Name: Thomas HOWELL
Birth: ABT 1638 in Of Harleston, Haxelston, Staffordshire, England
Death: OCT 1687 in Cooper's Creek, Gloucester County, New Jersey, USA
According to family lore, Catherine Howell's grandfather, Thomas Howell, arrived in America in 1682 on the "Welcome" with William Penn. This has not been substantiated, however, by the Welcome Society. In England, Thoams had acquired a 1/800 part of the share of Lord Berkeley. This translated into a grant of some 650 acres, mostly in Gloucester (now Camden Co.) of West NJ, on the north side of Coopers Creek. Thomas was one of the pioneers in the settlement of West New Jersey. He was elected to the Colonial Assembly that convened in Burlington from 2-15 May 1683 and 5-8 Sep 1683; he was elected again in 1685 . His will, proved 1 Nov 1687, left his son Daniel the 200 acres on which Daniel lived.
!SOURCE: Rittenhouse Family Newsletter No. 13
!SOURCE: Thomas Howell and his children came to America in 1682 on the "Bristol Factor", arriving at New Castle Town, Delaware on 28 Oct 1682.
KATHERINE b: ABT 1635 in Of Farnsworth, Warwick, England
in Harleston, Staffordshire, England
- Daniel HOWELL b: ABT 1660 in Haxelston, Staffordshire, England
- Mordecai HOWELL b: 1662 in Of Tamworth, Warwick, England
- Miriam HOWELL b: ABT 1664 in Haxelston, Staffordshire, England
- Priscilla HOWELL b: ABT 1666 in Haxelston, Staffordshire, England
- Catherine HOWELL b: ABT 1668 in Haxelston, Staffordshire, England