cause iatrogenic illness as a result of the toxic effects of the drugs that were commonly prescribed and were not particularly effective in any case.
    It would be true to say that very few medications were truly effective, certainly not in the way that modern medications are today. There was no specific treatment for pneumonia, tuberculosis, angina pectoris, bacterial infections nor a host of illnesses that can now be significantly improved by medication. A glance at the list of diseases treated by the Anglo-French Homeopathic Hospital reveals that nearly all the medical complaints were incurable by the orthodox treatments of the time and all would fare as well as they would if they were admitted to the orthodox General Hospitals. Many would do better because of care that they were given by the dedicated nurses and doctors. These doctors were all trained in orthodox medicine and knew when to treat by Homeopathic principles and when to treat by standard methods.
    The Hospital was opened at Neuilly in late 1914 and was disbanded on 15th. March, 1916 because so many of their staff were called up for military service in the RAMC. During its existence many surgical patients were treated in their operating room as well as medical patients; the Hospital had a particular interest in the care of indigent civilians as well as military patients.
    Dr Geoffrey Miller.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    THE HOMEOPATHIC HOSPITAL AT NEUILLY IN FRANCE
    RAISON D'ETRE OF THE HOMEOPATHIC HOSPITAL.

    EARLY in the course of the great war, whilst the arrangements - later perfected - for the sick and wounded were in the making, it became known that the call for the reception of surgical cases was so considerable and insistent as to relegate any elaborate provision for the inevitable medical casualties to a second place.

    The first winter --like the Crimean winter-- indicated the necessity for an amplified hospital service for medical cases also. A number of auxiliary institutions for the wounded had been established in Franco-Belgium, while medical cases were steadily rising in number. In the circumstances it seemed hardly possible for Homoeopathy, as a public service, to rule itself out from that volume of auxiliary hospital establishment which private initiative was zealously creating.

    In the threefold activities of medicine-prevention, the treatment of acute, and the alleviation of chronic disease-Homoeopathy has a special title to take a definite position. In the last century it had won its spurs at a time of public crisis-the first cholera epidemic-by opening the doors of the London Homoeopathic Hospital to the free admission of cholera cases, and carrying out homoeopathic treatment so successfully as to obtain special Parliamentary attention to its high standard of success. Before that time, on the Continent, where critical comparison was made between the old school and the new school results in the treatment of pneumonia, the honours of the time again fell to Homoeopathy. That this school of therapeutics maintained its powers unabated was evident by the published results of the London Homoeopathic Hospital in such diseases of daily life as pneumonia and acute rheumatism. Here again in a statistical comparison with results of treatment in other institutions, the issues brought about by Homoeopathy were so striking as to merit the attention of public bodies. Therefore it was with some past experience - and some consciousness of special fitness that the project was evolved of a homoeopathic hospital for medical cases as near as possible to the scene of warfare.

    THE DESIGN INTERNATIONAL, THE ORGANISATION BRITISH.

    At a meeting of the Acting Committee of the International Homoeopathic Council held in London late in 1914, its deliberations included a proposition for the establishment of a Homoeopathic Hospital, under military control, for medical cases, on the Western front of the Allies.

    Dr G. Burford
    Mr. Robert Henryson CAIRD, J.P.

    The President of the British Homoeopathic Society (Dr. Wynne Thomas), the President of the previous British Homoeopathic Congress (Dr. James Johnstone), together with the Vice-President of the International Homoeopathic Council (Dr. George Henry Burford 1856-1937), met by arrangement the Chairman of the London Homoeopathic Hospital, R. H. Caird, Esq., J.P., to consider the necessary preliminaries. Their consultation issued in the nomination of a Provisional Committee constituted by representatives of the principal homoeopathic activities in Great Britain, and the publication of a statement of the case, with an appeal for funds to those favourably inclined to the work. Thus did the leaders of British Homoeopathy lead, and the response of the English-speaking homoeopaths the world over was immediate and maintained. Fortified by this support, the Provisional Committee nominated two Commissioners (Dr. Hoyle and Dr. MacNish) to proceed to France to confer with the military authorities there, as well as with the principal homoeopathic physicians in Paris. As the issue of this investigation, the Committee decided to work under the auspices of the French Red Cross Society, and to internationalism as far as possible, the interest it was desirable to arouse of homoeopathic supporters in this special procedure.


    SOUTHBROOM, a chapelry in the parish of Bishop's Cannings, hundred of Potterne, county Wilts, 2 miles from Devizes, its post town. It is situated on the Kennet and Avon canal. The Devizes Union poorhouse and a lunatic asylum are situated in this district. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Sarum, value £150, in the patronage of the vicar. The church is a modern structure. Southbroom House is the principal residence." [Description from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
  • Change Date: 22 MAY 2007 at 19:17:00

    Father: James CAIRD b: 1816
    Mother: Margaret HENRYSON

    Marriage 1 Annie BUTCHART
    • Married: 30 APR 1879