Name: Charles Carnan Ridgely , Governor
Birth: 6 DEC 1760 in Baltimore , Maryland
Death: 17 JUL 1829 in 'Hampton', Baltimore, Co.
Military Service: General
Burial: Hampton House Cemetery, Towson, Baltimore Co., Maryland
CHARLES RIDGELY OF HAMPTON: undoubtedly the richest man to be elected Governor of Maryland,
His uncle Captain Charles Ridgely, willed his estate to him on the condition that he change his name to Charles Ridgely which he did legally in 1790. He was also known as Charles Ridgely of Hampton.
Manager of Hampton estate
Owner of Northampton Iron Works, 1790
Maryland House of Delegates, 1790-1795
Maryland Senate, 1796-1800
Governor of Maryland, 1816-1819 (Federalist and was instrumental in the establishment of the B&O railroad. Interesting item: Marble from the Ridgely estate was used to build the Washington Monument.
Note: Charles "Of Hampton Mansion" Ridgely built Hampton Mansion between 1783-1790. Charles Ridgely owned 12,000 acres and was childless. Left estate to his nephew, Charles Carnan upon the condition he change his name to Ridgely.
The Maryland Gazette described him as an aristocrat. 'The splendors with which he entertained, his plate and his equipage, was adapted to his fortune as well as to his disposition, while they procured him the admiration of all, they were never made use of to wound the feelings of any.'
"At his death, his holdings amounted to about 10,000 acres of land in Baltimore County. He owned over three hundred slaves together with a library of about 175 volumes; silverplate valued at over $2,300 and a total estate of nearly $150,000."
Military Service: 1794 Brigadier General in the state militia
Governor of Maryland and owner of the historic Hampton House. He was the nephew of Charles Ridgely and was born Charles Ridgely Carnan but legally changed his name to Charles Carnan Ridgely after the death of his uncle and the inheritance of all his property. Son of John Carnan and Achsah Ridgely but his uncle Charles Ridgely b. 1727 and wife Rebecca Dorsey were like second parents to him and probably how he met Priscilla Hill Dorsey who was Rebecca's baby sister.
Father: John Carnan b: 1726 in (he took the surname Ridgely)
Mother: Achsah Ridgely b: 22 JUL 1729 in 'Hampton House', Baltimore, MD
Priscilla Hill Dorsey b: 12 JUL 1762 in 'Belmont', Elkridge, MD
17 OCT 1782
in Old Saint Paul's Church, Baltimore , MD
Name: Charles Ridgely Carnan
Marriage Date: 14 Oct 1782
Spouse: Priscilla Dorsey
Spouse Gender: Male
Ancestry.com Maryland database
- Charles Carnan Ridgely , Jr. b: 26 AUG 1783
- Rebecca Dorsey Carnan Ridgely b: 5 MAR 1786 in 'Hampton', Maryland
- John Carnan Ridgely b: 9 JAN 1790 in "Hampton", Baltimore, MD
- Prudence Gough Ridgely b: 15 JUN 1791 in 'Hampton Mansion', Baltimore,Maryland
- Achsah Ridgely b: 20 AUG 1792 in Baltimore, Maryland
- Henry Ridgely b: 17 FEB 1795 in Hampton House, Baltimore Co., Maryland
- Priscilla Hill Dorsey Ridgely b: 17 MAR 1796 in Maryland
- Eliza Ridgely b: 24 MAY 1797 in Baltimore , Maryland
- David Latimer Ridgely , Esq. b: 19 NOV 1798 in Baltimore, MD
- Sophia Gough Ridgely b: 3 JUL 1800
- Mary Pue Ridgely b: 13 FEB 1802 in Maryland
- Harriet Ridgely b: 13 JUL 1803 in Baltimore , MD