Laura Anderson paf file

Entries: 64721    Updated: 2009-07-06 20:37:26 UTC (Mon)    Owner: Laura    Home Page: if you are a family member please LOGIN to this site!   Note: You will leave RootsWeb

Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Download GEDCOM

  • ID: I3348
  • Name: Lucy LOOMIS
  • Surname: Loomis
  • Given Name: Lucy
  • Sex: F
  • Birth: 11 Jun 1822 in Russell, Hampden, Massachusetts
  • Death: 20 Oct 1890 in Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah
  • Burial: Oct 1890 Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah
  • Ancestral File #: 9PP8-9K
  • LDS Baptism: July 1846 and 5 Aug 1968
  • Endowment: 27 Mar 1852
  • _UID: 79E9AF785DD4B341817E691ABE5E76E0A2F0
  • Sealing Child: 19 Jun 1981 Temple: PROVO
  • Note:

    Lucy Loomis Tuttle
    Birth : 11 JUN 1822 Russell, Hampden, Mass
    Death : 20 OCT 1890 Spanish Fork, Utah Co., Utah
    Father: Lommis, Squire
    Mother: Roots, Patience


    wifeline representative: Cyrus Milo McKell, 2248 E 4000 S SLC, UT 84124

    Scene from the 2007 play The Life and Wives of Milo Andrus

    Act 3: Wife #3 -Lucy Loomis Tuttle
    MILO JR.:
    This is Lucy Loomis Tuttle; she was the third wife of my father, Milo Andrus. Her story begins with her first husband, Hubbard Tuttle.

    ?I was born in 1822, and married Hubbard Tuttle at age 21; we joined the LDS church in 1844. I packed all my choicest things and sent them with Sam Brannan on the Ship, The Brooklyn. ... I never saw my things again. We stayed in Winters Quarters before traveling to Utah in 1847. While crossing the plains I suffered from black scurvy, a most debilitating form of malnutrition.

    While on a ?Gold Mission? to California, my husband died of cholera morbis, leaving me with 3 young children. I married Milo Andrus in 1851, and we had five children. In the spring of 1854 Milo traveled back to Saint Louis where he was made Stake President. In 1855 he helped to developed Mormon Grove as the new staging area, in a place called Atchinson Kansas, 500 miles north of Saint Louis. After watching Milo One reporter wrote that ?Elder Milo Andrus is still here; he seems to be endowed with superhuman strength of body and mind, and waded into the business with a will; he does more business than any man in or around Atchinson.?

    Milo often had a hard time convincing the pioneers to leave their junk behind; he wrote, ??tons of useless things-that are not worth picking up in the streets, are brought to this country, freight paid on them, the lives of men worn out by lifting them from place to place, only to be thrown away on the frontiers.? ?The men and women cling to me; they cannot consent to leave one of their ?old stockings behind them; I consequently proclaimed a wedding, and engaged to marry them to all their old boxes and tin pans!? After about a year he was called on short notice to travel back to Utah.

    In 1859 we were planning to build a half-way house for travelers between Salt Lake and Provo. Then a call came to serve another mission to England in 1859, so I built the half-way house in Dry Creek later called Sandy. When the railroad passed our Hotel by, removing the need for a half-way house, I moved, building the Spanish Fork House at the end of the new rail line.

    After my death, a ridiculous rumor was spread that Milo had asked Porter Rockwell to kill me. However, I did not die in such an infamous way; I was killed by my buggy, which overturned on me. In fact, instead of cruelty, Milo had shown me compassion when he stood proxy so that I could be sealed to Hubbard Tuttle, my first love.

    End Play

    Lucy Loomis Tuttle, born June 11, 1822, in Russell Hampden County, Mass., was the daughter of Squire and Patience Root Loomis. She worked for seven years in the Cabotville Mills weaving cotton cloth and during that time she was only late to her work twice and the foreman then let her through a little side gate. On the 16th day of May 1843, she was married to Hubbard Tuttle in Cabotville. They joined the Church in 1844. Thinking that the Saints were going to California she packed all her choice things in the way of dishes, quilts, etc., and sent them on the ship Brooklyn with Sam Brannan, but never saw them again. She remained in Winter Quarters for a time, and during her journey across the plains was sorely afflicted with black scurvy.( Scurvy symptoms: swollen bloody gums, loosened teeth, lethargy, reopening of old wounds, and rebreaking of once-healed bones. Cause: ascorbic acid deficiency)

    They arrived in Salt Lake September 1847, and lived in the 9th Ward. Lucy and Hubbard had ten acres of land outside the city limits. In 1849, Mr. Tuttle left Salt Lake in company with Albert Thurber(Was a Bostoner who was on his way to the goldfields when he stoped in SLC and was converted to Morminism. Albert was called by Brigham to the goldfields after all. His attempts were unsucessful and he returned to Utah in Sep 1850), going through the southern route to California, on what is sometimes called the Gold Mission. He was taken ill with Cholera infantum,(cholera infantum - often fatal form of gastroenteritis not true cholera but having similar symptoms) died within a short time (5 Sep 1850 in California)leaving Lucy with three children, the youngest a baby boy (Born 29 Apr 1950)five months old, born while he was away. (Hubbards reasons for going may have been two fold one to serve the church on the "Gold Mission" and the second to go in search of Lucy's choice things mentioned above).

    She married Milo Andrus June 11, 1851, to them five children were born. The first years after her marriage to Mr. Andrus were spent in what was known as the Jordan Bottoms, and then moved to the Half Way House in Crescent,(abt 1860)(which she had built while Milo was on a mission to England) a few miles north from the Point of the Mountain.

    At one time, James Miller, a merchant from Spanish Fork,(and her son-in-law) stopped at the hotel. In conversation with Mrs. Andrus, James told her that there was a good opportunity to establish a hotel in Spanish Fork. Heeding his advice, she, in company with her children, made the move, where she bought ground from James Anderson, a blacksmith, and built the first hotel in the town. It was located on South Main Street, and was known as the Spanish Fork House. Supper, breakfast and bed, Mrs. Andrus gave her guests for $1.00. The stabling of the animals was extra. Francenia, her daughter, helped in the hotel until she married her stepfather, Milo Andrus. Another helper in the hotel was Harriet Simmons. Lucy's oldest son, Hubbard, fell in love with Harriet and they were married.

    Lucy Loomis Andrus died October 20, 1890, and is buried in the Spanish Fork Cemetery. Her daughter, Esmerelda, said of her, "I think she was bigger than anything that could happen to her; sorrow, misfortune, suffering, they were outside her door, she was in the house and had the key."

    Spanish Fork Hotel; The first hotel in Spanish Fork, Utah, was built and owned by Lucy Loomis Tuttle Andrus, who located here in 1868. It stood on the plot now occupied by the High School Auditorium at Third South and Main. The "Spanish Fork House," as the hotel was known in early days, faced the east and was built of brown adobe, three thick, which made the walls eighteen inches through. A large living room extended across the entire front; this room was approximately twenty-five by fourteen feet. Adjoining on the north and west was the dining room. A stairway led to the rooms above from the southeast corner. Lucy's bedroom was just south of the dining room from which a door led into the living room. Another bedroom door opened onto a small porch on the southwest corner of the building. Within the porch was a curbed-in surface well from which the culinary water was drawn with a wooden bucket. The kitchen occupied the northwest corner and opened into the dining room. Henry Andrus, a grandson, still has the long butcher knife used for carving purposes in this room.

    Six bedrooms were located on the second floor, with three on each side of a hall which extended east and west. Each bedroom was lighted from glass windows; there were three windows on the east wall and two on the north and south walls. Each room had its metal number fastened on the door.

    Near the hotel to the north and west, stood a large brown adobe barn built upon a rock foundation. Because it was built on a hillside, the rock wall was built up about seven feet on the west side. The space under the barn furnished shelter for cows which were kept in a corral adjoining. Cows and pigs drank from a large irrigation stream that flowed at the bottom of the hill. In the barn were kept hay and grain for stabling of horses.

    One of the disquieting things that occurred was the circulation of a vicious falsehood that by Milo's direction Orrin Porter Rockwell killed Milo's third wife, Lucy Loomis Tuttle. As late at 1934 this absurd report was circulated in a national periodical. From an affidavit sworn to by Milo Andrus, Jr., which is now in the Historical Department of the Church, we learn that Lucy died following an accident in which a buggy in which she was riding overturned. This took place in the fall of 1890. At the time, Milo was very feeble so that he could not attend the funeral. Apparently he continued in a feeble state until the time of his death in 1893. The Deseret Evening-News, XXVI (Mary 5, 1893), p. 5, carried the following note:
    A correspondent from Oxford, Idaho, states that Mr. Milo Andrus of that place is sick and that his recovery is doubtful. He is about seventy nine years old and seems to be nearly worn out. Elder Andrus was a member of Zion's Camp and also one of the early settlers of this Territory. His name is well known among the people.
    Note from Laura: On Lucy's marriage record in Pres. Brigham Young's office she is listed as "Lucy Loomis Tuttle wife of Hubbard Tuttle His for eternity." Later when the Endowment house was finished and Milo had his three new wives Ann Brooks, Elizabeth Brooks and Jane Munday Brown, sealed to him on Nov 22, 1855, he also had Adalied Alexander and Mary Ann Webster sealed to him. However Lucy was not listed as being sealed to Milo, we recently lecated a record of Proxy sealings for the same day where Milo acted as proxy for Hubbard Tuttle as Lucy was sealed to Hubbard on Nov 22, 1855.

    1. Temple Records Index Bureau Cards
    2. Birth Rec of Wilmington, N. Y. (nil)
    3. Big Cottonwood Wd rec of Membership, p. 2
    4. Draper ward rec of mem, p 4
    5. Spanish Fork 2nd ward rec of mem #8
    6. Spanish Fork 4th ward reco of mem #79
    7. Spanish Fork 4th ward an rep 1926
    8. Nauvoo temple slg, p 149 #1628
    9. Early Utah Slg, bk A1 #61
    10. Endowment house slg, bk F, p. 87; bk L, p 304
    11. Logan Temple slg, Bk A, p 118
    12. Utah end, Bk A, p 37
    13. Endowment House end, bk G, p 140
    14. Autobiography of Milo Andrus, p 1,4.
    15. Spanish Fork Pioneers, p. 221 #57
    16. Holladay Sextons rec 11:305 nil
    17. Holladay Cem rec nil
    18. Spanish Fork Cem rec, p 7, 186
    19. Deseret News Obituaries, 21 June 1893 vol 26, p 171; 23 Apr 1926, Sec. 1, p 8; 22 Jan 1932, p a 10; 25 Jan 1932, p 5

    (Lucy was the head wife when the Half Way House was built in 1860. Milo was on a mission so I have included this history here. Laura)

    Andrus Half Way House (By Russell Stocking) settlement of the Mormon-Pioneers in the Salt Lake Valley the normal movement of people was to the north and south following the natural terrain of the valleys. probably the largest movement was to the south.

    To satisfy the needs of travelers, freighters, stagecoach, trappers. etc. numerous places for overnight accommoda tions were built. A natural one was midway between Travelers Rest near 6400 South and Porter Rockwells layout near the point of the mountain.

    Milo Andrus, an early pioneer and great missionary for the L.D.S. church, having come to Salt Lake Valley in 1850 with a company of saints who he had charge of coming from England. organized this group of saints and others and was their leader while crossing the plains and brought them to the valley with very little difficulty. He later served various colonization missions and was a pioneer also of Green River, Dixie. and Cache Valley in Utah and Salmon River and Oxford in Idaho, He moved some of his families in the mid and late 1850's to an area called the Jordan Bottoms near and north of present day 10600 South where he had filed for 160 acres of land which he purchased and later received a U.S. patent deed dated September 10. 187 5, This land extended east to present day State Street which was then as now the maJor road (before the freeway system) going south from Salt Lake.

    This area was also called Dry Creek which was a former outlet for Little Cottonwood Creek, where there was an abundance of good water available by digging wells. After some stay in the Jordan Bottoms which in those days had also plenty of water and natural grasses for forage for livestock, Milo. previous to a call to serve a mission to England in 1859, called his families together and gave them several assignments for the caring of livestock and distribution of food. etc. in order to survive while he was away.

    Some of the wives at Dry Creek then. were Lucy Loomis Tuttle Andrus, Adeline Alexander Andrus, and Jane Mundy Andrus, To Lucy, he assigned the responsibility of building a hotel at 10330 So. State; the Hotel was renamed The Half Way House and has carried that name even to present day times.

    Lucy, along with many others had suffered many hard ships. Having had black scurvy while crossing the plains and had been left a widow with a young family previous to her marriage to Milo Andrus, she was an industrious and well organized person.

    The building she was assigned to build when finished had a large dining room and a large kitchen and parlor downstairs and three bedrooms upstairs.

    After the Half Way House was finished, naturally the wives found themselves sharing communal living which was a new situation for them and caused some adjustments but they learned to accept conditions as they were. One wife was assigned the job of cooking, to another house keeping and washing of dishes, to another sewing and to another the care of the livestock and horses and milking of cows. Adjacent to the house was a large barn with a good well near by.

    The girls of the families, many who were very talented entertained the guests at the Half Way House which was a real oasis in those days, The wives walked to and from the Draper ward to attend Relief Society which was a distance of eight miles there and back before they could afford other means of transportation.

    Jane Munday Andrus had many special talents. she taught school in South Jordan across the river, She went to school for training and became a graduate mid wife. She ran a knitting machine for the Draper Relief Society and owned one of the first sewing machines brought across the plains. The building although used as a residence for the Andrus families and available to a degree for overnight lodging by travelers had other uses. The Andrus children and those of near by neighbors were taught school at different intervals, probably by Jane Munday Andrus.

    During the interval of the Pony Express. April 31, 1860 to October 24. 1861, it had been mentioned in some of the Andrus histories that some of the boys of the families took care of horses for some of the riders. And it has been generally thought for a long time that it was a Pony Express Station but that is officially not correct. It may have been used as an emergency station only, as the official stations south of Salt Lake were Travelers Rest at 6400 South State and Porter Rockwells major stop over at the point of the mountain, which was one of the largest stop over places going south, It was a major stage coach, travelers and general rest area and also a relay station for the Deseret Telegraph. Mention is made that the Half Way House was called a tavern and as word was spread of its availability many segments of the traveling public used the accom modations available.

    (Note from Laura Anderson 2007 The Egan's and Fishers are pony Express riders from the Tooele Valley. They are decended from Milo from his first wife Abagail Jane Daley. They may have gone to their father-in-law's or grandfathers palce rather than staying at Porter's as Milo was family. Could this be the reason for the confusion in Andrus information?)

    A special note but not a happy one should be mentioned of one of the children of Emma Covert and Milo Andrus. When times were hard they gave one of their children to the Archibald Gardner family in West Jordan. this child was Carrie, born September 17, 1872, and at the age of six on Christmas day. trudged across the Jordan River to the Gardner home carrying all she owned done up in a large bandana. She later married Robert Gardner. A daughter of Carrie, Elva Gardner Goff, was kind enough to help this writer gather some lead information on the Andrus family which was most helpful in establishing a base for research.

    Lucy Loomis Tuttle Andrus operated the Half Way House for about seven years. In the late 1860's, times became hard for the families. A freighter and friend by the name of James Miller (he married her oldest daughter by Milo on 6 Dec 1869 Laura) told Lucy that a great opportunity presented itself for a hotel in Spanish Fork, Lucy explored the possibilities and decided in 1868 to move her family there. They built the Spanish Fork Hotel which turned out to be a very prosperous venture and operated it for many years.

    They were able to purchase other properties in the area and were among the early stalwart pioneers of Spanish Fork, By this time some of the other wives had moved to other places.

    With the coming of the Railroad south from Salt Lake, travel diminished considerably on State Street causing hard times to operators of the hotels and travelers stopovers, On October 29, 1881 the property was sold to John Eddins who moved some of his families from Salt Lake to the Half Way House. He lived part of the time in Salt Lake where he operated a brewery which was the second one built there. He was an expert horseman. Indian Scout and fought in the Black Hawk war. He was also engaged in helping to build the Salt Lake Temple, having come to Utah in 1847 with Heber C, Kimball's company.

    A daughter, Harriet Susanah Eddins Smith remembered people stopping at the well at the Half Way House to refresh themselves. She remembers very vividly Porter Rockwell being one of them as he was a frequent visitor and that she often combed and braided his long black hair. Some mention is made in some histories and by some now living that Porter Rockwell operated a bar at the Half Way House and served the necessary ingredients to those who were interested.

    The Eddins family sold the property in 1893 to William Winn. The Winn family were very enterprising people and made a room available to travelers who could qualify. As these were still the horse and buggy days there was still a certain amount of travel on State Street that needed over night accommodations. It seemed the good water at the well was a good attraction to stop and care for their horses etc,, and generally refresh themselves. About this time there was also a great deal of freight and wagon traffic hauling produce etc. from Utah County into Salt Lake and back. Members of the Winn family now living (spring 1979) remark how people in their wagons etc. would be strung along the side of the road for the overnight stop. There was also a good spring of water across State Street to the East.

    Mrs. Winn took in school teachers for boarders which was a common practice in those days. Mrs.Winn who had become a widow operated a small store in part of the building. Some of the Winn girls were very talented in the nursing profession.

    One of the daughters now living in American Fork, Mrs. Theodore H, "Mamie" Parduhn, whom this writer is well acquainted with, relates that they used to make homemade ice cream and cake and sell it for 10 cents on Sundays. She has mentioned she hated for Sundays to come as people from all over the south part of the valley would come and enjoy the treat, Many people still living can remember that attraction as it was still known as the Half Way House.

    There was a large building close to the house which had been used for grain storage and was later used for weddings etc, and in all probability for dances.

    The property was sold in 1939 to William Sanders who in turn sold it to his brother Elmer Sanders. The lot where the house stands was later sold to Vince Palmansino, who sold the house and lot to ZCMI on May 24, 1978,

    The barn was torn down in the 1950's and leaving the house only as a reminder of the past 100 years,

    A special note of appreciation is extended to those who furnished information concerning the Half Way House, to all the Andrus family who came forth with histories and documented geneological information on members of their family who had lived at the Half Way House. To members of the Eddins family also and the Winn family for furnishing a picture of the building and some special information while they lived there. Also for the special cooperation received from Mr, and Mrs, Vince Palmansino the last occupants of the building.

    We wish to thank the wonderful cooperation received from ZCMI and of their donating this building for a very wor thy project and also the people at Pioneer Trails State Park for their acceptance and special help in seeing that the Half Way House will be refurnished to the era and time it represented so that in the future others may see how generations now passed rived.

    1979 August Andrus Recorder Vol 15 #2
    Andrus Graves
    My Dear Relatives,
    This is a preliminary report, Perhaps you know of information needed in the blank parts...
    At the Andrus Reunion of the entire family St. George, Utah in the fall of 1978, I was asked to photograph the gravesites of Milo Andrus and his wives, and to give a report of the condition of the gravestones. This is my report, as of this date.
    Lucy Loomis Tuttle (1822-1890). This grave is centrally located in the east part of the Spanish Fork cemetery. There is a large "Andrus" marker which identifies this area where she and some of her Andrus children are buried.

    father: Squire LOOMIS
    mother: Patience ROOT
    married: (1) 16 may 1844 Hubbard Bellows TUTTLE (sealed 1 jun 1851) Patrons archive record a4 b20 Milo Andrus Gen; a6 f15,p242 Desc of Joseph Loomis, F AM. 33, pt 272-1131, big Cottonwood ward record Utah 28, vol 8, Heart Throbs, p430
  • Change Date: 1 Jul 2008 at 01:00:00

    Father: Squire LOOMIS b: 15 May 1783 in Westfield, Hampden Co., Massachusetts
    Mother: Patience ROOT b: 22 Sep 1782 in Westfield, Hampden Co., Massachusetts

    Marriage 1 Milo ANDRUS b: 6 Mar 1814 in , Pleasant Valley, Essex County, New York c: in Elizabeth, Essex County, New York
    • Married: 1 Jun 1851 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah
    • Sealing Spouse: Do Not Seal
    1. Has Children Lavenia ANDRUS b: 28 Feb 1854 in Big Cottonwood (now Holladay) Salt Lake, Utah
    2. Has Children Alma ANDRUS b: 5 May 1857 in Big Cottonwood (now Holladay) Salt Lake, Utah
    3. Has No Children Jacob ANDRUS b: 1859 in Big Cottonwood (now Holladay) Salt Lake, Utah
    4. Has No Children Laura Elizabeth ANDRUS b: 1863 in Big Cottonwood (now Holladay) Salt Lake, Utah
    5. Has Children Esmarelda ANDRUS b: 24 Feb 1865 in Draper, Salt Lake County, Utah

    Marriage 2 Hubbard Bellows TUTTLE b: 7 Nov 1815 in Westfield, Hampden, Mass.
    • Married: 16 May 1844 in Westfield, Hampden, Mass.
    • Sealing Spouse: 1 Jun 1851
    1. Has Children Francenia Lucy TUTTLE b: 8 Oct 1845 in Westfield, Hampden, Massachusetts
    2. Has No Children Lucina Clarissa TUTTLE b: 6 Sep 1848 in Old Fort, Salt Lake Co., Ut
    3. Has No Children Hubbard TUTTLE b: 29 Apr 1850 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Ut, USA
  • We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

    Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Download GEDCOM

    Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly Version Search Ancestry Search Ancestry Search WorldConnect Search WorldConnect Join Today! Join Today!

    WorldConnect Home | WorldConnect Global Search | WorldConnect Help
    We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.