Individual Page

a. Note:   Capt in Conf. Army (Called the Winder Cavalry of the MD Line. Capt. W.I. Rasin had a famous horse named Beauregard who survived his Civil War service until 1883 and was ridden to Appomattox by Rasin per Famous Horses of the Civil War. (Per a clause in the surrender terms at Appomattox each Confederate cavalryman was entitled to take his horse home with him.)
  Per the listing of the First Maryland Cavalry CSA Capt. William J. Raisin served in Company E was officially formed on August 6 1863 (although it was organized by April 1863 since it served in the Greenland Gap skirmish). this regiment was between Sep and Nov 1863 assigned to Lunsford Lomax's Brigade and took part in Bristol VA Campaign in Oct 1863. In Nov 1863 they formed the Maryland Line at Hanover Junction and remaind so until June 1864. They received commendations for their part in the defeating the Kilpatrick/Dahlgren raid on Richmond. They saw action at New Market VA on May 15 1864, Beaver Dam Station, Pollard's Farm on May 27 1864, The South Anna River on Jun 1 1864 and at Trevilians Station on on June 11 1864. A report of Capt. Frank Bond dated May 25 1863 states Companies E, Capt. W.I. Rasin commanding and D Lt. W.H.B. Dorsey commanding were dismounted toopen fire with their long range guns upon the house. This they did, but with little effect, and being deceived by the flag of truce sent by order of the commanding general by the hands of one of the prisoners, they rushed the house, thinking the enemy surrendered, and only discovered their error when a well-directed volley was poured into them at a distance of 20 years... At Greenland we were fired upon by three bushwackers killing Capt. Rasin's horse. We succeeded in capturing them after a chase down a steep mountain.
  !OBIT: The Chestertown Transcript June 24, 1916. Capt. William J. Rasin. On Sunday, June 18, 1916, Capt. Wm. J. Rasin, died at his late residence in Newport News, VA in his 75th from a general breakdown. He was the son of the late MacCall Rasin and Margaret Boyer of Kent Co. In his very early youth he went west, and during the first year of the war between the States came east with the purpose of going into the Southern army. He was arrested by a government detective at Stoneton, the residence of Mr. C. H. Price and taken to Washington, where he was confined in what was then known as the Old Capitol prison. From this he made a daring escape and worked his way through the Federal lines to Richmond, bearing valuable secret news to the Confederate government. He soon entered the army as a cavalryman in the Maryland line and fought valiantly to the close of the war, being onece most severely wounded. At the close of the war he came back to Kent for a short period. He married Miss Mary Garnett of Buckingham county, VA by whome he is survived. Immediately after the war he engaged with the late Harry McCoy in a lucrative business in Baltimore, during which time Capt. Rasin accumulated a considerable amount of property and became the owner of a large landed estate in Kent. Closing out his business in Baltimore he retired to his farm, Chantilley near Tolchester Beach in 1874. During his residence at Chantilley, his energies were devoted to the management of his large peach orchard, which was a paying industry at that time. In 1880 he returned to Baltimore and entered the revenue office in that city. Being an expert accountant he was made cashier, and during the greater part of two administrations held that important position, handling with great credit to himself the money that passed through his hands. A change in the office threw him out of employment. In 1900 he moved to Newport News and obtained employment with the Furness Witty Steamship Company. He was among the trusted employees of that company at the time of his death. Capt. Rasin was a man of unusual characteristics. He was one of the most high toned men I have ever known, unselfish, honest and generous to a fault. Few men understood him because of his retiring nature. those who knew him best loved and honored him as one among God's truly noble men. He finds a lasting place in Old I.U. cemetery among his friends and near the loved members of his family. Remains were brought to Still Pond on Wed. Funeral services were held from I.U.P.E. church on Thursday morning at 11 o'clock, conducted by Rev. S. S. Hepburn. The pallbearers were: Mr. Edward W. Sr., William and Edward Hepburn, Philip and Medford Brooks and Alwyn Stavely. Undertaker Wm. H. Krusen in charge of funeral arrangements.
  He moved to MO with his uncle in 1848 when his dad died. He attended school in St. Louis and began his business career in Leavenworth, KS in 1858. is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.