Note: Wellsboro Agitator of Oct 9, 1929, p2 has: David Kemp. David Cook Kemp, age 98 years, one of the few remaining Civil War veterans, and one of the oldest residents of Tioga county, was buried last Tuesday in the Farmington cemetery. The services were held in the Farmington Presbyterian church, which Mr. Kemp had served faithfully as an elder since he was a young man. The death of Mr. Kemp occurred Sept. 28, after an illness of two days. The son of pineer [sic] settlers, he was born November 7, 1831, at Lawrenceville, Pa. He was mustered into army service for the term of one year on September 5, 1864, a member of Co. H, 207th Reg., Pa. Vol. Infantry, Second Brigade, Third Division, Ninth Army Corps, which was organized at Elkland. Prominent families were represented on the roster of the company. J. Edgar Parkhurst, ancestor of one of Elkland's leading families, was first lieutenant; the late Oliver Babcock, well known Elkland resident for years, was sergeant; R. F. Wood was captain. At Petersburg, Mr. Kemp was sitting behind a breastworks when his gun was struck by an exploding shell and broke in pieces. Mr. Kemp's knee was injured and his legs were so severely bruised that he suffered from the effects all his life. For the past 50 years, Mr. Kemp has resided in Farmington. Some years ago, he retired and went to live with his son, John Kemp, whose farm adjoined the Kemp homestead. Mr. Kemp was highly esteemed by a wide circle of friends. He married, Sept 2, 1854, Harriet Campbell, who died April 22, 1903. Seven children were born to them, four of whom survive: John, at whose home he died; Burt, of Troy, Pa.; Harry, of Nelson, Pa.; and Mrs. Sarah Johnson, of Nelson. Mr. Kemp also leaves several children and great-grandchildren. Mr. Kemp was a Republican and held almost every local office. It was a source of pride to him that he had always voted the Republican ticket and had voted for 19 Presidents. He was a charter member of the Wallace Bogart Post, G. A. R., and held the offices of chaplain and adjutant. He was also a member of the I. O. O. F. and the Grange. * * * http://www.joycetice.com/church/farmpres.htm has: David Kemp, who joined the church by profession November 4, 1860, at the same time his wife, Harriet, brought her church letter from Nelson, was the son of John A. Kemp, born near Auburn, N.Y., who lived in Lawrenceville, Pa., where he erected a cabinetmaker’s shop and followed that trade till 1834, when he bought 160 acres in Farmington, now owned by Hugh Kemp. He lived there till his death in 1875. David Cook Kemp was the second child of John and Phoebe (Cook) Kemp, and was born November 7, 1831, his mother being the daughter of David Cook of Cooktown, Steuben County, N.Y., On September 1, 1864, David C. Kemp enlisted in Co. H, 207th Penna. Volunteer Infantry regiment, and served to the end of the Civil War, seeing action at Hatcher’s Run and Petersburg, Va. After the war he finally purchased 115 acres in the eastern part of Farmington Township, later added 98 acres and on retirement divided it between his sons, Bert and John. He married September 2, 1854, Harried (Campbell) Parks, daughter of James Campbell of Nelson and widow of Robert Parks, by whom she had one daughter Helen, who married Erastus Knapp, father of William. David C. Kemp was elected and ordained elder in 1902. When 97 years of age he passed the communion elements on Sunday, October 7, 1928. He died September 28, 1929. His sister Mary joined the church in 1864, married Vernon Green. The children of David C. and Harriett (Campbell) Kemp were: Lettie, William, Sarah, Harry C., Bert, and John. Lettie joined the Farmington Church with her Aunt Mary Campbell, March 28, 1868, married William Allen, had children: Jesse D., Gertrude, and Marie Allen. Gertrude Allen married Fred Farley, a college dean in Oakland, Calif. And has three sons – David, Kemp and Irwin Farley. Marie makes her home with the Farleys. Jesse is married and lives in Cincinnati, Ohio. William Kemp died unmarried at the age of 23. Sarah A. Kemp joined the church, February 8, 1880, with her brother Harry. She married Edward Johnson, lived at Knoxville, Pa., had three children: Harold, Robert and Walter Johnson. Harold married Lula Sherwood, has two children, Betty and William, the latter in the Navy. Walter married Ruth Kilbourne, has an adopted son, Donald. Robert lives at Savona, N.Y,. Harold and Walter operate a farm together at Brookfield, Pa. Harry Curtis Kemp, was baptized April 16, 1870, joined the church in 1880, was elected trustee in 1915 and ordained elder in 1928, being the present clerk of the session. He married first Mattie Miller, daughter of Rev. John Wesley Miller. After her death he married Mrs. Sarah (Brimmer) Brant, lives in Lawrenceville, being a trustee and treasurer of that church. Children by his first wife: Roscoe M., Curtis Alvord, and Mary Kemp. Roscoe Miller Kemp married Crena Chilson, lives in Farmington, has four children: Dorothy, born March 11, 1917, of Canton, Pa.; Laurenza born July 20, 1918, who married Thomas Carlton Davis of the U.S. Army stationed in England, has twins: - Barry and Terry Davis, born June 22, 1943; David C. born January 11, 1920, who is in the army at Camp Davis, N.C.; Robert M. was with a field artillery battalion in Italy and was transferred to the army which invaded southern France. Curtis Alvord Kemp married May Learn and has children: Caroline, Mattie, John Wesley and Claude Harry, lives near Addison, N.Y,. Mary Harriett Kemp married Emerson Rice, lives near Norfolk (Ocean Park, Lynn Haven, Va.) has two children Lewis Emerson (18 years) and Lenore Rice. Bert J. Kemp baptized in 1878, married Miss Catherine (Kitty) White, lives at Ransomville, near Niagara Falls, N.Y., has a daughter, Helen, wife of William Arns. John A. Kemp baptized in 1878, married May Hughes, lives in Farmington has six children: Maynard, Leona, Donald, Paul, Elnora May and Theodore. Maynard J. Kemp married Ruth Learn, lives at Nelson, has two children, the older one being Timothy, and the younger one a daughter, Faith Esther, born May 16, 1944. He is active in the Methodist Church. Leona Kemp married Max Chilson, brother of Mrs. Roscoe Kemp, lives at Nelson, has four children: Paula, Jeanette, Wynn, born February 8, 1934, and Kay Chilson. Max is an elder of the Presbyterian Church, and the family faithfully attends all services. Donald Irwin Kemp married Verna Wilbur, is in the Navy at Gulfport, Miss., has a child Donald. Paul married Rosalind Cummings, lives with his father in Farmington. Elnora is married to A. Voght, lives in New York, at 101 West 89th St., and has a daughter, Barbara, born December 20, 1943. Theodore, in the Navy, married Ethel Broth of Oakland, and lives at 1101 7th Ave., San Francisco, Calif. * * * Mentioned on: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~capane/ReunionAttendance1900.html and http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~capane/ReunionMinutes1927.html and http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~capane/ReunionMinutes1928.html
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.