Name: Samuel Mayo
Birth: 12 Oct 1655 in Eastham, Plymouth Colony
Death: 29 Oct 1738 in Eastham, Massachusetts
Burial: Orleans Cemetery 1
resident at Eastham 1695. 2
Check potential marriage to Sarah Canterbury.
Father: Nathaniel Mayo b: 1625 in Northamptonshire, England
Mother: Hannah Prence b: 1628 in Plymouth Colony
Ruth Hopkins b: Jun 1653 in Eastham, Plymouth Colony
26 May 1681
in Eastham, Plymouth Colony
"No proof has been found that Samuel Mayo's wife was Ruth Hopkins, the daughter of Gyles Hopkins and Catharine Whelden.
The above is confirmed in both the Stephen Hopkins "silver book" (Mayflower Descendants Through Five Generations, volume 6, by John D. Austin, 1995) and the Patience Brewster "pink book" (William Brewster - Mayflower Families in Progress, by Barbara Lambert Merrick, 2001)." Pam Sears
The children listed here are very different from some other lists seen. Caveat lector.
Mayflower Descendant, 36:161, has the will of Samuel Mayo of Eastham.
abstract: Dated 9 Apr 1734, proved 15 Nov 1738, mentions son Samuel (sole exr.), son Jonathan, Dau. Mercy Cole wife of John Cole, Dau. Rebecca Cole wife of Stephen Cole, Grandson Thomas Mayo, Dau. Mary Smith wife of Ralph Smith, Heirs of Dau. Hannah Hopkins deceased ("wife of Judah" added), Heirs of Dau. Sarah Higgins deceased, wife of James Higgins.
Inventory 28 Nov 1738.
- Hannah Mayo b: 8 Jan 1682 in Eastham, Plymouth Colony
- Rebecca Mayo b: Abt 1684 in Eastham, Plymouth Colony
- Mary Mayo b: 1685
- Mercy Mayo b: 3 Sep 1688 in Eastham, Plymouth Colony
- Samuel Mayo b: 1690 in Eastham, Plymouth Colony
- Sarah Mayo b: 1690 in Eastham, Plymouth Colony
- Jonathan Mayo b: 2 Dec 1696 in Eastham, Massachusetts
Mary Sweat b: 1701 in Eastham, Massachusetts
31 Aug 1728
in Eastham, Massachusetts 3
- Note: "Mr Samuel Mayo and mrs Mary Swaet were married by Nathanael ffreeman Esqur on the 31 day of august annodomini 1727/8" 3
- Title: index to Orleans, Massachusetts cemeteries
Publication: 1970. Excel file at Orleans Historical Society, http://orleanshistoricalsociety.org/collections.html
- Title: New England Historical and Genealogical Register
Publication: New England Historic Genealogical Society. Boston
- Title: Vital Records of the Towns of Eastham and Orleans...
Author: Smith and Smith
Publication: 1980, 1993. Baltimore MD
Text: Col. Leonard H Smith, Jr. and Norma H Smith. Vital Records of the Towns of Eastham and Orleans. An authorized facsimile reproduction of records published serially 1901-1935 in "The Mayflower Descendant." With an added index of persons.
1980, 1993. Baltimore MD: reprinted for Clearfield Co. by Genealogical Pub. Co.
Page: 52 (MD15:53)