Individual Page

Marriage: Children:
  1. John Murray: Birth: ABT 1812 in Richmond NSW.

  2. William Murray: Birth: ABT 1815 in Richmond NSW. Death: 01 MAR 1877 in Burrundulla Mudgee NSW

  3. Henry Murray: Birth: 21 DEC 1816 in Richmond NSW. Death: 1822 in Richmond NSW

  4. JAMES MURRAY: Birth: ABT 1819 in Richmond NSW. Death: 15 DEC 1878 in Liverpool NSW

Marriage: Children:
  1. Kennedy Murray: Birth: 04 AUG 1799 in Norfolk Island NSW. Death: 20 NOV 1860 in Evandale Tasmania

  2. Elizabeth Murray: Birth: 06 MAR 1802 in Norfolk Island NSW. Death: 03 MAY 1878 in Carngham Victoria

  3. Sarah Murray: Birth: 1804 in Norfolk Island NSW.

a. Note:   Dundonald Births Kennady Murray 24 Aug 1771 parents John Murray & Elizabeth Calder
  1771 MURRAY KENNADY JOHN MURRAY/ELIZABETH CALDER U DUNDONALD 590/00 0001 (This is the only record for this Murray/Calder union on Scotland's People database.)
  Kennedy Murray was baptised on August the 24th 1771 in Dundonald, Ayr, Scotland. His father was John Murray and mother Elizabeth Calder. He may have been named after his mother's mother whose maiden name was Kennedy. The Gaelic translation of the name means 'ugly head'. (Source: Robert Murray)
  Kennedy Murray was imprisoned in the Tolbooth in Glasgow & appeared before Justice Campbell on 24 August 1786 to answer charges that he stole goods from the house of Agnes Dunlop, widow of John Barr shoemaker, who resided in the Old Wynd of Glasgow, County of Lanark. The goods belonged to a travelling chapman or salesman named Malcolm Robertson. The articles stolen were in a wooden box or pack. They included 6 small table knives, 3 with black wooden handles and 3 with Hart's horn handles. All were inscribed with the maker "Ley". In addition the stolen goods included a pair of striped garters, knittings and a pair of plated buckles. It would appear Kennedy had sold most of the goods. They had been recovered and used as evidence. It is noted in the court documents that Kennedy had in December of the previous year been tried and convicted of theft, hence it was noted that he was a thief by habit and repute.
  His legal representative was John Orr of Barrowfield. His case was held over until 19 September and Alex Murray, presumed to be a relative paid 100 marks as surety for Kennedy.
  Upon returning for trial on 19th September Kennedy Murray presented a petition written by Charles Hope to the court requesting that should he be found guilty that he be banished 'to any of His Majesty's colonies or plantations.' He argued that if found guilty his character would be 'broken' and there would be no prospect of 'living comfortably' in Scotland. He stated he was willing to submit to banishment rather than risk a trial. This document was signed by Murray with two crosses.
  When Kennedy returned on 21 September for sentence his request had been granted although he was required to make alterations to his petition. He was sentenced to transportation. If he returned to Scotland within 14 years he would be incarcerated and whipped and then transported again until a 14 year period had been served.
  After nearly 4 years in the Tolbooth Murray left Yarmouth aboard the "Pitt" on 17 July 1791, and arrived in Sydney on 14 February, 1792. The "Pitt" was a member of the 4th Fleet to arrive in Sydney and had been built in 1780. There were 352 males and 58 females on board. During the voyage there were 29 deaths, 20 males and 9 females, and 5 male escapees. The master of 'The Pitt' was Edward Manning.
  Along with 80% of the 'Pitt' convicts Murray was sent to Toongabbie convict station which had a pretty bad reputation. In 1796 Kennedy was transfered to Norfolk Island. It is likely that this was because he was causing trouble.
  On Norfolk Murray formed a liaison with Ann White and three children were born from this union: Kennedy, Elizabeth and Sarah (Only Kennedy & Elizabeth were registered).
  Murray's sentence expired on 1 January 1802, and he left the island on 23 April 1802. Ann White and her children remained on Norfolk Island and formed a liaison with Richard Sydes and the family eventually moved to Tasmania.
  On gaining his freedom Kennedy headed for Ceylon but returned to Australia and was granted 30 acres at Evan on 25 November 1809. The grant was made by Govenor Paterson.
  On 14 March 1814, Murray married Ann Parker, a former convict. (There is no record of this marriage in the NSW BMD Register. According to Robert Murray the record can be found amongst records in the Mitchell Library). Four children were born from this union: John, William, Henry and James (The only registered birth for Kennedy is James but the date is 1827 and he was supposedly born in 1819 so there is a possible transcription error.)
  In the early 1820's, Murray was caught stealing chickens from Archibald Bell, a land holder in the area (Bell's Line of Road was named for Bell) He was committed for trial but was never tried or convicted.
  In September 1820 Murray placed Ann in the Lunatic Asylum at Castle Hill. She was about 34 years of age and went on to become the longest serving inmate (female?) in the 19th century.
  The 4 children were admitted to the Cabramatta Boys orphanage on 22nd October 1823. Kennedy's occupation is given as a labourer and his residence as Richmond. Minutes of the orphanage meeting state: 9th July 1823 Resolved: that the four children of Murray aged from 3 to 10 years whose mother died insane at Castle Hill and whose father is stated to be now insane be admitted into the school. (Ann did not die till 1862).
  In 1828, Murray was living on 3 acres at Pittwater with his son John and Ann Haines, who was listed as his housekeeper. They were residing in an area known as Coasters Retreat in a group of 3 huts almost on the beach. Most of the other residents of the area lived on the terraces above the basin. These huts are marked out on a surveyors report by James Larmer in 1832, and noted as Kennedy Murray's Huts on the map.
  Kennedy was not living in the huts after 1830 so it is possible that he lived here for sometime before the 1828 muster and the huts came to be commonly known as his. This might indicate that he was well known in the area and perhaps a bit of an eccentric or thought to be mad.
  Kennedy left Ann Haines and moved to Evandale, Tasmania and lived with his oldest son Kennedy who had become very prosperous. It is said that he spent his later years sitting on the back verandah with his best mate, artist John Glover, exchanging far fetched stories.
  Murray sold his land grant at Penrith to his granddaugher for 6 shillings as a wedding present. Murray died at Evandale on 18 June 1853. His death certificate listed him as a gentleman.
  Kennedy was interned in the Murray family vault. This structure became dangerous and was dismantled. There is currently no record of what became of the remains from the vault.
  Sources: Robert Murray
  From NSW State Archives MURRAY, Kennedy. Per "Pitt", 1792 1820 Memorial (Fiche 3026; 4/1825A No.529 pp.91, 94) 1823 Jul 9 His wife died insane at Castle Hill; Murray reported insane. His four children to be admitted to the Male Orphan Institution (Reel 6040; 4/400 p.56) 1823 Oct 22 Of Richmond. His sons William, Henry and James Murray admitted to the Male Orphan School (Fiche 3307; 4/7208 pp.9-10) MURRAY, James 1823 Oct 22 Admitted to the Male Orphan School; Kennedy Murray his parent/guardian (Fiche 3307; 4/7208 pp.9-10)
  There are currently 2 books being written about Kennedy Murray by descendants of his wife Ann Parker (Robert Murray and Graeme Tooth). is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.