Name: Rice EDWARDS
Birth: 1620 in Wales
Death: BEF JUN 1683 in Beverly, Essex, Massachusetts
NEHGR Apr 2001
From Colonial New England Westward
Entries: 13387 Updated: 2006-06-26 07:45:06 UTC (Mon) Contact: James C. Clark
Rice Edwards has a section of land in Beverly that is mentioned on p. 71 of EIHC 1919
Grover Street was laid out 18 Mar 1678/9 and described as follows:
"...a drift way beginning between John Dodges Sr. and Rice Edwards through the said Dodge's pasture..."
The following is a verbatim report written and researched by Donald S. Kenney of Fayston, Vermont, a descendant of Rice Edwards through his son Benjamin. It contains a great deal of original and fascinating historical data from the times, and will also be helpful to those who wish to do further research on the Edwards family (the Edwards genealogy continues at the end of the note):
Rice Edwards came to the colonies from England or Wales. Family tradition says that he came from Wales. If so, his name most probably would have been spelled R-H-Y-S, and pronounced "Reece" in the Welsh. Rhys, as well as Edwards is a common name in Wales even today.
The genealogical records of the Church of the Latter Day Saints identify a Rice Edwards as being Christened on 30 November 1614 at Willoughby-With-Slothby, Lincolnshire, England. He was the son of John Edwards, had a brother named John and a sister named Susan. He also apparently had an uncle or an older brother named Thomas. These names as well as the birth date of Rice fit nicely with the Rice Edwards family of Wenham. Naming patterns in Northern England were traditional. The custom was to name the first son for his paternal grandfather. The first son born to Rice Edwards was named John. I have not as yet found any instance of early records in Massachusetts of Rice Edwards where his name was spelled Rhyc, Rhys or Reece, which would have been the phonetic spelling much in common in early records.
It has not been determined from what port in England Rice may have sailed, his port of entry into America, nor his date of arrival in the colonies. It is most likely that he arrived before 1642. In mid-1640, primarily because of the events in England leading up to the Puritan Revolution in 1642, "The migration of settlers temporarily ceased." Peter Wilson Coldham in "The Complete Book of Emigrants 1607-1660" (Baltimore, 1987) pg. 2 10226, shows that on May 6 the "Merchant Adventurer", left England and was the last ship, in his research, that carried passengers to New England in 1640; in 1641 only one ship, and in 1642 no ships carrying passengers came to New England. Coldham further states it was not until 1648 that "A trickle of new emigrants appears to have begun again."
The identity of the wife or wives of Rice is also still to be determined. He may have had two wives. According to Clarence Almon Torrey in "New England Marriages Prior To 1700", he offers that Rice may have had two wives, but questions both, as there is no primary evidence stating the name of any wife of Rice Edwards. He states both an Elnor and Joan or Joanna as possible wives of Rice. Sidney Perley in his "The History of Salem, Massachusetts", Vol. 11, Salem, Mass. 1926, pg. 140, regarding Rice Edwards, states The name of his wife was probably Elnor, and born about 1620". James Savage in "A Genealogical Dictionary of The First Settlers of New England" Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, NM, 1965, Vol. II, pg. 103; Rice, Salem 1643, Boston 1646, a joiner. His wife Joan was adm. of our ch. 9 May 1647. The source of this information or what church she joined has not been found. This reference to Joan as a wife to Rice and being in Boston in 1646, is highly questionable as Rice was married by June 1643, and was raising a family in Wenham from 1644 to 1662. There is no indication from the records of Wenham or Beverly that Rice was in Boston or Watertown during these years. "Boston Births, Baptisms, Marriages and Deaths, 1630-1699.", "Report of the Second Commissioners, Boston, 1883," Rockwell and Churchill, City Printers. 1662 City Document No. 130, Pg. 86--Henry Raynor & Johanna Edwards, widow were married 9th June (1662) by John Endecott, (sic) Governor. Rice Edwards of Wenham was alive at this time.
There have been other writers who have indicated that the wife of Rice Edwards was Joan, but they appear to be only mimicking what others have written, and again offer no primary source for the name of Rice's wife.
In the "Records and Files of the Quarterly Courts of Essex County, Massachusetts, Vol. I, 1636-1656, Published by The Essex Institute, Salem, Mass. (I 91 1). Pg. 56; "Rise (also Rice) Edwards and his wife admonished for incontinency " [failure to restrain one's passions] before marriage. Court presentments of 4 mo. (June) 1643. If Rice was described as having a wife at this time, they must have "exhibited incontinency" before this date and married before June 1643. In the same Quarterly Courts records, Vol. III, November 1665, pg. 296, is a presentment in which the wife of Rice Edwards is a witness, her Christian name is not given, she is called the
"wife of Rice Edwards." Later in Vol. 4 of the Quarterly Courts, September 1680, Pg. 18, Elnor Edwards is at the house with Rice Edwards.
In Essex County Probate Records, Book 307, Pg. 134, is an agreement between Rice Edwards and his son Benjamin by which the son agreed to take care of his father, in consideration of which he was to receive the greater share of his father's estate. This document is dated 18 April 1681. As no allusion is made to Rice's wife, it may be inferred that she was not living at that time. There was an Elnor Edwards baptized at the Congregational Church at Wenham by Rev. Gerrish in 1680. I believe this was the wife of Rice Edwards just prior to her death.
It was the custom in the seventeenth century to name children for parents and grandparents. There are no records of any children in the subsequent generations of the Edwards family being named Joan. There are several instances of an Eleanor. It is highly unlikely that the name of Rice Edwards' wife was Joan. Twins born in 1717 of grandson Joseph and wife Hannah were named Rice and Eleanor.
After Rice's death, his son Benjamin was appointed administrator of Rice's estate. Rice's children joined in an agreement that the contract between Rice and son Benjamin, did not include the movable furniture. The date of this agreement is 15th-4th-1683, (June 15, 1683). It was signed by Rice Edwards' sons and sons-in-law as follows: John Edwards, Thomas Edwards, and "In right of Thy wife"; John Knowlton, John Leach, John Coy, William Cleaves and Richard Lee. Daughter Bethia was married to John Knowlton; Mary to John Leach; Elizabeth to John Coy; Martha to William Cleaves and Sarah to Richard Lee. Martha Cleaves was deceased at this time.
The claim that Martha Edwards was married to William Cleaves is based on his name being included in the above mentioned agreement. Her name as Martha is based on several notations found in "The Register of Baptisms of the First Church in Beverly, 1667-1710--With Annotations by Augustus A. Galloupe" Research Publication Company, 14 Beacon St. Boston, Massachusetts, (1903). Galloupe prefaces the records with the following note: "The object in copying the baptisms in the First Church at Beverly is to add the maiden surnames of the mothers of the children baptized. The list is not full and complete, owing to a transient residence, of many members of the church, in the town. But mainly, and so far as ascertained, the list is "fairly" full, in regard to the early membership. [Note by editor. --Mr. Galloupe has placed the maiden name of the mothers in parentheses. Such additions are NOT part of the original record, but were obtained by careful investigation and comparison with the various existing records.]
From the above noted reference: Pg. 16, 1681: 24 March Bapt. John, Eleanor and Martha of William and Martha (dau. of Giles Corey) Cleaves (1st wife).
Pg. 21, 21 Nov. 1686, Bapt. of Margaret (Marget) (Corey) Cleaves-- (2nd wife. Both wives daughters Giles Corey--Salem Witchcraft).
There is no extant, primary record of a birth of Martha or Margaret Corey. There is a primary record of the marriage at Marblehead, Mass., 18 May 1683, (Vital Records of Marblehead, Massachusetts to the End of the Year 1849. Vol. II, Systematic History Fund (1908); of William Cleaves and Margaret Corey. William Cleaves is called "my sone in law" by Giles Corey father-of Margaret Corey, in his Will.
There is no reason for the name of William Cleaves to be mentioned in the agreement between Benjamin Edwards and his siblings regarding their father's estate unless he was indeed the husband of one of Rice Edwards' daughters.
In making a Will, custom in the 1600's dictated that all children be named as well as those deceased, with the spouse of their children named as beneficiary. There is no question that the persons named in the 1683 agreement are all the children born to Rice Edwards and his spouse who survived infancy, as well of their deceased daughter Martha.
William Stowell Mills, author of "The Edwards Family of Wenham Prior to 1717", NEHGS Register, January 1902, Volume 56, Pg 60-62, writes: "Few New England families of equal size have been more difficult to trace than this one, particularly the first three generations. There are many repetitions of Christian names, a consequence, in part, of the fact that two of the men in the second and one in the third generation married women of the same (first) name."
Family identification has been confused over the years by historians and genealogists in published documents which in several cases were perpetuated by others, thus carrying on errors by not checking primary sources.
Sidney Perley in his "History of Salem, Massachusetts", Volume II, 1638-1670, Salem, Mass. 1926, states: Rice Edwards, born about 1615, came from Watertown. The name of his wife was probably Elnor, and born about 1620. They lived in the Wenham part of Salem until 1652, when they sold their house and ten-acre lot of land, and removed into that part of Salem which was incorporated as Beverly in 1668. They were living in 1680. Children: 1. Abraham, baptized in Salem Aug. 19, 1638; 2. John, baptized in Salem June 6, 1639; lived in Beverly; married Mary Solart May 21, 1666; had children; 3. Joseph, baptized in Salem May 22, 1642; 4. Joshua, baptized in Salem June 18, 1643; 5. Mary; married John Leach.
Perley also states in the same work, Volume I, pg. 433, Thomas Edwards, shoemaker, lived in part of Salem that became Marblehead, six in family in 1637; had brother Nathaniel in 1651. Children of Thomas and Elizabeth: John, baptized June 6, 1639: Joseph, baptized May 22, 1642; Joshua, baptized June 18, 1643.
George Hortense Edwards, author of "Edwards and Todd Families", gives: Edwards, Abraham, born Aug. 12, 1637, at Wenham (Salem before 1643) bp. June 19, 1638, in First Church, Salem. Son of John of Watertown and Wethersfield, Conn.
Henry Reed Stiles author of "The History of Ancient Wethersfield" Reprint (1987), states: Edwards, John, "baptized April 6, 1639" born 1638. Called Captain John son of John the settler: bought land in Wethersfield, Conn., in 1664. Edwards, Joseph, baptized March 22, 1642, son of John the settler, in Wethersfield, Conn.; bought land there Feb. 1, 1665. Thomas, son of John the settler, received property from deceased father's estate in 1664-5, was living in Wethersfield in 1649-50.
Richard D. Pierce, editor of "The Records of the First Church in Salem, Massachusetts, 1629-1737" The Essex Institute, Salem, Mass., 1974, shows under names of Children Baptized: " 12: 6: 1638 (12 July 1638)
Abra[ham], son of [Rice] Edwards of Watertowne. "Those portions in brackets were added by the editor. He quotes "Perley 11, 140" as his source.
In "Cushing and Allied Families", 1931, author John Cushing Fuess shows as daughter of Rice, "Sarah, born about 1636-3 7, probably by first wife Elinor."
Clarence Almon Toffey in his "New England Marriages Prior to 1700" (1985) pg. 588, lists "Nathaniel Piper and Sarah (Edwards?), d/o Rice, m. (2) Ezekiel Woodward; 1st ch. b. 1656, b. 1658? Ipswich".
This information is promulgated further in the "Piper Families of Worcester Co., Mass." by Claude W. Barlow, 1956, and "Nathaniel Piper and Some of His Descendants", by Fred S. Piper. In these works, the deposition in the "Records And Files of the Quarterly Courts of Essex County, Massachusetts, Vol 3., The Essex Institute, Salem, Mass. (1919) for September 1679, regarding the suit brought by Ezekiel Wooderd (Woodward) against John Poland, for slandering he and his wife, which was used by these writers in an attempt to establish a relationship between Wooderd's second wife, the widow of Nathaniel Piper and Rice Edwards. John Knowlton and his wife Bethia (Edwards) Knowlton were witnesses in this case and mention of "sister" Knowlton, but this reference to "sister" is common language of the day, but not denoting a blood sister. Bethia (Edwards) Knowlton did have a sister Sarah, born about 1654. The Sarah who married Nathaniel Piper did so in 1655.
The names of Rice Edwards' sons are stated in the 15 June 1683 agreement mentioned above. The names of the daughters are determined by the husband's names mentioned in the same document and future marriage, birth and death records of Wenham, Beverly and Ipswich.
We know Rice Edwards was a "joiner", a finish carpenter, and, of necessity, also a farmer as was true of almost all early residents. In the " Town Records of Salem, Massachusetts, 1639-1659", Vol. 1, The Essex Institute, Salem, Mass. (1913) Pg. 116, on 13 February 1642-43, "Granted Ryce Edwards ten acres nere Mr. Blackleech his farme to be laid out by the towne." This piece of land was situated in that part of Salem that three months later on 10 May 1643, the General Court (legislature) of Massachusetts established as Wenham, a separate township from Salem. It is clear that Rice Edwards was a pioneer resident of Wenham.
The Town of Wenham is about 20 miles north-northeast of Boston and six miles inland and north of the seaport of Salem. Today it is bounded on the north by Hamilton (originally a part of Ipswich known as Ipswich Hamlet), east by Manchester, south by Beverly and west by Danvers (originally Salem Village) and Topsfield. The township is about 6 1/2 miles long east-to-west and 2 1/4 miles in width at its widest point, narrowing to half a mile to the east.The general surface of the town is relatively level, much of it rather low and in colonial days, probably swampy. At the time of Rice's arrival, most of the land was covered by a heavy growth of trees, a mixture of evergreens and hardwood. The "Manchester Woods", so-called, extended over a considerable portion of the narrow east of town.
Historian Adeline P. Cole writing in 1943 commented: "(Wenham), this first town to be set off from Salem, was no independent, democratic community; it was of the pattern of the mother town of Salem, and beyond that-of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, and beyond that--the old country, England. It was a community in which the civil and religious life were one, controlled by those people, a fraction only of the population, who were members of the church body."
One of the first Wenham town meetings on 13 September 1643, voted that no inhabitant should "introduce anyone into town without the consent of the Selectmen,"
This action was taken to preserve the community from the intrusion of the idle, contentious and immoral. The Massachusetts General Court provided that Freemen had the power to grant lots of land, make orders for their own regulation, assess and collect fines and choose their own officers.
Not long after Rice's arrival, the first church in Wenham was organized on 8 October 1644, by The Rev. John Fiske, a physician and graduate of Emanuel College, Cambridge, England. Seven families comprised the church's initial membership; the Rice Edwards family was not among them.
Communications between the small Massachusetts settlements were at first by sea or narrow footpaths. Travel improved somewhat in 1644, when the General Court laid out a highway from Salem to Ipswich and routed it through Wenham.
Wenham was not the quiet suburban community it is today. A town meeting on 28 November 1644, agreed that anyone killing a wolf should be paid 20 shillings. This, in fact, was Wenham's first tax law.
At the town meeting on 24 December 1644, it was decided that those with lots in Wenham Neck should fence them and that cattle not be allowed on common land where corn is growing until it be harvested. Also, "it is agreed at this meetinge that no one shall fell a tree upon the Common & cut it out for any thinge, to sell it out of the Towne to any (person)… ." Wenham's first environmentalists.
The Rice Edwards family began to grow. Son John was born in 1644, followed by Bethia, 1646; Mary, 1648; Elizabeth, 1650; Thomas, 1652; Sarah, 1654; Martha in 1656, and finally, Benjamin in 1662.
Meanwhile, historian John Brooks Threfall writes in "Fifty Great Migration Colonists to New England and their Origins" (1990) that Henry Haggett, servant to John Ludwell, left Southampton, England, in late April, 1638, aboard the 200-ton ship Confidence and was next reported in 1642 at Wenham where he was the town cowkeeper. He and Rice Edwards appeared in court at Salem on 1 March 1647/8, where they were admonished for fighting, but "there were no blows given; they only struggled together, and never having been before the court for a similar offence, were to pay only witness fees and costs."
The following November Henry Haggett's wife was fined "for wishing the curse of God on Rice Edwards and that fire might come down from heaven and consume his house, as it did Goodwife Ingersoll's barn.
Town Records of Salem, Massachusetts, Vol. 1, 1634-1659, The Essex Institute, Salem, Mass. (1913) pg. 168, show that at a meeting of the Selectmen on 16th, 4th - mo 1651 (16 June 1651): "Granted to Rice Edwards 20 acres of land lying neare adjoining to Richard Dodg his land in consideration of 20 acres of land he doth resigne to the towne lying below Makerill Cove towards the Cricke that he bought of Mr. Thornedick wch was formerlie granted to Richard Lambert".
Mackerel Cove is that portion of Beverly from Curtis Point, that is the north end of Dane Street Beach, beyond to what is now Mingo Beach, the beginning of a section of Beverly called Beverly Farms. The land in between these points in now called Beverly Cove. In colonial times it was also know as Cape-Ann-Side. The "Cricke" referred to above is most probably that small creek, still there today, that enters the upper end of Dane Street Beach at the head of Ober Street. A valuable piece of land today, but at the time of his resigning this land for that in North Beverly, I think he got the better of the deal.
Rice Edwards sold his house and 10-acre plot in Wenham and moved to the larger property in that section of Salem which was soon to become Beverly. He was now formally a "Planter" or property owner--a man of substance to be reckoned with.
Adeline Cole describes the typical house of that era: "It has one room and an entry, a big central chimney, a gable; the huge fireplace was in the kitchen and was the common room for all who were part of the household. It was where they cooked and ate, spun and wove, made soap and sausages, and candles for lighting. Overcrowded with people and diverse activities, it was no quiet place when the big families of twelve and fourteen children were in process of growing up; such overcrowding and forced intimacy did not conduce to delicacy or simple manners."
"The trammel bar in the huge fireplace provided a place to hang the pots, kettles and spits used for cooking. In the big kettle was cooked corn meal mush, occasionally meats and stews, as the daily fare of the colonists; before the fire on new shingles were baked the Indian bannocks (crisp corn meal mush). Meat was supplied from the wild game by those who had time to hunt.
"The furniture consisted of the trestle table, benches, and one or two chairs for the old people or company, chests for the clothing since there were no closets."
In 1653, the Massachusetts General Court requested each town to solicit funds for scholarships to Harvard College in order to "raise up suitable Rulers and Elders". Wenham Town Records show that 24 residents pledged support, including Rice Edwards (1 shilling, 6 pence). Neighbor Richard Dodge was the most generous donor, contributing 2 pounds. Rice Edwards, as well as many of the future generations of Edwards appear in the Wenham Town Records long after they moved to Beverly, as they attended the Congregational Church at Wenham where much of the early activity was recorded such as the donation to Harvard College. It wasn't until about 1870 that the Edwards then living in the Centerville section of Beverly, established their own church in that part of town. Prior to this, they attended the Wenham Congregational Church and later the Baptist Church located in Wenham Neck at the junction of Dodge's Row and Larch Row.
Cattle were reported to have done "great damage" to Wenham's Great Meadow in 1655 and their owners were ordered to put up fences two rails high or the equivalent.
The population of Wenham was reduced significantly when the Rev. John Fiske and a majority of his congregation left town suddenly in 1656 to form a new settlement 25 miles inland at Chelmsford.
An entry in "Town Records of Salem, Massachusetts" Vol. I, 1634-1659, The Essex Institute, Salem, Mass. (1913) Pg. 200, At a meeting of the Select men on 11 May 1657, reports a land adjustment and again confirms the location of Rice Edwards' property.
In 1663, the General Court repealed a law requiring all Freemen to meet at Boston to elect colonial officers; instead, communities were authorized to send delegates. A new Meeting House was built at Wenham in 1664. The town of Beverly was set off from Salem on 23 November 1668 and a committee was appointed to determine the line between Bass River (Beverly) and Wenham.
King Charles, II of England modified a 1644 regulation requiring a Freeman to be a member of the Congregational church. Instead, Freemen could now obtain a certificate testifying to their correctness in doctrine from a clergyman acquaintance. None but Freemen could hold office or vote for rulers.
It is estimated that the population of Wenham in 1663 to have been 200 souls, so the Rice Edwards family of ten people was a major constituency.
On by one, the children left home to marry; John in 1666, to marry Mary Solart of Wenham and then Sarah Woodin; he had 14 children. Bethia left in 1669 to marry John Knowlton of Ipswich; they had 11 children. Mary married John Leach of Wenham; they had two daughters. Sarah married Richard Lee of Ipswich in 1670; they had nine children. Elizabeth left in 1679 to marry John Coy of Beverly; and they had three children. Martha married William Cleaves of Beverly and they had three children. Benjamin left in 1681 to marry Martha Gaines of Ipswich and then Mary, probably Martha Gaines' sister; they had nine children. The family of Rice Edwards had grown by 57 new people in just one generation.
As if colonial life wasn't rigorous enough, previously complacent Indians began to assert themselves. The town agreed to store ammunition at the meeting house in 1671 as protection against the Indians. King Philip's War erupted in 1675 and eight men from Wenham went off to do battle with the Narragansetts. All towns were required to clear brush along roads to prevent Indians from hiding there. Farmers carried guns with them into the fields as they plowed and sentinels paced around the meeting house while worshippers attended church. No Indian attacks occurred however.
Rice's new neighbor Richard Dodge during his lifetime, dedicated a piece of his land to a burying ground for himself and posterity. He died 16 June 1671, and he most likely was buried in this burying ground as well as Rice and his wife, although no marker remains today to confirm this. The descendants of Richard Dodge and others used this burying place and on 24 February 1730-31, entered into an agreement to confirm and establish the privilege of burying on this land by several of the Dodge family as well as Thomas Edwards and Benjamin Edwards, sons of Rice Edwards. This burying ground was extended in 1812 (Essex County Registry of Deeds, 237-204) and again in 1815 (Essex County Registry of Deeds, 236-70). From Essex Institute Historical Collection, Vol.24, pp. 112-122. (1887). This burying place is now known as the Dodge's Row Cemetery. The first know burial was in 1705, as the grave marker is still standing. The last known as of this date, 1996, was in the mid 1950's.
The original burial ground is on the side of a hill. That portion which was enlarged, is a flat, quiet area surrounded by a stone wall with Hawthorn trees scattered about among the gravestones.
Legend has it that a "giant" was buried here. The gravemarker is located outside the stonewall. It is suspected that the "giant" was a slave, due to the location of the stone. Many of the Dodge family had slaves in the early years.
According to the original agreement, it was the responsibility of the owner families to maintain the cemetery. In 1940, The Commonwealth of Massachusetts decreed that all private cemeteries are to be maintained by the communities within which they are located. This included the Dodge's Row Cemetery. The gravemarkers are showing the ravages of time, some disappearing under the sod. The City of Beverly does attempt to keep the property in reasonable condition.
Access to the cemetery today is through the driveway of No. 292 Dodge Street, Beverly. A chain is across the entrance to keep out unwanted trespassers. Descendants of the original signers of the agreement may continue to use the cemetery. If you visit, don't be intimidated by the chain. The original deed grants you access. Within the last few years, the cemetery has been completely surrounded by houses.
A new boundary between Beverly and Wenham was surveyed during the summer of 1679 by Charles Gott and John Batchelder. When a dozen Beverly residents complained that they now found themselves residents of Wenham, Gott and Batchelder confessed "that the compass that they ran by sight was altogether false. It would not work and the north point stood south or any way, so they shook it and turned it the way best answered their ends."
The most serious trouble occurred, however, when it came time to collect taxes. Beverly Constable Peter Woodbury collected as usual from his previous townsmen. But when Wenham Selectmen Walter Fairfield and Thomas Fiske took it upon themselves to "run the line" again and said they found John Dodge's house to be in Wenham.
Accompanied by Wenham Constable Richard Hutton they visited Dodge's house when John Dodge was away and took three pewter platters in payment of Wenham taxes. They then passed by the house of Rice and Elnor Edwards and when Sarah Dodge came by and saw her purloined tableware, she tried to grab it.
Elnor Edwards deposed in Court that, "They all three pulled her (Sarah Dodge) down and dragged her upon the ground, Thomas Fiske, Sr. striking her a blow on the neck with his fist. Then Rice Edwards cried out, "Rescue that woman," and John Edwards stepped in and held Fiske and Fairfield by the shoulders." The court assessed the Wenham officials' costs of 50 pounds for the fracas. (Records and Files of the Quarterly Courts of Essex County, Massachusetts, Vol. IV, Sept. 1680, pp. 18-22. The Essex Institute, Salem, Mass. (1911).
Earlier, Pastor Joseph Gerrish had been called by the Wenham congregation in 1674 and was supported by a "ministry rate" assessed all church members. An undated entry in the Wenham Town Records says: "To be allowed to Rice Edwards in the yere (16)80 & now to his son Benjamin, 3 shillings of Rice his 15 shillings to the ministry rate."
At a Wenham town meeting on 1 November 1682, it was voted that "John Edwards hath a towne priviledg granted him as an Inhabitant. Also Benjamin Edwards hath acceptance of a townsman & tht there is town priviledg granted to the howse or situation of his father Rice Edwards."
Elnor Edwards is believed to have died about 1680, shortly after the court appearance. Rice Edwards died shortly before 15 April 1683.
- Martha EDWARDS b: ABT 1657 in Salem, Mass.