Name: Edward CULVER Sr
Given Name: Edward
Birth: 1610 in Dedham, Norfolk, ENG 1
Death: 1685 in Mystic, New London, CT 1
Burial: Groton, New London, CT 1
Change Date: 19 May 2003 at 01:00:00
Edward was born in England and died at New London, now called Groton , CT.
He was a scout in King Philip's War (1676), but because of his age , the
credit may be due his son, Edward.
Edward and his wife sold land in New London, 10 Feb 1661/2, both signing with
their marks. They conveyed to, "Our eldest son," John Culver, 25 No v1667.
Source of the following: "COLVER FAMILY 1635-1985, Ancestors and Descendants of Jacob Culver , Lehigh County, PA"
EDWARD CULVER, THE IMMIGRANT, OUR PURITAN ANCESTOR
Edward Colver, forebear of most of the American Colvers, came fro m the
southestern part of England to Boston, Mass, which lay about ten miles
southwest of Boston.
At Dedham Edward Colver found that earlier settlers, who held the grant of
lands, were denying admission to newcomers until provision could be m adefor
them, and he, along with others, had to wait for a new survey of land s.On 28, Nov 1637 the f ollowing grant of land was recorded:
Ed. Colver--10--ordered that Edward Colver, wheelwright, shal have two acres
layd out for ye present for imploym't in his trade and after to hav e anaddiconals wheras sha l be found needful. In the meantyme to hav e freeliberty of taking timber for his trade, ever y man's pp riety-- Reserved. *
Another grant of land was made to him 19 Jul 1639; a third grant of t hree
acres, one roode, 24 inches was made on 6 Feb 1642; a fourth grant o fwoodland was made o n 4 Feb 1644; and a fifth, a small parcel of lan d,was made in 1645.*
The second marriage in Dedham was that of "Edward Coluer & An Ellic e,"
recorded by town clerk Edward Alleyn on 19 Sep 1638.* Ann Ellis wa s the
daughter of John Ellis, one of the first settlers of Deham. Rev Joh nAllin,
pastor of the first church in Dedham, performed the ceremony.
Edward and Ann Colver were governed by the strict rules set forth i nthe
Dedham Compact. Not only did the Puritan settlers of this community w ishto
provide homes for themselves where they would be free from the objectionable
religious and political restrictions of others, but also they were determined
to build and to protect their own particular religious and politica lestablishments, keepin g out everybody and everything not in harmon y withtheir beliefs.
From the Dedham Compact
Dedham was a closed community made up of people who had banded togeth erfor
their own protection and for the preservation of their own interests . The
dangers of the primitive area surrounding the settlement drew them ev encloser together, comp elling them to build their houses near to on eanother. The first houses built were rude log s tructures roofed wit hthatch. If one of there houses were to catch fire, the whole town w oul dbe endangered. A Dedham town ordinance therefore required tht ea chbuilding should have a la dder from the ground to the chimney on th e rooffor use in case of fire.
The meetinghouse, built in 1637 and used for more than thirty years ,was a
structure 36 ft long, 20 ft wide, and 12 ft high. It too was built o flogs and roofed with t hatch. The "pitts" or pwes were 4 ft deep an d 41/2 ft wide. According to the custom of the d ay, the men sat on o ne sideof the aisle, and the women sat on the other. Children eithe r sa t in theaisle or on a raised platform at the rear where they cou ld be closelywatched. Sermon s and discussions were often four hour s in length, onsuch subjects as whether a believer i s more than an a nimal and whether aman may be justified before he believes. In addit ion t o the minister,ther congregation employed a
thithingman, whose duties were to go on errands for the elders, to wh ipthe
dogs out of the meetinghouse, and to prevent the boys from being disruptive.
Many years this worthy man received as much pay for his services as d idthe
deputy to the general court because his duties were so heavy.
The numerous dogs in the settlement, which were such a nuisance whe nthey
wandered into the meetinghouse, were necessary as protection agains t the
Indians and wild beasts that surrounded the settlement. The wolves th at
abounded in the area were of constant danger to the people of the community and to their live stock.
A schoolhouse that was 18 ft long, 14 ft wide, and two stories hig hwas built later near th e meetinghouse. A person standing on the watchtower on top of the building and looking out o ver the settlement below him would see about two hundred acres of land that had been clea red but was full of stumps and roots. At a distance he could see th e commongrazing lands or "her d walks." Beyond that was wilderness.
Although Edward Colver was a wheelwright by trade, he also engage d infarming and served a s an Indian scout. He took part in the India n wars,fighting against the Pequot Indians in 16 37. At that time Col onel JohnMason, who commanded a small band of ninety white men, sen t Ed wardColver to enlist the help of King Uncas of the Mohicans, wh o brought 150warriors to tak e part in an attack upon the Pequot stro nghold. Thisattack on 4 june 1637 resulted in the de feat of the Pequ ots. EdwardColver won the respect of the Indians with whom he scoute d the P equots.King Uncas of the Mohicans held Edward Colver in suc h great esteem thathe named his s on after Colver's second son, Joshu a.
For his service in the Pequot war, Edward Colver received 2 grant s ofland,
1 of 200 acres in 1652/3 and another of 400 acres in 1654. This lan d was
situated about 4 miles north of the battleground, near the head of th eMystic
River. The 400 acre plot was called by the Indians "Chepadas" and remained in
the family for generations. However, it was not until 1678 that the Colver
family settled upon their land at the village of Mystic, near Groton ,CT. This property was o n the west side of the river near Gov. Winth rop'smill.
In fact, the Colver family settled too close to Gov. Winthrop's holdings. In 1681 Winthrop' s son, Major Fitz John Winthrop, sued the Colvers for certain lands and a house that fell wit hin the bounds of a tract granted to Gov. Winthrop by the town of New London in 1652/3. Winth rop won the case when it was appealed to the General Court. The co urtbattle was between seco nd generation Colvers and Winthrops sinc e in 1678Edward Colver had given his farm called "Ch epadas" to his s ons Josephand Ephriam. Joseph later bought out Ephraim's share, an d the "Ch epadas"farm was passed down through his family through th e 7th generation.
Four children were born to Edward and Ann (Ellis) Colver at Dedham ,MA: John b. 15 Apr 1640 ; Joshua, b. 12 Jan 1643/2; Samuel, b. 9 Ja n1644/5; and Joseph, baptized 20 Sep 1646 at Dedh am. About 1645 or 1 646,Edward and Ann removed from Dedham to the settlement of Roxbury , Mas s.Here were born Gershom, bapt. 3 Dec 1648; a daughter who die d in infancy21 Jan 1650/1; an d a dau. Hannah, bapt. 11 Apr 1652. I n 1653 the familyremoved to Pequot, lated called New L ondon, CT, whe re Edward was bornabt 1654 and a son Ephraim was b. abt 1656.
On 5 May 1662 at New London, Edward Colver was allowed to brew bee rand to
make bread. On 9 Jan 1664/65 he was granted permission to sell liquor s,
indicating that Edward Colver had been established in Pequot as a bak erand as a sort of innk eeper. "Goodman Culver is chosen and allowe d bythe towne for the making of bread and bruin g of beere for the pu blickegoode." "Goodman Culver is allowed by the towne to sell liquo rs ,provided that he shall brew also, ells not: provided also the cou rt allof it, ingaging alwa ys to have good beere and good dyet and lo dging fora man and horse, to attend alsoe to goo d order." The cour t reserved theright to withdraw this permission if the quality of Ed war d Colver'sgoods and service-- and the samples-- was not acceptabl e to its members.
Numerous records of conveyance of land appear in the town record o fDedham
and Roxbury, Mass., and of New London, CT, which Edward and Ann signe dby mark.On 28 Jul 168 2 Edward Colver Sr. of New London, wheelwright ,"in consideration of my own age and weaknes s of memory and understanding" gave land to his wife Ann, signing by mark. This bold adventu rous, enterprising man, who came to New England in 1635, bringing little with him but his ow n strength and ability and the tools of his trade, was illiterate like so many of his contemp oraries. But what h elacked in formal education, he made up in his initiative and commo nsens e. Edward Colver accumulated extensive holdings of land, raise d alarge family, and gained th e respect not only of the other coloni sts butalso of the Indians with whom he scouted the Pe quots.
No one knows for certain where or when Edward Colver was born or wh ohis
parents were. Frederic Lanthrop Colver gives the year 1600 as the yea r of
Edward Colver's birth. Francis Branum Culver cites the year 1610. Jam esP.
Snell, in his biography of George W. Collver in "Histories of Susse z andWarren Counties, NJ " states that the father of Edward Colver, t hePurtian, was John Colver and that Edward ha d a brother John who re mainedin England and inherited their father's estate. However, no n e of thesestatements has been substantiated. The origin of Edward Co lver, thePuritan, is s till open to discovery.
Charles G. Colver, a present-day Colver researcher and mayor of Covina, CA,
states that besides farming Edward Colver built and operated severa lmills,
including a water-powered gristmill at the head of a cove on the Tham esRiver, and that the l atter was still in daily use as late as 1897 . Themill has been restored by the state of CT a nd is now an histori clandmark.
Cora Grunwald of Ledyard, CT, was the person responsible for discovering the initials "E.C . and A.C." on the rough stone gravemarkers o fEdward and Ann Colver in the Elder Wightman Bu rial Ground at New Lo ndon,CT. Cora had the forethought to roll over the large stones an d f oundthat the initials had been protected from weathering becaus e they hadlay on the bottom s of the stones and had been protected b y the ground.Charles G. Colver had the initials carv ed a little deep er by astonecarver, who retained the original shape and positions o f thelet ters. In cooperation with James Colver of Milwaukee, WI, who m he meton a visit to the Wightm an Burial Ground, Charles G. Colve r erected asimple monument to celebrate the life of Edwar d Colver, t he Purian, andhis wife Ann (Ellis) Colver.
Father: John CULVER b: 1576 in ,ENG
Ann ELLIS b: 1 Jul 1619 in Dedham, Norfolk, Mass c: 17 Sep 1641 in ,CT
19 Sep 1638
in Dedham, Mass 1
- John CULVER b: 15 Apr 1640 in Dedham, Mass c: 19 Sep 1641 in Dedham, Norfolk, Mass
- Joshua CULVER b: 12 Jan 1641/1642 in Dedham, Mass c: 29 Jan 1641/1642 in Dedham, Norfolk, Mass
- Samuel CULVER b: 9 Jan 1643/1644 in Dedham, Mass c: 29 Jan 1643/1644 in Dedham, Norfolk, Mass
- Joseph CULVER b: 20 Sep 1646 in Dedham, Mass
- Gershom CULVER b: 3 Dec 1648 in Roxbury, Mass
- Miss CULVER b: ABT. 1650 in Roxbury, Mass
- Hannah CULVER b: 11 Apr 1652 in Roxbury, Norfolk, Mass
- Edward CULVER LT. b: ABT. 1654 in New London, CT c: 1701 in First Church, of Lebanon, CT
- Ephraim CULVER b: 1656 in New London, CT c: 1701 in First Church, of Lebanon, CT
- Margaret CULVER b: 1657
Source Media Type: Other
Text: Date of Import: May 19, 1999