Note: http://www.joycetice.com/1897/ch63b.htm Brown's 1897 History of Tioga Co., PA Ch LXVIII, Biographical Sketches of Lawrence Township and Lawrenceville has: Dr. Simeon Power is one of the well-remembered pioneer physicians of Tioga county, where he settled and began the practice of medicine more than ninety years ago. He was born in Guilford, Vermont, July 5, 1784. His parents were Manasseh and Susannah (Paine) Power, the former a native of Lancaster, Massachusetts, and the latter of Chatham, on Cape Cod. His father was a veteran of the Revolution. Dr. Power came on horseback to this county in 1805, arriving at Samuel Miller’s at what is now Millerton, in the evening. He intended to remain there over night, but finding what he thought to be a rough gathering he rode on through the dark forest, made hideous by the howling of wild animals, and finally arrived near daybreak at the home of Ira Kilburn, who lived on the site of what is now the borough of Lawrenceville. Here Dr. Power decided to "hang out his shingle," but after a short stay he removed to Knoxville and from there to Tioga—then the principal village in the county. While in Tioga he was married to Polly Inscho, February 2, 1809, a daughter of Obadiah Inscho, who settled on the Cowanesque river in 1798. She was born in Northampton county, Pennsylvania, September 28, 1788, and was about ten years old when her parents came to Tioga county. In 1821 Dr. Power returned to Lawrenceville, where he continued in the active duties of his profession during the remainder of his life. He first purchased a small tract of land within the village limits. This he sold and then bought a farm near the western limits of the town, and built the "Red House" on Cowanesque street, now one of the old landmarks of Lawrenceville. Dr. Power and wife reared seven children, viz: Mary, who married Samuel Ryon; Susan, who married Frederick Thurber; Judith, who became the wife of George Thurber; Simeon I., who was elected sheriff of Tioga county in 1858 and died at Lawrenceville; Dyer, a resident of that borough; Caroline, now residing in Lawrenceville, who married George Prutsman, of Tioga, and after his death Enoch Blackwell, of Nelson; and Samantha, who lives in Corning. The four oldest children are dead. Dr. Power was a prominent factor in the early political history of the county. In 1815 he was elected the second sheriff of Tioga, which office he filled three years, and in 1851 he was chosen an associate judge and sat upon the bench the full term of five years. An ardent Democrat up to the war, he gave a loyal support to the Union cause, but gradually drifted into the Republican party. He died at his home in Lawrenceville, December 19, 1863. His wife survived him until March 14, 1868, both dying in the eightieth year of their age. They sleep side by side in the Power Cemetery, which was laid out on their farm. During the early years of his professional labors, Dr. Power’s practice extended over a vast territory—westward up the Cowanesque into Potter county; south as far as Williamsport, and northward to Addison, Painted Post and Bath. A man of fine education, a good physician, and always kind and charitable to suffering humanity, his memory is revered by his descendants and the people of the community in which he spent the greater portion of his life.
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.