Elizabeth M. Lugg: Birth: 1822 OR 1823. Death: 9 APR 1834
Note: http://www.joycetice.com/1883/farmibio.htm Munsell's 1883 History of Tioga county Pennsylvania, Biographical Appendix, Farmington Twp., has: "CHARLES LUGG was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 179, and was married in 1818 to Miss Mary Ann Chandle, of the same county. They had eight children, of whom five are now living. In 1830 Mr. Lugg brought his family to New York and proceeded to Tioga county, Pa., locating in the town of Elkland, on Thorn Bottom Creek, one and a half miles west of Nelson or Beecher's Island. There he rented a farm; but being disappointed in his conceptions of this country, returned with his family to England in 1831. In 1833, however, he returned to Tioga county, locating on what is known as Sorbes Hill, in the town of Farmington, where he bought 100 acres of land, with a log house and barn, and about 4 acres cleared. He added 150 acres to this, cleared up 200 acres, and remained on this farm until his death. He died in 1874, aged 83, His wife died in 1873. Both had been members of the Presbyterian church for over 60 years." [Note: These biographies are oral history, supplied to a interviewer/salesman. That area in Gloucestershire had some Baptists. Quakers and Catholics, but most churchgoers were members of The Church of England (Anglicans). Presbyterians would have been members of The Church of Scotland, which doesn't seem to have been present in that area at that time. Everyone paid taxes to the Church of England, and those of other faiths were sometimes persecuted at that time. - wbt] * * * Brown's 1897 History of Tioga Co., Ch 61 "CHARLES LUGG was born in Gloucestershire, England, October 11, 1791, a son of Robert and Phoebe (Haley) Lugg, the latter a cousin of Gen. Anthony Wayne. He was reared on a farm, and followed that business as a vocation all his life. He first came to the United States with his family, consisting of his wife and five children, in 1830, and located in Elkland, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He later rented a farm on Thorn Bottom creek, one mile and a half west of Nelson, on Beecher’s Island. But being disappointed with the country, he returned with his family to England in May, 1831. In the autumn of 1833 he again came to Tioga county, settling on what is known as Sober’s Hill, in Farmington township, where he purchased 100 acres of land, containing a log house and barn, and about four acres cleared. He subsequently added 150 acres to his first purchase, cleared up 200 acres of the tract, and spent the remaining years of his life on this farm. Mr. Lugg was married in England, by Rev. Edward Mansfield, August 18, 1818, to marry Ann Chandler, born June 20, 1797, a daughter of James Chandler of Gloucestershire, England, to which union were born eight children, viz: Mary A., who married Alanson Hoyt; Eliza, who became the wife of Lewis Beiver; Anthony W., Robert S., who married Rebecca Bottum; Caroline, who married Enoch Blackwell; Elizabeth and Charles. Mr. Lugg died January 13, 1874, aged eighty-three years, and his wife, March 12, 1873, aged seventy-five years. Both were members of the Presbyterian church for sixty years." * * * See his mini-bio at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~capane/LuggCharles1791.html
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.