Individual Page

Marriage: Children:
  1. Maria Jane Rowley COOPER: Birth: ABT 1833 in Southampton, Suffolk, New York, United States. Death: 2 JUL 1901 in Southampton, Suffolk, New York, United States

  2. Sarah Elizabeth COOPER: Birth: ABT 1838 in Southampton, Suffolk, New York, United States.

  3. Person Not Viewable

1. Title:   "The Early History of Southampton, L.I., New York, With Genealogies" by George Rogers Howell, M.A. (Yale University) 1887
2. Title:   "Descendants of Edward Howell (1584-1655) of Westbury Manor, Marsh Gibbon, Buckinghamshire, [England] and Southampton. Long Island, New York" By Emma Howell Ross, 1st Edition, The University Press, Winchester, Massachusetts 1968, Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 68-58987, and 2nd Edition, Gateway Press, Inc., Baltimore 1985, Revised and prepared for publication by David Faris, Genealogist, Edward Howell Family Association
3. Title:
4. Title:

a. Continued:   He was a sea captain in the whaling enterprise and when in command of the Manhattan of Sag Harbor, having rescued twenty-two shipwrecked Japanese from starvation and death, repaired with his ship boldly to the port of Jeddo to deliver there those he had saved. This was the first visit of an American vessel to the harbor of that city and occurred in the year 1845. The act made a great and favorable impression on the minds of that people and doubtless made a negotiation of a treaty of commerce with the United States by Commodore Perry more easy of accomplishment in his subsequent visit. He died Apr. 24, 1872, at Barranquilla, Columbia, S.A., where he had gone a few months previous in the hope of a restoration to health. (History of Southampton) .............................................................
  <b>Mercator Cooper</b> (September 29, 1803 - Spring 1872) was a ship's captain who is credited with the first formal American visit to Tokyo and the first formal landing on the mainland East Antarctica. Both events occurred while sailing ships out of Sag Harbor, New York, where he was born.
  <b>Visit of the <i>Manhattan</i> to Tokyo
  </b>On November 9, 1843, Cooper left Sag Harbor as captain of the 440-ton ship <i>Manhattan</i> on a whaling voyage. On March 14-15, 1845 the <i>Manhattan</i> picked up 11 Japanese sailors[1] in the southern Japanese islands.[2] Outside of Tokyo Bay four of the survivors took a Japanese boat with a message that Cooper wanted to deliver the remainder to the harbor.[3] The Japanese normally wanted to avoid contact with outsiders because of the Tokugawa Shogunate policy of Sakoku.
  However, on April 18, 1845, an emissary from the shogun gave the ship permission to proceed -- accompanied by "about three hundred Japanese boats with about 15 men in each took the ship in tow" according to Cooper's log. "They took all our arms out to keep till we left. There were several of the nobility came on board to see the ship. They appeared very friendly." The Japanese examined his ship and took particular note of Pyrrhus Concer, a crewman from Southampton who was the only African American on board, and a Shinnecock Native American named Eleazar -- the first dark skinned men the Japanese had seen and they wanted to touch their skin.
  The Japanese refused payment for provisions and gave them water, 20 sacks of rice, two sacks of wheat, a box of flour, 11 sacks of sweet potatoes, 50 fowl, two cords of wood, radishes and 10 pounds of tea, thanked them for returning their sailors, and told them to never return.
  On April 21, the 300 boats towed the <i>Manhattan</i> 20 miles out to sea. Cooper took with him a map that charted the islands of Japan that had been found on the disabled Japanese ship. He was to turn the map over to the United States government when the ship returned to Sag Harbor on October 14, 1846. Matthew Perry was said to have used the map on his visit with four U.S. warships on July 8, 1853.
  Cooper's home in Southampton (village), New York is now owned by the Southampton Library. Pyrrhus Concer is buried in the North End Cemetery in Southampton across from Cooper's home.
  <b>First visitor to Antarctica
  </b>In August 1851, Cooper again left Sag Harbor, this time as captain of the 382-ton ship <i>Levant</i>[4] on a mixed whaling and sealing voyage.[5] Making a quick passage through the belt of pack ice in the Ross Sea, on January 26, 1853, he sighted land, an ice shelf backed by a high mountain some 70 to 100 miles distant. The next morning, the ice shelf still in sight, with high mountains looming behind it, he sailed the ship close inshore and ordered a boat to be lowered. They made a landing on the ice shelf, reportedly seeing numerous penguins, but no seals — their chief objective. The landing occurred on what is now known as the Oates Coast of Victoria Land, in East Antarctica. It is arguably "the first adequately documented continental landing" in not only this area, but on the mainland of Antarctica itself. They stayed within sight of land for several days, sighting the Balleny Islands on February 2.[6][7][8] At the conclusion of the voyage the <i>Levant</i> was sold in China.
  The logbook from the voyage is in the Long Island Room of the East Hampton Library in East Hampton (village), New York.
  Cooper died in Barranquilla, Colombia, South America. His date of death is sometimes reported as March 23, 1872[9] or April 24, 1872.[10]
  <b>References and notes
  </b>1. A Cold Welcome in Japan When an LI ship sailed into Tokyo's bay, it was met with curiosity and hostility by Bill Bleyer - Newsday - Long Island Our Story 2. The cited Newsday article refers to the relevant island as St. Peter, a European name for one of the islets (rocks) in the Bonin Islands group. 3. The cited Newsday article says four shipwreck survivors went onland to deliver the message. However the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State thesis Commodore Perry’s 1853 Japanese Expedition: How Whaling Influenced the Event that Revolutionized Japan by Terry Burcin says that Cooper went ashore with two of the shipwrecked Japanese and explored the coast and then returned to his ship to await word. 4. There was also a sloop at this time called the USS <i>Levant</i>, but this was a different vessel. 5. Starbuck (1878), pp. 490-91. Starbuck says Cooper sent home 12,560 pounds of "bone" (whalebone). 6. Mills (2003), pp. 160-61. 7. Encyclopedia of Antarctica and the Southern Oceans By Bernard (EDT) Stonehouse, p 349 ISBN 0471986658 8. Antarctic Circle - Antarctic First 9. Long Island Genealogy 10. Howell Research Retrieved from
  "" .............................................................
  THE FIRST VISIT OF AN AMERICAN SHIP TO JAPAN AND ITS RESULTS. By George R. Howell. [Read before the Albany Institute, May 21,1872.]
  Thirty years ago thirty millions of people were living in the empire of Japan almost as much isolated from the rest of the world as if they had been denizens of the planet Jupiter. A solitary Dutch ship freighted with the products of the industry or soil of Europe and the large islands of the Pacific, semi-annually sailed from Batavia for traffic with this sea-girt empire bound, however, not for the harbor of their metropolis, but for the inferior city of Nagasaki on the outposts of their realm ; and this comprised their commerce with the western world. They had attained a high degree of civilization. They had a complicated form of government, and their country was divided into grand divisions, provinces, districts, cities and towns. They tolerated systems of religion not intolerant themselves. Printing had been in use for six hundred years. Japan was full of books, often profusely illustrated and no branch of literature was neglected. Poets, novelists and historians had no lack of readers. Public schools free and accessible to all are said to have existed, maintained at the expense of the state. Such was the country whose barriers the advent of an American sea-captain, on a mission of mercy, was to smite down for the introduction of western civilization and commerce and of Christianity.
  The first American vessel to visit the coast of Japan was the Morrison fitted out by an American mercantile house at Macao in 1837. The object of this voyage was to return seven Japanese rescued from ship wreck and brought into Macao, and at the same time to lay a foundation for trade and missionary effort. But the rescued sailors were not permitted to land and on communication with the capital, the vessel was driven off by a vigorous cannonade and returned to Macao ; not one of her objects having been attained.
  The next attempt, which is the subject of this paper, was more successful. It was made in 1845 by <b>Capt. Mercator Cooper</b>, in the whale ship Manhattan of Sag Harbor, L. I. Capt. Cooper was born in Southampton, L. I., in the year 1803. When a young man he engaged in the whale fishery and rapidly rose to the command of a ship, and at the time of his visit to Japan, it would be difficult, from the evidence of seafaring men to find his superior in seamanship and in a thorough knowledge of all the minute details of theory and practice that pertain to his profession. The first week in April, 1845, found the Manhattan off St. Peter's, a small uninhabited island, a few leagues to the southeast of Niphon. Upon lauding here to capture some turtle discovered on the shore, they found a number of Japanese sailors who had been shipwrecked with no means of returning to their homes. Capt. Cooper communicated to them by signs his willingness to take them to Japan and accepting the offer they embarked and the ship took up her course for Jeddo. Aside from feelings of humanity, and besides a strong personal desire to enter a port and behold the mysteries so long guarded from the world, Capt. Cooper hoped by this act of kindness to make a favorable impression upon the Japanese in respect to the civilization of the United States and its friendly disposition towards them. These considerations led him to steer boldly for the capital, notwithstanding the well known regulations prohibiting the entrance of all foreign vessels into that harbor.
  As if to add emphasis to this errand of humanity, on the second day out from St. Peter's a dismasted Japanese junk was discovered in a sinking condition from which eleven other sailors were rescued and informed of the purpose of the Americans to restore them to their homes. Arriving on the coast of Niphon he despatched two of the natives he had rescued with a message to the emperor announcing his intention to enter the harbor of Jeddo. In due time he passed through the straits or channel leading from the open sea to the hay and entered the bay itself deep within which the city is situated. Here a barge met him, coming from the city, the commander of which notified him of the arrival of his messengers and the emperor's permission for him to proceed further up the bay. He was directed to anchor for the night under a certain headland. The next morning the ship was surrounded with hundreds of boats manned with oarsmen and men-at-arms liberally furnished with swords and spears. These boats formed in several long lines, were made fast to each other and to the ship by ropes and awaited the signal to advance. Tho Manhattan then hove up her anchor and amid the shouts of the multitude of boatmen was towed up to anew anchorage within a few miles of the city. Here he was visited by large numbers of the Japanese of all ranks, but neither himself nor any of his crew were permitted to land themselves.
  Conversation with the Japanese officials was carried on through a Dutch interpreter. The frank and manly bearing of Capt. Cooper, as well as his personal kindness to his passengers, won the confidence and respect of the representatives of the government, and in particular of the governor of Jeddo who had many interviews with him. During his stay this officer treated him with marked courtesy and on his subsequent visit to New York as one of the principal personages of the Japanese embassy, made particular inquiries of his welfare.
  The prohibition to land was no paper blockade. On the first morning after the anchoring of the ship, the spectator soon saw there was a well ordered plan developing in the movements of the hundreds of boats flashing through the harbor. About a hundred feet from the ship, and. perfectly encompassing it, a line of boats was formed, lashed together, their sides touching, and their sterns toward the Manhattan. In .the midst of this circle, between the ship and the city, a large junk was stationed, in which were the officers of the guard. Outside of these, at the distance of about a hundred feet was another circle of boats, not so numerous, and beyond this, a third circle still more scattering, but each circle made complete by passing a hawser around from boat to boat, to which they were all fastened. Hundreds of boats tilled with men in gay uniform, gorgeous banners of strange and unknown devices, and thousands of lances, naked and glittering in the sunlight, or sheathed in lacquered stuff, made a brilliant spectacle by day, and transparencies-and lanterns in countless numbers and of all fantastic shapes, dancing in the movement of the waves, furnished a still more brilliant scene at night. Within that cordon of boats floated for the first time in those waters the American flag.
  In the conversation with the governor of Jeddo, the whole subject of the entry of the American vessel into their harbor was discussed. Capt. Cooper was informed that the only reason of his being allowed to remain in the waters of Japan was because the emperor felt assured he could not be a " bad-hearted foreigner," from the fact that he had come so far out of his course to restore poor people who were strangers to him to their homes. He was repeatedly told that the emperor " thought well of his heart," and consequently orders had been forwarded to treat him with great attention and supply all his wants. The day before his departure the emperor sent him his autograph as a token of his respect and consideration. But that the visit might not be repeated, even as an errand of humanity, Capt. Cooper was instructed to leave with the Chinese or Dutch any other Japanese should he chance to rescue them from similar peril. And on learning his intention to visit Petropaulowski and afterwards Holland on his voyage homeward, these facts were communicated to the emperor, who had the following open paper sent to Captain Cooper which he was to exhibit wherever he mentioned his visit that it might not be regarded as a precedent for all who chose to follow.
  "I am informed, by the mouths of some shipwrecked persons of our country, that they have been brought home by your ship, and that they have been well treated. Now it is our law, that such persons should not be received from the hand of foreign countries, except China and Holland. But in the present case, we shall make an exception, because the return of these men by you must be attributed to your ignorance of this law. In future Japanese subjects will not be received in like circumstances, and will have to be treated rigorously when returned. You are hereby advised of this and that you must make it known to others.
  " That provision, firewood, water from the long time spent on the voyage are scarce upon the ship, this is heard and these things are granted.
  " On receipt of this order the ship must speedily depart, and not remain near by this land, but actually return to its own country."
  The Manhattan remained in the harbor four days, during which time the captain received the supplies he needed, for which no compensation would be taken. When the ship was sufficiently recruited and ready for sea, adverse winds presented no impediment to the governor. The guard boats broke up and wheeled again into long lines and towed the Manhattan out of the bay and channel till she gained a sufficient offing, when she set her sails and resumed her voyage.
  That this visit made a great impression on the Japanese mind or rather on the disposition of the government towards the United States seems to be evident. It doubtless did much to prepare the way for subsequent negotiations by another citizen of this state, Townsend Harris, and for the success of Commodore Perry's expedition sent out by our government to establish a treaty for trade and commerce with this empire.
  Capt. Cooper died April 24, 1872, at Barranquilla, Colombia, S. A., where he had gone a few mouths previous with the hope of a restoration to health.
  Transactions of the Albany Institute, Volume 9  By Albany Institute [pages 148-152] ...........................................................
  -----Original Message----- From: Doug Hanke [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 1:38 PM To: 'Patricia Penning' Subject: RE: Mercator Cooper   Pat - I found a picture of Capt. Mercator Cooper on orfollowing page 234 of the book "History of the Town of Southampton (eastof Canoe Place)" by James Truslow Adams:   -----Original Message----- From: Patricia Penning [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 10:50 PM To: [email protected] Subject: Mercator Cooper   I can see that from August you are still working away.  The Edward Howell Family Assoc. is about to have its annual meeting on Oct. 9.  With help from your Cooper page I was able to write a story about Capt Mercator Cooper and his mother Olive Howell who was known as Olly.  I love the idea that the whaler was descended from four Jonahs. The group will be visiting the house he built in Southampton.   Wish I knew more about the living relatives.  I can see that another Cooper married a Howell.
  Tenax (motto) Patricia B. Penning ...........................................................
  37. MERCATOR7 COOPER (NATHAN6, ZOPHAR5, ABIGAIL4 REEVES, JOHN3, THOMAS REEVES2 JR., THOMAS1 REEVES) was born 29 Sep 1803 in Sag Harbor, Suffolk Co., NY, and died 23 Mar 1872 in Baranquillo, Colombia, South America. He married (1) MARIA JANE GREEN. She was born Abt. 1806 in Southampton, Suffolk Co., NY, and died Bef. 1860 in Southampton, Suffolk Co., NY. He married (2) SOPHIA JESSUP FOSTER 05 Mar 1848 in Southampton, Long Island, NY. She was born 05 Jul 1813 in Southampton, Suffolk Co., NY, and died 14 Jan 1894 in Southampton, Suffolk Co., NY.
  Two monuments mark the accomplishments of Cooper and the Manhattan. One was erected in Tokyo in 1972. The other stands in Southampton Cemetery on Windmill Lane across from the captain's house.
  Children of MERCATOR COOPER and MARIA GREEN are: i. NATHAN B8 COOPER, b. Southampton, Suffolk Co., NY; d. D.Y..61. ii. MARIA JANE COOPER, b. Abt. 1833, Southampton, Suffolk Co., NY; d. 02 Jul 1901, Southampton, Suffolk Co., NY. iii. SARAH ELIZABETH COOPER, b. Abt. 1838, Southampton, Suffolk Co., NY. .............................................................

b. Continued:   <b>Capt Murcator Cooper </b>Birth: unknown Death: Mar. 24, 1872
  Inscription: Ae 68
  Burial: Southampton Cemetery  Southampton Suffolk County New York, USA   Created by: Fred Saar Record added: Jan 25, 2009  Find A Grave Memorial# 33233881 ................................................... is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.