Michael S. Caldwell's Genealogy Database as of 23 December 2017

Entries: 54558    Updated: 2017-12-23 15:03:09 UTC (Sat)    Owner: Michael

Index | Pedigree | Ahnentafel

  • ID: I47443
  • _UID: F2194BB17F1A4FD39FF02A594C8EE802982E
  • Name: William Vonneida JACKSON
  • Sex: M
  • Birth: 1863
  • Death: 1943
  • Burial: Crown Hill Cemetery, Coldwater, Comanche Co. KS
  • Note:

    Taken from an apparent article or interview with William V. Jackson, son of Samuel Braden Jackson and Martha Vonneida. Source: An unreferenced web site; nonetheless the narrative has the ring of authenticity - ed.

    Now I want to go back a bit to tell you more about my father, then of my mother and her folk. My mother was father's third wife. His first was Catherine Crabbs. They had two little baby girls. The one died at birth. The other lived only about a year. They, my little half-sisters, are buried in Newcomer graveyard north of Springfield. The mother died not long after from consumption, or T.B. as it is now called. Then father out of a home and lonesome, traveled for a time. He made a business trip to California soon after the gold rush, going by boat from New York in March when snow covered the ground, to the Isthmus of Panama, when the only way to get across was on a mule or walk. Then by boat on the Pacific to San Francisco. Home again to Ohio he was married to a Miss Dodds. She too was a T.B. victim eight months after her marriage. Then he went to Iowa, where he was locating lands for soldiers of the Mexican war. They were given land for service in that war. He was elected county attorney but did not stay long. On a train going back he met Rev. Solomon Vonneida of Dayton, O., a mutual friendship was formed leading to an invitation to visit at the Vonneida home in Dayton. Both were, or father had been before his Iowa trip, residents of that city. There he met Martha, oldest daughter of Mr. Vonneida. She was born Oct. 16, 1838. At the outbreak of the Civil war father turned his law office into a recruiting office and organized two companies of the infantry. He was made captain of Co. E. of the 24th Reg. The citizens of Dayton sent to Philadelphia for a beautifully engraved officer's sword to give him. There were no infantry officers swords to be had, so they got a navy sword for him. I prize it very, very much, not only for its fine workmanship, but as a mark of the esteem in which the people of Dayton held him. He saw service at the battles of Greenbrier and Cheat mountain. The very unsanitary condition of the camps, that were used a while, took more lives than did the rebel army. After a year service the typhoid fever closed his service as a soldier. As soon as he was well enough to be moved he was given an honorable discharge and sent home. There he was married to Martha Vonneida. There were two other Vonneida girls and a son. Elizabeth married John Hardesty. They lived for a while in Baltimore, then returned to Dayton where he worked in the factories. They had four boys and two or more girls. All, the oldest, died in early manhood. Harry had an important job in the National Cash Register Co. for many years, being in charge of personal relations of company with employees. Afterward he got a farm and went into real estate business. I do not know how many children they had. Two younger boys, Jim and John, lived in Washington, D.C. the last I knew of them. One girl married a man named Durrer and had several children. The other girls I have lost track of. Mother's brother Solomon married Eva, and had one son, Harry. He also has a son, Russel. They live on a farm near Dayton. Mother's other sister married Hermon Sandmire. He was trapped by a falling wall of a burning building while trying to get his books out of his store, and burned to death. Afterward Aunt Annie married Mr. Lucky. They lived near Columbus, Ind. They had one son, named Lewis. He became, like his father, a brick mason. He married and has a daughter. This girl is said to be a fine violinist. I think that the Vonneida first came as a soldier. Many were hired from little German princes, by King George 3rd of England to fight against the American colonists. I think they came that way. Many of them, when captured by Americans, stayed in this country where they would not be compelled to fight people they had nothing against. Many of them settled in Pennsylvania. The first I know certainly, was Grandfather and Grandmother. Her name was Elizabeth Frey. He was a miller in his youth. Became a good scholar in both English and German. Became a minister in the United Brethren church. Was put in charge of the church papers. He loaded the printing plant on a canal boat and moved it to Dayton. There he got a church built using the basement for a printing plant. Afterward he bought the ground where now stands the churches big building. One of the finest in that city. I have heard him, when taking the place of some pastor that was sick, preach in English and in German churches preach in German. Both he and Grandmother were born in Lancaster Co., Pa. Their son was born in Myerstown, Aug. 22, 1852. Aunt Annie was born August 27, 1844. Mother was born Oct. 16, 1836.

    Now back to Father. I was born in Dayton on Feb. 2, 1863. Was named for mother's folk, William Vonneida. Charles Hough was named for the Grandmother on father's side, was born April 14, 1867. Our sister Martha Miriam was born June 3, 1869, in Washington Co., Mo. The doctors said Mother would have to leave Ohio for a dryer place. So father bought a farm sight unseen a mile and a half from Mineral Point, Mo. He did that because he did not want to leave Mother while sick. The climate was good but so soon after the war it was a very unpleasant place for a man from the Union army. After three years they sold the land moving to Howard, Kansas. That was in late 1879, Nov. I think, or Dec. In the first part of 1872, Mother's former trouble came again and on the 22nd of March she went to rest. That scene is one that is always vivid, Father calling us to kneel by Mother's couch. Her poor wasted face that had been fine. How she tried to raise her arm, Father helping her till it rested on our heads, her murmuring prayer, then came her last works, Sam do the best you can for the children. Very low yet clear. Then for nearly seven years he did just that, gave his thought, his time, patience and hard work to keep us together and make a home for us. A thousand miles from kindred, money all spent in the fight to save her who was so dear to him. His courage was great. I was the only one old enough to be much company for him. He guided my reading, talked to me about life, business, everything as though I had been a grown man. It was as if he knew that he could not stay to see us grown. It made me more mature at 14, when he had to go, than most lads are at twenty. Boyhood, no not much, missed a lot that most think very important. I would not near exchange though. Plural pneumonia, the doctor called it, took him in four days. He had me near him trying to explain what I should try to do and where to go. Never a thing about himself. A brave loving Father who took life as he found it, a rather serious thing. I presume you have heard your father tell the rest of story? How I wrote to Grandfather what had happened to us. How he sent Mother's brother Sol to us and took us to our grandparents in Dayton, O. How Charley was given a home, and lots of work, at Mummas. And later at Mrs. Mumma's father, the Hauses, kin by marriage. They found a home for sister at a home in Dayton. Later Grandfather found she was not well treated and got Uncle Heaton Jackson to give her a home. From there, when grown, she married Harmon Kahler. They have five children, all married, Carl, Will, Henry and Mary. Edna died as a baby, 2 yrs. 10 months and 4 days old. All the rest have children but Henry. You need not be ashamed for any of them. If we keep up the average we do well.

    W.V. Jackson married Rose and had four children, Dan and Charles Jackson, Ruth Beitler and Lucile Betzer. Brother Charles married Josephine Woolsey and had two children, Beatrice Zimmerman and Robert Jackson.

    Crown Hill Cemetery, Coldwater, Comanche Co. KS
    Findagrave memorial #54060044

    W.V. JACKSON | 1863 -- 1943
    WILLIAM V. JACKSON | 1863 -- 1943
  • Change Date: 19 AUG 2012

    Father: Samuel Braden JACKSON b: 1824
    Mother: Martha VONNEIDA b: 1839

    Marriage 1 Rose ROBERTSON b: 1868
    • Married:
  • We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

    Index | Pedigree | Ahnentafel

    Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly Version Search Ancestry Search Ancestry Search WorldConnect Search WorldConnect Join Ancestry.com Today! Join Ancestry.com Today!

    WorldConnect Home | WorldConnect Global Search | WorldConnect Help
    We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

    RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.