Name: Ludwig (Louis) G. PLATT
Given Name: Ludwig (Louis) G.
Birth: 16 May 1838 in Rodheim-Bieber, Hessen-Nassau, Preußen
Death: 20 Apr 1904 in Baraboo, Sauk Co, Wisconsin
Burial: Walnut Hill Cem, Baraboo, Sauk Co, Wisconsin
Oliver Clement (Oct 1997) says Louis died 26 Apr 1904.
Change Date: 27 Feb 2003 at 00:00:00
Louis was a harness maker. He learned his trade from August Ringling, father of the Ringling brothers who had the great 'Ringling Brothers Circus'. For many years Louis made all of the fancy and ornamental harnesses for the circus. In 1880 a fire started in downtown Baraboo at Oak and Third Street and swept away about 1/4 block. The fire was fought with men forming bucket brigades and using water that was obtained from a large cistern near the present location of the court house. Louis Platt was one of the merchants whose business was burned. His harness shop with about $150 of supplies and machinery was lost. Years later his wife indicated that much of this loss occurred after the fire when his stock was taken by onlookers. In February 1865 Louis purchased a house on 7th Ave. in Baraboo in which he lived the rest of his life. His death in 1904 was from a stroke of apoplexy.
1880 Census Listing for Baraboo, Sauk, Wisconsin lists Louis' family thus:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Louis PLATT Self M Male W 42 GER Harness Maker --- ---
Mary A. PLATT Wife M Female W 37 OH Keeping House SWIT SWIT
Rose PLATT Dau S Female W 15 WI At School GER OH
Charles PLATT Son S Male W 13 WI At School GER OH
Annie PLATT Dau S Female W 11 WI At School GER OH
Julia PLATT Dau S Female W 7 WI At School GER OH
Henry PLATT Son S Male W 2 WI GER OH
Source: Family History Library Film 1255446, NA Film Number T9-1446, Page 22C (FamilySearch.org)
Father: Georg Andreas (Andrew) PLATT Sr b: 18 Apr 1804 in Rodheim-Bieber, Hessen-Nassau, Preußen
Mother: Anna Marie DÖNGES b: 7 Oct 1800 in Rodheim-Bieber, Hessen-Nassau, Preußen
Mariana (Mary) Elizabeth ZIMMERLY b: 7 Jan 1843 in Powhaten Point, Belmont or Monroe Co, Ohio
7 Apr 1864
in Sauk Co, Wisconsin
- Note: Louis and Mary had seven children, of whom one died young, two remained single, and four married. In addition, Louis was guardian to his niece Mary Platt, daughter of Jacob (Johann Jakob) Platt.
- Rose (Rosia) PLATT b: 1865 in Baraboo, Sauk Co, Wisconsin
- Charles Gregory PLATT b: 8 Jun 1868 in (Sauk Co, Wisconsin)?
- Anna Louise PLATT b: 1870 in (Sauk Co, Wisconsin)?
- Julia C. PLATT b: 1873 in (Sauk Co, Wisconsin)?
- Henry Richard PLATT b: 20 Nov 1877 in Baraboo, Sauk Co, Wisconsin
- Gertrude Pearl PLATT b: 1883 in Baraboo, Sauk Co, Wisconsin
- Olga PLATT b: 1887 in Sauk Co, Wisconsin