Note: S Mother: Ann Mary Myles. Another record says he is the son of Geoffrey Norris, son of John Norris and Alice Might.
The first of the name in the Province of Virginia was born in Congham, County Norfolk, England, circa 1608. He ran away from home when a lad of about 11 years of age and went to sea which he followed until the time of his arrival in the Province of Virginia in 1630-31. From his associated he evidently settled in Nansemond County, and being of an adventurous and roving nature he became a follower of William Claiborne in his trading adventures. It is historically well known that the earliest settlers in what later became the Province of Maryland were the members of the trading posts established by Captain William Claiborne on what was called "Kent Island," practically most of the upper Eastern Shore, in 1627. By 1633 this was quite a sizable colony, all being Church of England followers and from the Province of Virginia. In 1634 Lord Baltimore settled in St. Mary's, Maryland, and there ensued quite a controversy between Claiborne and Baltimore which can be found in other sources and need not be recapitulated here. Kent Island for all intents and purposes was considered a part of St. Mary's County with no definite separate records until October 1640. (Md. Arch. i, 39, 55, 87, 361; iii, 62, 105.) It is known that many of Claiborne's followers actually moved to St. Mary's County during the time of the Claiborne-Baltimore controversy while some of them returned to Virginia. There is record evidence that Thomas Norris was actually in St. Mary's County, Maryland, during the year 1637, i.e.,
1. Thomas was married during the year 1637 to Ann, daughter of Thomas Hynson, of Nansemond County, Virginia, and Kent Island, Maryland, and transported her to St. Mary's County, Maryland, in that year. (Records Annapolis 1637)
2. One Michael Lums died in St. Mary's County, Maryland, sometime during the year 1638, his will was probated January 4, 1639, and his estate was administered May 7, 1640, when the Provincial Court ordered the payment of his debts and among those to whom he was indebted was "Thomas Norris." (Prov. Ct. Rec. Annapolis, also Md. Arch. IV, 59-60, 89, 90)
There are no deed records in St. Mary's County, Maryland, prior to 1831, those prior to that date having been destroyed by fire. There are a few abstracts taken from Annapolis records but they do not cover the early period. There is also a lapse in the Land Records of Annapolis from 1634 to 1658, hence the name of Thomas and his associates do not show.
It appears that after his marriage Thomas settled down and became a planter and was associated with his brother-in-law, Daniel Glover, in St. Mary's County and was possibly associated with his father-in-law in Nansemond County, Virginia.
In 1643 Thomas Norris made a trip to Nansemond County, Virginia, to the home of his father-in-law. He was reported by one John Carter, who secured head rights. In 1647 he made another trip to "Nansemum" County and was reported by one L. Peeters, who also secured head rights. It can be learned by following up many of these cases that some of the suppposed immigrants in both Virginia and Maryland are really persons engaged in business and whoever transported them from colony to colony claimed land for bringing them into the Province.
Thomas Norris and Daniel Glover, his brother-in-law, whose wife was sister to Ann Hynson Norris, were "Transported" to Talbot County, Maryland, in 1663 at which time they assigned their rights for land to one John Morgan of Talbot County; Morgan did not make use of these rights until the year 1665. (Land Records Lib. 9, fol. 313). Morgan specialized in "Transporting" persons to and from Virginia to St. Mary's County, Maryland, and from St. Mary's to Talbot County, Maryland, thus securing head rights to land which he disposed of for a "consideration."
There does not appear to be any definite or distinct record of the date when Talbot was lined off from Kent as a separate jurisdiction. It is first mentioned in the Council in 1660-1661, and no original boundaries defined clearly. It, however, appears that from 1661 to 1665 Talbot embraced all territory from Kent Narrows and south of Kent Island to the Delaware line and Choptank river. In 1665 definite boundary was established between Kent and Talbot.
The first Court of Talbot County was held at the house of William Coursey, April 25, 1662. Seven Justices are named and among them is Thomas Hynson. At a Court held at the house of William Coursey, November, 1663, Edward Lloyd takes a seat as a Justice. It appears that Thomas Hynson has resigned or failed of reappointment as we find him foreman of a jury of inquest and among the jury we find the following names of interest: Thomas Hynson, Jr., John Hynson, Daniel Glover and Thomas Norris, sons and sons-in-law of said Thomas Hynson, Sr. (Ct. Rec. Talbot Co. also Hist. of Talbot Co. Tilghman, pp. 203-205)
In 1665 Thomas Norris and Daniel Glover bought 400 acres of land jointly from Cornelius Comegys. Thomas Norris deeded his share of this land to William Lads on July 26, 1668. His wife does not appear in this deed. (Deeds Lib. 1, fol. 43)
In a Power of Attorney dated June 20, 1670, from Ann Hynson, wife of Thomas Hynson, Jr., to Thomas Norris, she empowers said Norris to represent her in the sale of a parcel of land called "Grayson's Rectified," granted to Thomas Hynson, Sr., deceased. (Deeds Lib. 1, fol. 110) The sale of this land is recorded June 20, 1670, Thomas Hynson, Jr., to John Hynson, land on east fork of Wickliffe being one half of 800 acres formerly owned by Thomas Hynson, deceased, father of said Thomas and John, etc. (Deeds Lib. 1, fol. 109).
In 1673 Thomas Norris, of Talbot County, Md., had a grant of 200 acres of land called "Norrisderry," on Chester River (Lib. 17, fol. 315)
On November 6, 1675, Thomas Norris of Talbot County, Maryland, bricklayer, (son of Thomas Norris, Sr.) deeded to John Power 200 acres of land on Chester River for 13,000 pounds of tobacco. In this deed the land is called "Marklinborough" and it appears identical with the description of the land granted above in 1673.
From the above record Thomas Norris, Senior, died just prior to November, 1675, and intestate. He was evidently negotiating the sale of the 200 acres of land at the time of his demise and it was concluded by Thomas Norris, Junior, eldest son and heir at law.
Ann Norris, his wife, was evidently deceased prior to July, 1668, as she does not appear in the deed of that date as waiving dower, etc.
THOMAS NORRIS, the immigrant was born in Congham, County Norfolk,England about 1606. He ran away from home when a lad of about 11 years ofage, and went to sea, which he followed until his arrival in the provinceof Virginia in 1630-31. From his associates in Nansemond County, Va. He evidently settled there; and being of an adventurous and roving nature, he became a follower of William Claibourne in his trading ventures. It is historically well known that the earliest settlers in what was later to become the Province of Maryland, were the members of the trading posts established by Capt. William Claibourne on what was called "Kent Island", which was most of the upper eastern shore in 1627. By 1633 this was quite a sizeable colony, all being Church of England followers and from the Province of Virginia. In 1634 Lord Baltimore settled in St. Mary's, Md. ant there ensued a controversy between Claibourne and Baltimore. It is known that many of Claibourne's followers moved to St. Mary's during the time of theClaibourne-Baltimore controversy, while some of them returned toVirginia. There is a record that Thomas Norris was actually in St. Mary'sCo. during the year 1637. Thomas Norris was married during the year 1637 to Ann, daughter of Thomas Hynson of Nansemond Co. Va. and Kent Island, Md. and he transported her to St. Mary's Co. Md. during that year. (Record at Annapolis, 1637). One Michael Lums, St. Mary's Co. Md. in his will ordered his administratorsto pay debtors, among whom was Thomas Norris. (Prov. Co. Rec. Annapolis).also (Md. Archives iv 59, 60, 89, 90).
It appears that after his marriage, Thomas Norris settled and became aplanter and was associated with his brother-in-law, Daniel Glover, in St.Mary's Co. and was possibly associated with his father-in-law inNansemond Co. Va. In 1643 Thomas Norris made a trip to Nansemond Co. Va.to the home of his father-in-law, and was reported as receivingheadrights. In 1647 he made another trip to "Nansemun" Co. and wasreported by L. Peeters, who secured headrights. It can be learned byfollowing many of these cased that some of the supposed immigrants inboth Virginia and Maryland were really persons engaged in the business oftransporting people from colony to colony and claimed land for bringingthem into the province.
Thomas Norris and brother-in-law, Daniel Glover whose wife was a sister to Ann Hynson, were "transported" to Talbot Co. Md. in 1663 at which time they assigned their rights for land to John Morgan. Morgan did not make use of these headrights until 1665. (Land Grants Rec. Liber9,fol.313). Investigating the actions of this John Morgan specialized in "transporting" persons to and from Virginia to St. Mary's Co. and from St. Marys Co. to Talbott Co, Md. thus securing head rights which he disposed of "for a consideration".
Daniel Glover and Thomas Norris bought 400 acres of land jointly in 1665.(Deed Lib. 1 fol.43). In 1673 Thomas Norris of Talbott Co. Md. had agrant of 200 acres of land called "Norrisderry" on Chester River.(Lib.17, fol.315.). Many other deeds to Thomas Norris for land show up inrecords of these counties in Maryland during following years.
Thomas Norris, the immigrant, m. during the year 1637, Ann Hynson, dau.of Thomas Hynson, He d. prior to Nov. 1675. A land sale which he was negotiating at that time was concluded by his eldest son, and heir atlaw, Thomas Norris Jr., a Bricklayer. Ann Norris his wife, d. prior to1668, as her name does not appear in the deed of that date waiving dower etc.
He died just prior to Nov. 1675 and intestate. He was evidently negotiating the sale of the 200 acres of land at the time of his demise and it was concluded by Thomas Norris, jr., eldest son and heir at law. Ann Norris, his wife, was evidently deceased prior to July 1668 as she does not appear in the deed of that date as waiving dower, etc.
CH: Thomas b 1638 *Edward Oct 1639 Geoffrey died 2 or 3 yrs of age Daniel b Apr 1643, Nansemond co., VA Alice June 1644 Cuthbert Aug 1645 died aet. 23 yrs, drowned at sea. Robert Dec 1647 Nansemond Co VA Ann b circa 1650 John 1652
Note: Thomas (The Immigrant) NORRIS Birth: 1608/1609 Occupation: Planter Father: Geoffrey NORRI
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.