Name: William SEE
Birth: 26 MAY 1792 in Kanawha Valley, (W)VA
Death: ABT 1865 in Wayne Co, Iowa
Change Date: 14 FEB 2009
To contact a descendant of this couple:
- William was probably born in Kanawha Co. He was born the same night his father was killed by Indians in Kanawha Co, (W)Va.
- A veteran of War of 1812. Served in Capt. Peter Steenbergen's company. Is listed as "private" under "Roster of Captain Anthony Van Sickle's Company of Mason County Riflemen." (Soldiers of West Virginia, p 172). Records copied from State Library at Charleston, WV state: "William See went as a volunteer with the Mason County Riflemen to the Northwest in 1813, and there met the colored chief with whom he became acquainted. He was informed that the Indian who shot his father at Point Pleasant was still living and totally blind. See desired to see him but the chief refused to reveal the whereabouts of the Indian fearing he would avenge his father's death."
- Deed book D, p. 328 (Kanawha Co.), 17 Dec. 1814 - $1300 200 acres. William See of Mason Co. to James E. Harris of Kanawha Co. land on Kanawha river a little below the mouth of Campbell creek the same being an entry made in the name of Michael See, the one fifth of which the said William See is entitled to as one of the children or heirs of the said Michael See. Rec. 11 July 1815.
1840 Mason Co, Va, p. 230
William See - 1100001-0230101
William - 4-50
Sarah - 40-50
girl 20-30 - (Mahalia 25, Nancy 23; Melvina 24 m 1835)
3 girls 10-15 - (Frederick 13, Lucinda 14, Minerva 15)
2 girls, 1 boy - 5-10 - (Agnes 3, William 10, Elizabeth 11))
boy - 0-5 - (Strother-2)
- William See claims he moved to Iowa in 1848. He is not in the 1850 Mason Co, VA or Wayne Co, IA Census.
- Received 43 acres on May 31, 1853 and 40 acres on Jan 31, 1856 according to Abstract of Original Land Entries in Wayne Co, IA.
- Book #67, p. 302 From U.S. Gov. to William See. Warrent 47736 80 acres favor of William See Private in Captain Bryans Co. 1st Reg Virginia Militia War 1812 - Subject to Sale Chariton, Iowa 83 acres and 94/100 acres. Mar 10 1854
- Land Deed Patent Records Corydon, Wayne Co., Iowa Courthouse
Book #67 p. 8 from U.S. Government to William See of Wayne Co., IA, Cert. #13389 - 40 acres Subject to sale at Chariton May 1, 1858
- 1856, 1860 was in Benton Twp, Wayne Co, Iowa along with John & Lucinda (See) Rayburn, but all of them are gone by 1870 census.
1856 Wayne Co., IA Census
William See, age 65, farmer, lived in state 8 years
Sarah See, wife, age 60
Agnes See, female, age 19
Strawther, male, age 17
1860 Iowa Census. Wayne Co, Benton Twp
William See, 78, Farmer, 1022, 603, VA
Sarah, 74, VA
Stroder, 23, VA
- In Wayne Co., IA, Nov 21, 1859 (age 67), he made a declaration for the purpose of obtaining bounty land for his War of 1812 service.
- William and Sarah were still in Wayne Co., in 1864, deeded land to Strouther, 12 Oct 1864. Strouther, William and Sarah sold land in Wayne Co. in 1866.
- From the Times Republican Land Transfers April 14, 1898. William See and wife to John M. Davis Washington Twp - 15 acres. (deed says, William See, Sr.). Is signed by William See and Sary See (she made an X)
- William traveled west to Iowa about 1852 with most of his family members, and his good friend Morris Greenlee and his family. They settled in Wayne Co., IA. Morris is buried there (d Mar 20, 1864. He & wife Nancy are buried in Cambria Cem, Washington Twp, Wayne Co, Iowa). [William or Sarah may be buried in Hogue Cem where their daughter Nancy is buried.]
Father: Michael SEE b: 1750 in Moorefield, Hardy Co, WV
Mother: Elizabeth MORRIS b: 8 AUG 1753 in Culpepper Co, VA
Sarah PRUITT b: 1794 in Goochland Co, Va.
17 MAY 1814
in Point Pleasant, Mason Co, (W)VA
- Mahalia SEE b: ABT 1815 in Mason Co, WV
- Mary Melvina SEE b: 15 NOV 1816 in Mason Co, WV
- Nancy SEE b: 1817 in Mason Co, WV
- Minerva SEE b: 22 JUL 1825 in Mason Co, WV
- Lucinda SEE b: 17 NOV 1826 in Mason Co, WV
- Frederick SEE b: 1827 in Mason Co, WV
- Elizabeth SEE b: 13 FEB 1829 in Point Pleasant, Mason Co, (W)VA
- William C. SEE b: 3 AUG 1830 in Mason Co, WV
- Agnes SEE b: 1837 in Mason Co, WV
- Strother SEE b: 1838 in Mason Co, WV