Ann (Annie) MURDEN: Birth: 1864 in Ruddington, Nottinghamshire, England (Europa), [Jun 1864 Basford 7b 163]. Death: 1900 in Swallowbeck?, Lincolnshire, England (Europa), [Jun 1900 Lincoln 7a 308, 34 yrs]
William HARRISON: Birth: 1 FEB 1868 in Ruddington, Nottinghamshire, England (Europa), [Mar 1868 Basford 7b 169 or 177]. Death: ABT 1940 in Nottingham District, Nottinghamshire, England (Europa), [Mar 1940 Nottingham 7b 887, 72 yrs]
Kate Elizabeth HARRISON: Birth: 19 SEP 1870 in Ruddington, Nottinghamshire, England (Europa), [Dec 1870 Basford 7b 172]. Death: 1871 in Ruddington, Nottinghamshire, England (Europa), [Sep 1871 Basford 7b 94, 0 yrs]
Samuel HARRISON: Birth: 29 JUL 1872 in Ruddington, Nottinghamshire, England (Europa), [Mar 1872 Basford 7b 134]. Death: 1954 in Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire, England (Europa), [Mar 1954 Scunthorpe 3b 436, 80 yrs]
Herbert Edmund HARRISON: Birth: 24 JUN 1875 in Newark, Nottinghamshire, England (Europa), [Sep 1875 Newark 7b 355]. Death: ? 1937 in Surrey?, England (Europa), [Jun 1937 Surrey S.W. 2a 450, 62 yrs]
Arthur HARRISON: Birth: ABT 1879 in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England (Europa), [Jun 1879 Nottingham 7b 352 or Dec 1879 Nottingham 7b 295]. Death: ? 1913 in Nottingham District, Nottinghamshire, England (Europa), [Sep 1913 Nottingham 7b 283, 34 yrs]
Title: [UK] <b>Registration District</b> [NTT] - Basford Sub-district Wilford - birth
Page: Copy (hand copied) in personal archive issued 03 Aug 1988 GRO London; registered 01 May 1846, informant Elizabeth Harrison-Mears (mother), Ruddington
Title: [UK] <b>Registration District</b> [LIN] - Gainsborough Sub-district Gainsborough - death
Page: Copy in personal archive issued 21 Jul 1992 GRO London; 76 years, registered on 25 Sep 1922; Samuel Harrison, son, present at the death, of 3 Rivelin Crescent, Old Brumby, Scunthorpe
Text: Copy in pers. archive issued 4 Feb 1997 GRO; Foxby Hill Hospital, Gainsb., 81 years, of 10 Asquith Street Gainsb., wif,, , e of Herbert Willie Alvy a Gen. Engineers Machinist (retired), Carcinoma Left Breast C. Stamp, son 2 Balfour Street, , Gai, nsb., reg., 11/12/61
Title: [UK] <b>Registration District</b> [NTT] - Basford - marriage
Page: Copy in personal archive Issued on 07 Jul 1988 GRO London; Only Wm Harrison signs; Witnesses: Samuel Murden X and Elizabeth Smith (nee Murden) X
Note: N15418 Harrison grave nr chapel without monument [behind back wheel of bike]
<b>Harrison grave in Gainsborough cemetery burial no. 5873 for Martha & no. 10476 for William Section BCO 90537 3rd grave lying on path edge near the chapel (no headstone). </b>
"By 1801 the population of Ruddington had reached 868, and over the next hundred years it grew to 2500. The rapid population growth in the 19th century was largely due to the influx of framework knitters, who rapidly outnumbered the indigenous population. In 1805 a Workhouse was built, and by 1832 it served thirteen surrounding villages. The existing Wesleyan Methodist Church was twice enlarged and a Primitive Methodist Chapel and a Baptist Chapel built. Both subsequently required larger premises. In 1826 a large Vicarage was built in Red Lion Street, which then became known as Vicarage Lane. The Parish Church was rebuilt in 1888. Terraces of small houses were built to accommodate the framework knitters and several large houses were also erected: The Grange in 1832 for Charles Paget, South Manor in 1852 for Thomas George Augustus Parkyns to the design of T. C. Hine, and Ruddington Hall in the 1850s for Thomas Cross, Banker. The James Peacock School was rebuilt in 1874 as a Boys' School, in memory of Charles Paget and his wife who were drowned at Filey. The Infants' and Girls' School, now St. Peter's Rooms, was built in 1852 by Thomas George Augustus Parkyns in memory of his parents and his grandmother, Dame Jane Parkyns. The Co-operative Society was founded in 1860 and an increasing number of shops were opened. The number of Public Houses rose from two, the Red Heart and the Red Lion, to seven. The first Post Office was established in 1844, and the first Carrier began business in 1864, to be followed by a regular horse-bus service. Gas reached the village in 1864. When the first Parish Council was elected in 1895 Ruddington was the largest village in Nottinghamshire south of the Trent"
Over the years redevelopment and urban clearances have accounted for the destruction of many fine old corners of historic Newark. Few of these vanished treasures, however, could compete for originality with the former terrace of early 19th Century housing known as Regent Street. Although demolished in 1967, the site of Regent Street may still be easily recognised today. It ran between Albert Street and Victoria Street, on part of the site now occupied by the Co-op superstore. And although designated a street, in literal terms at least, Regent Street cannot be considered a street at all. It possessed no road and was really nothing more than a row of houses (albeit of a rather superior kind) with gardens and a walkway at the front and a passageway behind. The period of the Regency in English history - when because of George III's illness, George, Prince of Wales, acted as Prince Regent - lasted from 1811 to 1820. Regent Street in Newark, however, is of slightly later date with construction having begun in 1828. It was the work of a local man, William Kelk, who, during the early years of the 19th Century rose to become one of Newark's most influential citizens.
I wrote last week about the creating of one of Newark's most curious old streets, Regent Street. Built between 1828 and 1830, Regent Street ran between Albert Street and Victoria Street, and was the creation of a local entrepreneur named William Kelk. Yet despite being designated a street, Regent Street was not really a street at all - it possessed no road and was really nothing more than a row of houses with gardens and a walkway at the front and two passageways behind. These passageways gave access to the back doors of the houses, but did not run along the entire length of the street. For although it was possible to enter the passages from either Albert Street or Victoria Street they did not meet in the middle. The way was blocked halfway along by the rear projection of the large central house - Regent House (pictured). One former resident of Regent House, Mrs Doreen Rawson (nee Aldridge), has been recalling the time she spent living there and some of the characters who occupied other houses in the street during her early childhood. Mrs Rawson was born at Regent House (No. 8) in 1922 and lived there until 1956 when she and her husband moved to Grange Road. By the Twenties Regent House, once a grand residence built for the street's owner, William Kelk, had been divided in two with Mrs Rawson's family occupying the half which lay towards Victoria Street. Although much reduced in size, evidence of the building's former grandeur was still evident and, as a child, Mrs Rawson clearly remembers the impressively wide staircase and lofty ceilings of the first floor rooms in Regent House which overlooked the gardens below. She also remembers playing ball with the other children from the street along the back passage and recalls how the high wall behind Regent Street was kept limewashed in an attempt to reflect as much light as possible back into the houses. Mrs Rawson said: "Although it was open to the sky, on our side (i.e. entering from Victoria Street) the passage was as much as 10ft wide in places. "This made it quite wide enough for we children to play our games and for there to be outbuildings such as a group of brick sheds where we stored our dustbins and where the communal toilets were." Right up until the time they were demolished in 1967, the houses in Regent Street never had any indoor plumbing, and both toilets and a pair of cold water taps were located outside in each of the communal passageways. Adding up the number of people who relied on these facilities, Mrs Rawson recalls that in the ten houses which made up her half of Regent Street there lived a total of 44 people (one family had as many as nine children). This worked out at one lavatory to about 10 people with water for all 44 having to be drawn from the single cold tap to which they had access on the Victoria Street side. While such a lack of amenity appears almost unbelievable by modern standards, Mrs Rawson does not recall the circumstances causing any particular difficulties within the daily routine of the street. Having to obtain all one's water from an outside tap, however, did have its downside. Every drop of water used in the house had to be carried in from the yard, one bucket at a time. While this was a considerable task on ordinary days, on bath nights or Monday wash days it became a particularly heavy duty. Every suitable vessel in the house had to be pressed into service as water was carried in from the yard and heated over the coal-fired range. Then, one kettle at a time, it was poured into the dolly tub or tin bath. At the end of the day, with no inside sinks or other internal drainage, all the dirty water had to be emptied down one of a number of shared grates in the back passage. Washing and bathing, recalls Mrs Rawson, always took place in the back kitchen of the houses. Although each possessed a front room with a door onto the gardens, this was "kept for best" and very rarely used. It was the back kitchen, therefore, which was the centre of family life and where virtually all activities (apart from sleeping) took place. Remembering the layout of her mother's kitchen at Regent Street, Mrs Rawson recalls the small black leaded range (the only source of heat in the house), a wooden mangle for use on wash days and a system of bowls and buckets for washing up and taking out the slops; there were no kitchen sinks in Regent Street. Although most of the houses acquired gas cookers (and, indeed, gas lights) in the Thirties, Mrs Rawson can still recall the disruption caused by the simple act of having coal delivered to her mother's house in the Twenties. Instead of being able to unload the coal down a chute in the pavement (as was the case along most other terraced streets in Newark), coal for Regent Street had to be delivered to the back door of the houses and carried through the kitchen to a short flight of steps leading to the cellar. These steps doubled as a pantry or cold store meaning that on coal delivery days much of the family's food could become encrusted with coal dust. Circumstances such as these certainly made living in Regent Street a memorable experience. But, as Mrs Rawson said: "It never did us any harm; it was like one big happy family. If you were short of anything you could just ask next door. I used to refer to all the adults on that street as aunts and uncles. We all got on marvellously. "Mrs Cannon at No. 3 had nine children and she would take us all swimming in the Trent over Mill Bridge by Jobson's boathouse. Sometimes she would be looking after 15 of us together."
ABOVE: Regent House on Regent Street, Newark. It was demolished in 1967 (shortly after this picture was taken) and was home to Mrs Doreen Rawson for more than 30 years.
Note: 4 yrs in 1851 [Ruddington, born Ruddington]; 15 yrs in 1851; 24 yrs in 1871; 34 yrs in 1881 (Newark, born Ruddington); 44 yrs in 1891 (Gainsborough, born Ruddington); 54 yrs in 1901; 64 yrs in 1911;
Note: 8 Old Chapel Yard, Bridge Street, died of cerebral haemorage
Note: Kate Elizabeth Harrison 5 months old
Note: Kate no longer there
Note: Annie & William no longer there
Note: + grandson William Harrison 6 yrs born Newark
Note: with boarder Mary Brown 43 yrs, widow & visitor Nellie Parkinson 27 yrs with child
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.